FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Old Wrench, New Builder

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Old Wrench, New Builder

Greetings to all out there in F5 land.
    Last month I sold a 1964 Ford Fairlane (427FE Thunderbolt Clone) to a fellow in GA. I'm as far away as I can get from my car (not being in Alaska). I'm in Oregon, so a three year build, six years, and 48 awards later, its gone, never to be seen again. On to another adventure.
    I first sent for the MK4 info/data package from FFR three years ago. I've been mulling it over awhile now! So with the sale of the T-Bolt I ordered the MK 4 as soon as the car was delivered to the new owner in GA.
    I've built and/or restored 6 classic/muscle cars. 56 Chevy Belair, 64 Fairlane, 64 Galaxy, 70 Cougar, 29 Chevy Pick Up, 47 Merc Coupe. I still have the 427 Fe powered Cougar, the 427 SBF Merc, and the 283 powered 29 Chevy (the wifes) I'm halfway through a rotiserie restoration on a 57 Studebaker Silverhawk with a 331 SBF stroker. The Stude will be done with metal fab and in primer just about the time my MK4 kit ships.....Febuary 24th. So that will go on the back burner for a year or so.
    I scored a 1969 Ford 351W (with the short deck height) last summer for $250. I had the machine shop clean up the block and bore it .060 over. With the Scat Stroker kit I oredered that will get it to 425 and change. Close enough that I'll badge the engine a 427. I have the exact same engine set up in the 47 Merc Coupe.
    CJ Pony parts sells a Ford 9" rear end assembly that will bolt into any 1987 to 1993 Mustang in place of the 8.8. The rearend is made by a company called Quick Performance. I ordered it the same day I ordered the kit. I also ordered the 4 Link set up in the MK4 as the 9" wont work with the 3 Link.
    A fine fellow on the East Coast supplied me with the plans for the body buck and the materials are in the shop waiting for me to stop welding for a few hours. So when the kit arrives mid March I'll have a place for the body.
    I generaly put in 6 hours a day in the shop, so after lunch everyday I'll have time to bore you all with my daily escapades. Expect the daily torture to commence mid March. I'll drop a few lines between now and then as my non-F5 "parts" arrive.

More to be revealed!!
    Rebostar

2. Likes Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness! Let us now how we can help. My MkIII has been on the road for 12 years. Best think I ever did in the garage.
    FFR 5385 MKIII. 302, 3-Link. All legal in MA 1/7/2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the madness

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    Welcome to the madness! Let us now how we can help. My MkIII has been on the road for 12 years. Best think I ever did in the garage.
    Thanks Scott, loved your "peoples republic of Mass" I was born in Northampton and spent most of my youth in the Birkshires. I left for good when I was 16. Hitchiked to Washington State and never went back except for a couple funerals and a wedding. Been in Alaska or the Pacific NW ever since. Except a couple years in Hawaii and a year in Arizona. Ahhh the life of an itinerant helicopter mechanic! Oh Yea and there was that stint in the US Army as well, but nothing good happend there.
    I'm looking forward to connecting with some good F5 folks living in North West Oregon. The sheer variety of the builds, and all the different ways folks find a way to get things done impresses me. I'm not ashamed to steal any good ideas. I'll give credit three times where due, Then it's my modification!

Nothing to post yet. The Edlebrock Heads came in today. Now the only thing holding me back from building the engine is the Scat rotating assy. They say the pistons will be in their shop on Friday, then next Monday or Tuesday out the door to me.

Rebostar

Post Thanks / Like
    It must be hard to let go! Welcome and enjoy your new venture

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck. with your experience and available time, I'm sure you'll have this project knocked out in no time.