BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Jespinosaesq's MKIV "Godzilla" Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Jespinosaesq's MKIV "Godzilla" Build Thread

I have been interested in building an MK IV roadster for years but never got around to it. A friend of mine knew that I always wanted to build a roadster and caught wind that someone local had a kit and was interested in selling. When I went to look at the MK IV Roadster kit, the kit was in its early stages of the build and the Seller had already purchased an engine and transmission. I had always wanted to build the MK IV with the Coyote, but the Seller had already purchased the 7.3L Godzilla engine. We went back and forth for a while, and it made sense for both parties to sell the kit with the engine and transmission together. At first, I was worried since there is a wealth of knowledge on the Coyote swap but not much info on the Godzilla swap, but I remembered that at one point the Coyote swap was not very common and it took a few years before it got to its current state. Additionally, there are quite a few experienced builders on this forum that could help with my multitude of questions.

So, I am building my MK IV with a Godzilla and TKX and figured it would be a good idea to document the build on the forums. The car will be a cruiser/driver to be used on the weekends or during the week to go to work or take my kids for a joy ride. I want to build positive memories for my children during the build process and selfishly get them into cars at the same time while I get to enjoy my hobby. Below are a few basic details on the kit purchased.

Purchased October 2023/ Kit produced 04/2022
    Mk IV complete Kit, Powdercoated Chassis, and body cutouts
    31 Spline IRS 8.375' Driveshaft
    Black Vinyl Seats
    Power Steering Components
    2015 IRS Parts Kit
    FFR GPS Gauge Set
    17x9/10.5 Halibrand Wheels and Nitto Tires
    Wind Wings
    Sun Visors
    Front and Rear Swaybar
    CF Dash w/ Glove Box (Purchased later)
    MK IV Logo Floormats
    Center Dash Support
    14" Leather Steering Wheel
    Trunk Gas Strut Kit
    12.88 Front Wilwood Brakes (Red)
    Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder Kit
    Brake Duct Wire Mesh
    Blank Dash

Engine and Transmission:
    7.3 Godzilla Crate Motor 525hp package by Proformance Unlimited
    Zero Degree Timing Lock Out
    Custom Oil Pan (modified for needed clearance)
    Behive Performance Valve Springs
    ATI Super Damper Harmonic Balancer
    Holley Fuel Rail Kit
    Holley Terminator X-Max Computer
    Custom Wiring Harness for the Holley
    CVF Pulley Kit
    MSD 8.5MM Plug Wires
    Indy Power Products Billet Valve Covers
    Tremec TKX
    Flywheel/ Clutch/ Bellhousing
    Apex Solutions Hydraulic Clutch

Additions:
    Russ Thompson Drop Trunk
    Ie427 steering wheel hub w/ quick disconnect hub (Future purchase when ready)
    Forte Godzilla Motor Mounts
    And honestly many, many more parts I have yet to think about.

2. Likes cv2065, 65 Cobra Dude, Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few pics from when we went to go pick up the kit.

I never realized how many boxes where in the kit till the day I went to pick them all up...

PXL_20231010_160612314.jpg

The Godzilla Engine fit in the truck bed with a few other boxes

Engine ready for transport.jpg

A few forum members recommended a U-haul trailer and it worked perfectly

PXL_20231010_170138568.MP.jpg

PXL_20231010_170324953.jpg

We though we wouldn't fit all the boxes in one trip but we were able to. This is just some of the boxes but it made for a good picture.

PXL_20231010_201013300.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few pictures of the Godzilla motor when they were getting it all together in Proformance Unlimited

IMG-20230714-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230714-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230714-WA0003.jpg

5. Likes Mike.Bray, Railroad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice!!
    I’ll be logging on from time to time to follow your project as you progress.

And, once done…enjoy that big block power! 👍🏼😁
    Once again with an 88 mm Turbo, Big Block Chevy powered, ‘35 Hot Rod Pickup

7. Thanks Jespinosa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost went this path but wasn't quite baked at the time. I'm assuming you went with the Indy Products oil pump conversion kit? I look forward to your build!
    Last edited by cv2065; 02-06-2024 at 04:59 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

9. Thanks Jespinosa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the Godzilla and looking forward to seeing the build progress.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

11. Thanks Jespinosa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! I'll be following along.

13. Thanks Jespinosa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just did this in a type 65 Godzilla and T56 magnum... You will probably need the Indy Power Products cobra pan, I experimented with a different pan and it hung down 2" below the body chassis. If you need help reach out.

I made the headers and motor mounts, you can check out the video on my YouTube CWI Performance.

