Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New member in Fulshear, TX

Post Thanks / Like

New member in Fulshear, TX

Hi everyone!

Been a member and reader of the forum since 2016 and finally ordered my Mk4 kit a few weeks ago. I'm a mechanical engineer but work in the electrical transmission/distribution/energy storage space, so I need a practical, hands-on project to work on.

I'm currently trying to figure out whether to document the build in a build thread with pictures/text or more with videos. And of course, if anyone in the vicinity has a body buck that they're looking to get rid of, I'd be happy to put it to good use.

I'm in Fulshear, TX, just west of Houston.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from Cypress and good luck with the build. Unfortunately, I recently donated my body buck.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend doing a build thread with lots of pictures and description of what you did and issues you encountered. Make sure to circle back and document how you overcame the issues too. I recommend this vs. the videos because it's easier to find specific topics via Google search. Well documented build threads have been essential to helping me get over several challenges while building. Plus, I often refer back to my own thread when trying to remember what I did. Just my $.02
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm in Navasota and built my mk4 in 2015, if you need any help just holler there is lots of help out here. And if you do Facebook join the Houston Cobra Club ,you can find local help through it.
    Glad to have you on board.
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome. I met up with 2 builders in Cypress last weekend and I've joined the Houston Cobra Club on facebook. Looks to be a really great community!

That's for the input on the build thread vs. videos. I'll do a build thread exactly for the reasons dbo_texas suggested.

Completion date is March 23, so it's coming up fast! Just need to get the garage in order and build a hanging buck before delivery...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the build experience. Reading posts and gathering info since 2016 will pay off for sure. I would 2x the build thread and make your own notes along the way dbo_texas is right.
    You have heard/read this before but I'll mention it anyways; doing a really accurate inventory is important, I found pieces of an assembly in different boxes probably because that's how they are picked at FF, it was a lot of hunting in the early part of the build - I finally wrote what was in each box on the side for quick reference, worked for me anyways. Have fun with the build!
    2022 MKIV BP347, SniperEFI, IRS. Delivered June 22, Engine install Jan 23, first start May 23.

Post Thanks / Like
    No reason you can't do both (build thread & incorporate videos). Best of both worlds. I have a couple of videos in mine, mostly for myself, like walking through my brake line routing, e-brake mockup, Coyote clutch switch function, etc. Sometimes a video is helpful to explain something in more detail (OR ask for help from the community).
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I'll focus on a good build thread for documentation. Been spending the past few weeks just preparing the garage, getting everything set up as I'm expecting Stewart Transport to show up sometime end of next week. Can't wait!