Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Rebostar MK4 Build in Gaston Oregon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I decided (and the wife agrees) that there should be an "oh crap" handle below the glove box. I had ordered the CF Dash so I mocked it up to see if there was room for steel reinforcement. There is! So now we have a steel plate weled to the 2"x 2" crossmember to attach the grab bar to. Its just got 1/4" pilot holes now. I'll fab up a nice handle that will match the rest of the cockpit down the road. DSC02856.JPGDSC02857.JPGDSC02858.JPG

I did not want my braided brake lines attached to the chassis with a couple aluminum pop rivets, so I made a couple more clips for the rear brakes so I could weld them on.DSC02859.JPGDSC02860.JPG I lowered them from the FFR position as I plan to route a 3" duct hose to cool the footboxes through that space. There will be two duct inlets in the cubbie leading to a pair of 3" bilge blowers ducted down to a 1"x4" duct running alongside the seats to vent the footboxes. Pics will follow when I do the sheetmetal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was a good day. After reading some good advice from some of the above posts, I decided to go with a power steering sytem. I have a 351W stroker. I have the CVF Pulley system and the Saginaw pump would interfere with the steering shaft. So I wont be using the CVF power steering. I did not want to use the late model pump converted to vee belt. SOLUTION= Epowersteering.com. Lance showed me his Electronic Power Steering System and I am sold. I aquired the Epowersteering kit for the MK4. I spent today mocking up the steering rack and shaft so I could intigrate the new electric power assist unit. The instructions were pretty easy to follow. I did add an additional support running from the 4" tube to the supplied attach bracket system. I did not want a 15lb motor assembly bouncing up and down being supported by a thin walled 3/4 tube. Then I mounted the brain box within easy reach of the existing electrical pigtail. Then I broke it all down and put it all away leaving only the weled on support brackets.
    DSC02862.JPGDSC02863.JPGDSC02864.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Been busy getting my 47 Merc Coupe into the Portland Roadster Show. It is up on display so
    I have a free day to finish the welding. I see the late model solid axle calls for a cross over line to the right rear brakes. I decided not to route it back by the fuel tank. I crossed it over behind the 2x3 frame. This reqired 4 clips to be welded in.DSC02867.JPGDSC02868.JPG