Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Paint Question

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Question

Hi Everyone!!! Well i am finally getting to the paint part. Have been doing the body work now for what seems like ages. But really happy with how it has been turning out.

So after a few coats of polyester build primer and block sanding from 220 to 600. I am about to seal it with Epoxy Primer one coat.

I am painting the white strips first with Wimbledon White. I'm figuring 2 coats on the strips, tail and all the meatballs should be enough.

How long do i have to wait to apply the tape to designate all stripes, Meatballs? Don't want to do it too soon with concern of pulling the tape and white paint comes off.

After the taping i will apply the Guardsman Blue. How many coats does it usually take to cover the access white? I am thinking 2-3.

After that, how long should i wait before removing all of the tape to begin spraying the clear. I'm thinking 4 coats of clear to be able to cut and polish.

So i am thinking 2 quarts of Wimbledon White, 1 gallon of Guardsman Blue, and 1 gallon of clear should be enough.

Really appreciate everyone's help
    Thankyou
    Nelson

Post Thanks / Like
    I do them differently:
    High build polyester blocked to 150---reason being that the poly is rock hard and because of this resists a tight chemical bond. I like to supplement the chemical bond with the coarser mechanical "tooth".
    After the sanded polyester they all get a full gallon/3 coats of 2K catalyzed urethane primer surfacer which is blocked 320 dry and then 600 wet.
    ---No epoxy. Epoxy is for bare metal.
    After the primer surfacer 1 coat of 2K urethane sealer in the proper shade for your color (Guardsman will want something like a G3 medium gray).
    Nib sand the sealer as necessary to take out any dust or debris then go to your base Be mindful of your recoat times; the PPG products I use need to have the sealer covered with base within 72 hours (I prefer to get it covered in 24 or less).

You can tape the base 45 minutes to an hour after it's applied. Similarly, tape can be pulled after an hour. Use good tape; 3M Fineline or Pro-band vinyl for the edges and Scotch 233+ for the field. Don't cheap out with hardware store blue painter's tape...the solvents melt the adhesive and leave a mess on your base! Again, be mindful of your time windows. Most manufacturers want the base covered with clear within 24 hours.

Your quantities are good unless you plan to also paint under the clamshell or inside the cockpit. You really need 3 full coats of base (Wimbledon and Guardsman) for good coverage. Quality products like PPG Deltron will provide better coverage. Three coats of a high solids clear (i.e. PPG Deltron 2021 or comparable) will be plenty unless you end up with a heavy orange peel. Check the manufacturer's specs; some want no more than 3 coats to prevent delamination.

Good luck!

Jeff

3. Likes JimStone, bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou Jeff!! Amazing information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jeff, I've been following allot of your tips regarding the body work and as I'm preparing my car to paint my car myself, I'll be using the Evercoat featherfill G2; do i still require the Evercoat Uro-fill primer surfacer prior to the 2K sealer?

Thanks Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Forgot to show some pictures before i put on a few coats of polyester build primer and start Block Sanding.

Body work 3.jpgbody work 2.jpgBody work completed.jpgbody work.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharris2 View Post
    Hi Jeff, I've been following allot of your tips regarding the body work and as I'm preparing my car to paint my car myself, I'll be using the Evercoat featherfill G2; do i still require the Evercoat Uro-fill primer surfacer prior to the 2K sealer?

Thanks Scott
    It doesn't have to be Evercoat (I use PPG for everything after the polyester) but yes, I recommend going to a catalyzed urethane primer surfacer after the poly.

Jeff

8. Likes Stangarang liked this post