I also assume you will be using the Jolt Harness? If you use the new BTR cam and lock out it will make 600/600 ish, I have a godzilla in my Foxbody that makes about 1400hp and we track it on road courses.

15. Likes Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Almost went this path but wasn't quite baked at the time. I'm assuming you went with the Indy Products oil pump conversion kit? I look forward to your build!
    Not sure exactly what kit was used to be honest, since I did not originally order the engine, but it isn't the stock oil pan and has been modified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Folkestad View Post
    Just did this in a type 65 Godzilla and T56 magnum... You will probably need the Indy Power Products cobra pan, I experimented with a different pan and it hung down 2" below the body chassis. If you need help reach out.

I made the headers and motor mounts, you can check out the video on my YouTube CWI Performance.

I also assume you will be using the Jolt Harness? If you use the new BTR cam and lock out it will make 600/600 ish, I have a godzilla in my Foxbody that makes about 1400hp and we track it on road courses.
    Which pan did you experiment with?? I am not sure which one was used in my application as I did not order the engine, but it didn't look stock. The engine is currently in a warehouse owned by a family member to give me more space in my garage until I need it.

One quick question, I was thinking of using the stock exhaust manifolds and flipping them to opposite sides and doing a custom j-pipe to the side exhaust. Did you ever contemplate this idea?

The harness was prepared by the engine builder to work with the Holley Terminator x-max computer. I don't think there was any off the shelf stuff at the time, so he worked with Holley and made his own harness to get it to work. As far as it having a Jolt harness, I honestly have no idea.

I watched the CWI Performance video and subscribed to future videos. The type 65 with the Godzilla and the Innov8 ITB's looks amazing. I wish I could do custom headers myself but creating headers is definitely past my mechanical ability. Keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jespinosa View Post
    I wish I could do custom headers myself but creating headers is definitely past my mechanical ability. Keep up the good work.
    Have you reached out to Gas N about headers? Georgie might be able to help you.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure exactly what kit was used to be honest, since I did not originally order the engine, but it isn't the stock oil pan and has been modified.
    There are two choices now. Indy products which is very proprietary and Holley, which made theirs more 3rd party friendly. Holley's system is about 1/2 of what the Indy program cost. Either way, you are relocating the oil pump to the front as a chain driven system with a low profile oil pan. I'm not sure if anyone has created motor mounts that you can just buy, so you'll want to look into that maybe with Mike Forte. Georgie with Gas N Pipes was looking to make a version of headers and pipes for the Godzilla but I think someone will need to order his Frankenstein system and help him create them from scratch once the engine is installed. You'll also have to modify the drive shaft. Mike Forte might be able to help with that as well. Not sure which harness you'll be able to use with little fuss, but I think OBR makes the best option at this point.

I attempted to get more info from the Backdraft people, as they have put the Godzilla in their cars, but they won't help you. Not even a little. I do know that they use the Indy system.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post
    Have you reached out to Gas N about headers? Georgie might be able to help you.
    I did reach out to him last year and he didn't seem to be interested in making headers for the Godzilla.

I might reach out to him again in the future to see if that has changed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two choices now. Indy products which is very proprietary and Holley, which made theirs more 3rd party friendly. Holley's system is about 1/2 of what the Indy program cost. Either way, you are relocating the oil pump to the front as a chain driven system with a low profile oil pan. I'm not sure if anyone has created motor mounts that you can just buy, so you'll want to look into that maybe with Mike Forte. Georgie with Gas N Pipes was looking to make a version of headers and pipes for the Godzilla but I think someone will need to order his Frankenstein system and help him create them from scratch once the engine is installed. You'll also have to modify the drive shaft. Mike Forte might be able to help with that as well. Not sure which harness you'll be able to use with little fuss, but I think OBR makes the best option at this point.

I attempted to get more info from the Backdraft people, as they have put the Godzilla in their cars, but they won't help you. Not even a little. I do know that they use the Indy system.
    Forte is working on some motor mounts for me as we speak.

When the motor was ordered from the engine builder it was built with the intention of putting it in the Cobra. But the engine was built more than a year ago and a lot has changed in the aftermarket since then for the Godzilla. I need to confirm how much clearance actually was gained by the modification to see if I might have to use another method like the one's you mentioned. Hopefully not as it get expensive real quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Backdraft cars are way different than Factory 5, SuperPerformance adn Backdraft both use the 7.3, Call Jim at INdy and he can help out. The holley pan is about 3-4" too deep to work correctly in these cars, it's already been tried. FWIW I own the machine shop that builds most of Indy's products. OBR or Holley will work fine for an ECU, OBR is easier and probably better especially with Individual Throttle bodies. Get a Fabricator to make the headers, I thought we could take the Type 65 and make some swap parts at my shop but putting the Godzilla in it was a little advance for most home builders. I had to move some tubes on the chassis to do it right.

