Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Paint Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do them differently:
    High build polyester blocked to 150---reason being that the poly is rock hard and because of this resists a tight chemical bond. I like to supplement the chemical bond with the coarser mechanical "tooth".
    After the sanded polyester they all get a full gallon/3 coats of 2K catalyzed urethane primer surfacer which is blocked 320 dry and then 600 wet.
    ---No epoxy. Epoxy is for bare metal.
    After the primer surfacer 1 coat of 2K urethane sealer in the proper shade for your color (Guardsman will want something like a G3 medium gray).
    Nib sand the sealer as necessary to take out any dust or debris then go to your base Be mindful of your recoat times; the PPG products I use need to have the sealer covered with base within 72 hours (I prefer to get it covered in 24 or less).

You can tape the base 45 minutes to an hour after it's applied. Similarly, tape can be pulled after an hour. Use good tape; 3M Fineline or Pro-band vinyl for the edges and Scotch 233+ for the field. Don't cheap out with hardware store blue painter's tape...the solvents melt the adhesive and leave a mess on your base! Again, be mindful of your time windows. Most manufacturers want the base covered with clear within 24 hours.

Your quantities are good unless you plan to also paint under the clamshell or inside the cockpit. You really need 3 full coats of base (Wimbledon and Guardsman) for good coverage. Quality products like PPG Deltron will provide better coverage. Three coats of a high solids clear (i.e. PPG Deltron 2021 or comparable) will be plenty unless you end up with a heavy orange peel. Check the manufacturer's specs; some want no more than 3 coats to prevent delamination.

Good luck!

Jeff

2. Likes JimStone, bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou Jeff!! Amazing information.