Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Rebostar MK4 Build in Gaston Oregon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebostar View Post
    1969 Camaro.
    I talked with a tech at FFR about the spindles. The discission was concerning the front brake attachments. I was told that the spindles supplied with the complete kit will fit any brakes, bearings, or hubs, that would fit an 86 to 93 Mustang with a 5 lug set up.
    You were given incorrect information. The FFR proprietary spindles that are part of the complete kit are incompatible with the 1993 and earlier brakes, rotors and bearings. They use sealed 1994 and up bearings and rotors along with 2 piston PBR (actually aftermarket PBR generic) calipers.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff
    That really bums me out. I talked with Dan at FFR specifcly about using Wilwood brakes (P/N 140-11018-DR) on the kit supplied spindles. He told me they would work if they fit the 87 to 93 five lug spindles. The tech at Wilwood said these brakes would work on them as well.

The brakes will be here on Tuesday, The Kit arrives on the 29th so we shall find out soon enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff
    That really bums me out. I talked with Dan at FFR specifcly about using Wilwood brakes (P/N 140-11018-DR) on the kit supplied spindles. He told me they would work if they fit the 87 to 93 five lug spindles. The tech at Wilwood said these brakes would work on them as well.

The brakes will be here on Tuesday, The Kit arrives on the 29th so we shall find out soon enough!

The Wilwood 140-11018-DR fits Fox Mustang '87-93 spindles.

https://www.wilwood.com/brakekits/Br...o=140-11018-DR

You told us earlier:
    I got the FFR spindles that come with the complete kit.
    As I said in my previous reply the FFR spindles are designed to use 1999 and later Mustang components (hubs, bearings, rotors, calipers). That Wilwood kit is not gonna' work with the FFR complete kit spindles because THEY ARE NOT THE SAME as '87-93 spindles.

Sorry

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The Wilwood 140-11018-DR fits Fox Mustang '87-93 spindles.

https://www.wilwood.com/brakekits/Br...o=140-11018-DR

You told us earlier:

As I said in my previous reply the FFR spindles are designed to use 1999 and later Mustang components (hubs, bearings, rotors, calipers). That Wilwood kit is not gonna' work with the FFR complete kit spindles because THEY ARE NOT THE SAME as '87-93 spindles.

Sorry

Jeff
    Jeff
    Once again you are correct. Seems I was given bad info. I had an hour long chat with Dan at FFR mostly about manual/power steering. We did however discuss front and rear brakes. My notes confirm the brake packages I could upgrade to would have to fit the earlier 5 lug 87 to 93 Mustangs. After reading your above posts and a bit of research shows the earlier spindles are tapered and have a different hub than the 94 to 04 spindles. This kinda bums me out as I thought I had done my due diligence in asking FFR and Wilwood about fitment. I did not know the spindles changed after 93. Nothing I could find published by FFR states that the base kit 84 to 94 donor car spindles are different than the complete kit 94 to 04 spindles. I guess its just one of those thing you figure out by getting the wrong parts first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news, The Fox Body 84-93 Wilwood brakes I ordered are now on their way back to Summit and the correct brakes P/N WIL-140-12048-DR will be shipped to me in the morning. That new P/N was given to me from Dan (who also told me the 84-93's would fit) at FFR for the Wilwood big brake upgrade for the MK4. In addition Summit lists only the Factory Five Cobra as the "application" for this kit and they sell them a bit cheaper than Wilwood. So...disaster averted, Thanks for the heads up Jeff!

On another note, the polished 17" American Racing Halibrands (427) arrived today. They look great. Vintage wheels sells the same wheels as FFR but I wanted the polished wheels not the grey painted ones FFR sells.

Counting down the hours, kit should arrive later this week.

Rebostar

6. Likes zarnold liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Sunday Folks,
    The kit arrived at 5:30pm on Friday. Mark had a long day with snow and rain, but he made it.Delivery.jpg Took us about an hour all in till he left. I spent all day s
    Saturday and half of Sunday to complete the invantory. The only thinks missing were as follows:

All of Box 13 containing both Chrome roll bars.
    Chrome Side Mirror
    Assembled Side Louvers
    2 ea. 1/4-20 Button Head Screws

All in all a pretty good job by FFR. Only the side mirror and 2 screws were marked as packed but missing. The Chrome Roll Bars and Louvers were back ordered. I had not planed to use the FFR mirror. Going with the Breeze units. But I paid for it and will use it on another build somewhere down the road.

Tomorrow I'll mark and remove all the chassis aluminum. I'll put the frame on the 2 post lift and get it level and secured the start the mods that will require welding.

I'll post again when I'm done with the mods and have the chassis prepped, primed and painted.

Rebostar

Onn Saturday F500guy (aka Lance) stopped by to help remove the body off the chassis and set it up on the body buck. Thanks and kudo's Lance!

8. Likes Railroad liked this post