BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gap for Window in Truck Doors

Post Thanks / Like

Gap for Window in Truck Doors

Somewhere in a forum I saw where someone stated what they trimmed their side window opening to, to allow for alignment of the power window. Right now I am struggling, as I believe many are, with getting the window to slide in the channel without binding or flexing the inside door skin (for a lack of a better word) Does anyone have a general starting width or a final width for smooth operation?

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent a lot of time getting the windows to operate acceptably with my truck build. Talked about in my build thread linked below if you're willing to look for it. I'd be reluctant to get you an actual dimension. I think there's some variation. Including in how wide and where the slot gets cut. You need to set the mechanism as shown in the build manual and see where the window goes through the provided opening. Then adjust as needed with the provided gasket materials in place. For me it was a number of times taking it apart and putting back together. As it sounds like you've found out, it doesn't work well if the window is dragging. You also don't want it flexing the door skins. No easy answers on this one I'm afraid.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson.

First, I agree with Paul's (edwardB) comments totally.

I haven't started this part on my truck build for "actual" experience input... but my following comment is based on other previous builds I've done. Try some dry lubricant, like graphite or even some spay silicone as that worked for me.

I'll be doing my windows in a couple days also and will document in my build thread (link in my signature below)

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates on this issue? I'm working on my doors now and at this point I am very close to .8 of an inch all the way around but still having a lot of drag in the lower corners where the felt strip meets the cat's head strip. I actually tried running the cat's head further up the lower corners and that eliminates the drag there, any reason that wouldn't work?

Gary
    FFR Gen 2 35 truck, Barrett Jackson edition # 4, chassis # 81, 525HP LS3 & 4L75E, 8.8" 3 link.