FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Let's discuss tires

Post Thanks / Like

Let's discuss tires

What are y'all finding to be good handling corner carving tires for street cruising?
    A few i'm looking at are the
    Nitto INVO
    Nitto 555G2
    Michelin PILOT SPORT 4S
    PIRELLI P ZERO
    FALKEN AZENIS FK510
    Toyo Proxes R888
    Last edited by Just 1 More; 02-19-2024 at 01:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Toyo R888R's and love them. They are aggressive looking and sticky. So far I have just about 3,000 miles on them and they are great and have little wear. What size wheel are you going with? That may make a difference in your availability.

Ted
    Last edited by Ted G; 02-19-2024 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Toyo R888 for me, too. I've had them on my Corvettes, and they are a great tire. I've also had Nitto INVOs on Corvettes, and they are a smooth, quiet ride, and very sticky. Probably priced better than the R888, to boot.
    Last edited by gbranham; 02-19-2024 at 01:55 PM.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to edit my list to include the 888

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are all good street tires, but none of them are R compound. It all depends on whether or not you're willing to sacrifice longevity, noise, comfort, etc. for grip.

Full disclosure, I just installed R888R's.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m currently on the 888s. Very comparable to the Nitto NT-01 of which I’ve been through 2 sets. Contrary to what Bruce said they are 100 treadwear R compounds that are DOT compliant. Stick like a cat on carpet when it’s warm and dry but not good for wet or temps below 60 degrees. I got about 5,000 miles out of the NT-01s and it appears that the Toyo 888 will run the same. If you anticipated driving includes cool and potentially wet you’ll be better served with the 555G2.

Jeff

7. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Its Bruce says, kinda depends on what you are looking for. To me, grip is the most important thing on these cars. The R888R's probably don't have the best longevity, but without "Grip" you lose a lot. Noise is not an issue and who cares about comfort on these cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    As I stated....
    corner carving tires for street cruising

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Contrary to what Bruce said they are 100 treadwear R compounds that are DOT compliant.
    Sir Jeff, the R888's were not on the list when I hit enter on my post. I'd also like to point out that there is a difference between R888's and R888R's.

Next we need to talk about sizing and making sure you're getting enough heat into them...
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    Sir Jeff, the R888's were not on the list when I hit enter on my post. I'd also like to point out that there is a difference between R888's and R888R's.

Next we need to talk about sizing and making sure you're getting enough heat into them...
    Agreed on sizing and heat. The biggest problem with our light cars and big tires is getting heat into them. The Toyos heat up a bit quicker than the Nittos. I ran a couple of sets of Kumho XS and you couldn't get heat into them unless the ambient was 85+ and sunny enough to warm the asphalt. The R888R is just a later version of the old R888; both 100 TW and R compound.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to go with 315 tires on the rear for the best look, you are limited.

One of the hottest in those sizes is the Yokohama Advan A052. It is rated for fast warmup and high performance and is a 200 AA tire. Does fall off a bit with heavy laps.

Another great 200 tire is the Nankang CRS, just as good in performance, but warms up slower. But it doesn't fall off as much when lapping.

These are the latest performance tires (there are others) and although they are 200's, they actually outperform the older 100s, such as two favorites, the R888s and NT01s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a very comprehensive chart from extensive testing by Grassroots Motorsports:

GW Tire Guide Table.jpg

14. Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems y'all missed the
    corner carving tires for street cruising
    and went straight to race tires

16. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My road set - Michelin PILOT SPORT 4S - are great for general purpose. 300TW, so they last FOREVER.. well, all things are relative, mine have lasted 10k miles so far so maybe 15k before they're done. That seems like forever given that my "race" 200's (the Falken RT660) are going to last about, I dunno 1,000 hard miles?

The PS4S are great in wet, but Falkens you don't want to drive in the damp

Plus the PS4S come in 355 which is what I have. Yummy.

Edit: I should add that I'm being too harsh.. for normal street use these PS4S would last maybe double this. I have 3.5º camber and go round corners as fast as I can, so no wonder the front have worn. The rears still have 5mm on them.
    Last edited by RoadRacer; 02-19-2024 at 06:42 PM.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

18. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17" or 18"?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like my Falken 660, they are 200TW and I ran them on my miata. good in rain and on the street, but don't mind the track...Usually a bit cheaper with the deals.
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    17" or 18"?
    18 & 20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    As I stated....corner carving tires for street cruising
    Then you might want to strike the 300+ treadwear PS4, FK510 and 555G2 from your list...or consider what your definition of "corner carving" involves.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Then you might want to strike the 300+ treadwear PS4, FK510 and 555G2 from your list...or consider what your definition of "corner carving" involves.

Jeff
    Going around corners quickly on the highway.. with the occasional Auto-X

Post Thanks / Like
    I'v used the Nitto NT-01's. Great canyon carver, and quiet on the road. Since I occasionally drive in rain, sleet, hail, and (rarely) light snow, they could be a bit tricky. They also tended to flat spot within a couple of weeks. They rounded out again once warm, but the first few miles were a bit bumpy. They wear pretty fast, too. Only lasts about 1 year.

Now I use the G555 G2. I don't notice any decrease in performance; mostly because I'm not driving at the ragged edge. All of the negatives of the NT-01 are gone, too. I get 2 years on the rear tires, and 3-4 years on the fronts.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    I'v used the Nitto NT-01's. Great canyon carver, and quiet on the road. Since I occasionally drive in rain, sleet, hail, and (rarely) light snow, they could be a bit tricky. They also tended to flat spot within a couple of weeks. They rounded out again once warm, but the first few miles were a bit bumpy. They wear pretty fast, too. Only lasts about 1 year.

Now I use the G555 G2. I don't notice any decrease in performance; mostly because I'm not driving at the ragged edge. All of the negatives of the NT-01 are gone, too. I get 2 years on the rear tires, and 3-4 years on the fronts.
    Thanks, Great review. The 555 G2 is on the top of my list

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the NITTO 555 G2. Work very well for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried all that you have listed. Most will tell you Nitto's. In my opinion, they were the worst- terrible traction, especially off a red light. Michelin - too expensive, pirelli - too hard. Believe it or not, the best everyday tire I have for the rear are Generals. I also have a (too wide) set of toyo proxies that I love - especially for hard cornering.
    Last edited by kevin j sullivan; 02-22-2024 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Continental Extreme Contact Sport is a nice street tire with very good grip. My son runs them on his modified Honda Civic Type R during the summer and I bought them for my '33 Hot Rod. Below 40 degrees they can get loose.

Image - 2023-07-20T094950.967.jpegImage - 2023-07-20T094954.799.jpegImage - 2023-07-20T094958.112.jpegImage - 2023-07-20T095001.539.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread prompted me to look - there's a 30,000mile tread warranty on the PS4S from tirerack, so I'm going through that process to see exactly where they tell me "your car isn't covered". So far though, they're telling me I'll get some $$$ towards a new set.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

30. Likes Just 1 More, cc2Arider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got about 5000 miles on a set of Nitto 555G2 tires. I am happy with them. I like to cruise in my car, with a little spirited driving through sweeping curves - nothing on the edge of disaster, just having a little (OK - a LOT) of fun.

I'm not a guy that is going to do burnouts, or even purposely break contact when moving off of full stop. I worked too hard on my toy to tear it up, or have it taken away from me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For street cruising with grip, I like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. But for the occasional autox I would consider Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, Toyo R888R, or Nitto NT01.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires. Been a pretty good all around street tire, including getting caught in the rain.