23. Likes Railroad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a while since I posted anything, but I might as well update everyone on some of the previous work that has been done. This work was done a few months back, but I figure it would be good to post it. My kit came with the Wilwood brakes for the front, so I put together the front rotors as per Willwood's instructions:

Brake Rotor 2.jpg
    Brake Rotor.jpg

I finished installing the rotor and brakes on both sides.

Brakes Installed D.jpg

Brakes Installed P.jpg

And finished most of the front suspension installation. Now would have been a good time to check if the steering rods fit in the arms but unfortunately, I did not check this and I had to take this all apart in the future.
    Front Suspension Installed D.jpg

Front Suspension Installed P.jpg

The last pics is of the differential that came with my kit. I took a picture to figure out the gearing. From the looks of it the gearing is 3.55 but the kit was order with 3.73 speedo gear which had me questioning it. The kit must have been ordered with the 3.73 gear in mind and the Seller changed their mind when they purchased the differential in the future?? Who knows....the endless mysteries and fun of buying a kit of someone else.
    Rear Diff.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The last pics is of the differential that came with my kit. I took a picture to figure out the gearing. From the looks of it the gearing is 3.55 but the kit was order with 3.73 speedo gear which had me questioning it. The kit must have been ordered with the 3.73 gear in mind and the Seller changed their mind when they purchased the differential in the future?? Who knows....the endless mysteries and fun of buying a kit of someone else.
    Rear Diff.jpg
    Yes, that's a 3.55 diff. Factory Five has only ever sold 3.55 diffs. They sell the NIB M-4001-88355B from Ford Performance. That's the only version Ford Performance currently sells. In 2017, when I build my Coupe, Ford Performance was still selling a 3.73 Torsen (M-4001-88373T) but they discontinued it. I was able to get one of the last ones. Even when it was available, I never saw that version offered by Factory Five. So I question whether there was an order for a 3.73 from Factory Five.

Having said that, the picture posted appears to be a used one. Nothing wrong with that. Lots got that way.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-23-2024 at 03:55 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Yes, that's a 3.55 diff. Factory Five has only ever sold 3.55 diffs. They sell the NIB M-4001-88355B from Ford Performance. That's the only version Ford Performance currently sells. In 2017, when I build my Coupe, Ford Performance was still selling a 3.73 Torsen (M-4001-88373T) but they discontinued it. I was able to get one of the last ones. Even when it was available, I never saw that version offered by Factory Five. So I question whether there was an order for a 3.73 from Factory Five.

Having said that, the picture posted appears to be a used one. Nothing wrong with that. Lots got that way.
    The diff was not purchased from Factory 5 as it wasn't included in the original PO.

What confused me was the inclusion of the 3.73 gear in the PO, which if I recall doesn't get used since I have GPS gauges??

Thanks for the clarification on the gearing Edward.

Post Thanks / Like
    The diff was not purchased from Factory 5 as it wasn't included in the original PO.

What confused me was the inclusion of the 3.73 gear in the PO, which if I recall doesn't get used since I have GPS gauges??

Thanks for the clarification on the gearing Edward.
    I misunderstood your post. Sorry.

Right. With GPS gauges, you don't care about speedo gears, tire sizes, whatever. Just hang the antenna and go.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I misunderstood your post. Sorry.

Right. With GPS gauges, you don't care about speedo gears, tire sizes, whatever. Just hang the antenna and go.
    No need to be sorry as your expertise is greatly appreciated.

I wrote on my post that the diff came with my kit, so your response makes total sense.

Thanks for the confirmation on not needing the speedo gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, one of the pitfalls of buying a kit from someone else is the jumbling of parts. The kit already is a large mix of parts but since I bought it from someone else, I spend a lot of time looking for parts as they are not in the original box that factory five put them in. I tried to organize as much as possible and keep notes as to where some parts are, but sometimes certain parts really enjoy being extra hidden.

Case in point the brake parts. I am at the point where I am trying to run the brake lines and I cannot seem to find the brackets for the front flexible brake line to the frame. I found the corresponding bag but I cannot find the brackets. Here is what I found in bag 11076 which should have the brackets:

Bag 11076 and Willwood bag.jpg

Unfortunately, some of the fittings inside the Willwood brake line kit are rusted already and I don't feel comfortable using them:

rusted fittings.jpg

These are the brackets from the rear but I do not see any of these for the front:

Rear Brake Brackets.jpg

So it seems that I am missing some parts or am I supposed to use the triangular brackets that the instructions say not to use??