Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Help Me Understand the XTF

Post Thanks / Like

Help Me Understand the XTF

Help me understand the philosophy of the XTF. I know very little about it, but it appears to be essentially a modern F150 with a different grill and some suspension bits. I don't mean that in a disparaging way...just trying to understand. The rest of the FFR fleet makes sense...some unique designs with modern running gear (818), and the rest are recreations of vintage cars with modern running gear. But the XTF is like a modern, current F150 with a modern, current F150 look. It's like it's replicating what is currently offered by Ford. What am I missing? Why not just start with an F150, and add suspension bits to it?
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

2. Thanks FFRWRX thanked for this post
    Likes FFRWRX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    Help me understand the philosophy of the XTF. I know very little about it, but it appears to be essentially a modern F150 with a different grill and some suspension bits. I don't mean that in a disparaging way...just trying to understand. The rest of the FFR fleet makes sense...some unique designs with modern running gear (818), and the rest are recreations of vintage cars with modern running gear. But the XTF is like a modern, current F150 with a modern, current F150 look. It's like it's replicating what is currently offered by Ford. What am I missing? Why not just start with an F150, and add suspension bits to it?
    "Suspension bits"? You obviously haven't been paying attention...IT'S AN ENTIRE TUBULAR CHASSIS WITH LONG TRAVEL SUSPENSION! It uses the F150 cab, engine, trans and differential(s). It also keeps the F150's VIN which means no issues with titling, registration or emissions.

I suggest that you educate yourself by reading through Johnny's and Erik's threads and watch Erik's extensive video series which documents the build.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...nner-build-log

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...n-Complete-***

https://www.youtube.com/@etreves

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    From the Google machine:

A Prerunner is race truck that retains some creature comforts (A/C, cruise control, power windows), this vehicle was designed to pre-run a race course so the team would know what to expect on race day. Lots of horsepower and tons of travel make these vehicles popular for good reason! Finding a used prerunner is easy, finding a high quality used prerunner takes a seasoned eye.
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really not interested in building one...just trying to understand the value prop. I'm not a truck guy, so most of this doesn't resonate with me. But, I get it...stronger chassis, better suspension...for those that run the Baja 1000 and need a truck to run the course ahead of time...FFR to the rescue? I guess off-roaders build insane stuff as much as track guys...like I said...most of it is lost on me.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

6. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    I'm really not interested in building one...just trying to understand the value prop. I'm not a truck guy, so most of this doesn't resonate with me. But, I get it...stronger chassis, better suspension...for those that run the Baja 1000 and need a truck to run the course ahead of time...FFR to the rescue? I guess off-roaders build insane stuff as much as track guys...like I said...most of it is lost on me.
    gb, We are not XTF kind of truck guys. My trucks are utility vehicles rounding out my fleet. So the XTF advertising and hype is not for traditional replica or sports car guys.
    FFR is speculating on a new customer. I have been curious on the success rate, kit sales and build rate. At this point those numbers reflect the effectiveness of sales and marketing. Evaluating the success of the product is long term.
    In my history of OEM recreational products, it was acknowledged that you and sell anything for a year. (early adopters) Product acceptance at five years is another thing. Performance and quality sustain sales in the long run.
    Competitors are a factor, a monopoly in the market is great but that can not last forever. OTOH if your competitor is rich and uber-competent, sales will be a struggle. In this case Ford is an uber competent competitor in off road.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Why does Ford build the Raptor? The Raptor is by no means a "service truck", yet Ford sells a lot of them.

Need a value proposition? How about Raptor performance(or better) at WAY less cost.

Yeah there is sweat equity, yes there are always some little details to work through, but if you are less than wealthy and want to go play in the dirt at an elevated level then the XTF is a budget way to do that. As with all of the FFR products, think "bang for the buck".
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

9. Likes narly1, Edgeman liked this post