Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tom W’s Build Thread - 211180

Post Thanks / Like

Tom W’s Build Thread - 211180

Hello. Starting a thread since my MK4 kit is soon to be delivered. I will try to stay up to date, but writing threads is not my forte. I have read a lot of threads and have spent the last 9 months watching YouTube videos in the mornings while I workout in our home gym. This will be my first build. I am quite familiar with all the systems in the vehicle since I work in the auto industry and I have done a frame off restoration of a 1956 Thunderbird. Going back in time, my cousin and I used to drag race in the 80s. I placed my order soon after the $1000 sale started in mid-February and they threw in free powder coating of the frame for being one of the first 10 orders with the sale.

So here is what is known for my plans so far:
    - Base kit (ordered 2-14-24, build scheduled for 3-30-24) - 6 weeks!
    - 4.6L 4V (97 Cobra SVT)
    - mid-shifted TKO w/ hydraulic clutch
    - IRS w/ 3.31 ratio (2015 Mustang GT)
    - Mustang Cobra brakes
    - rear battery box with Optima 12V lithium ion battery
    - tunnel top mounted e-brake
    - heater/defroster
    - glovebox
    - leather seats
    - twin chrome roll bars
    - Gas-N sidepipes
    - powder coated frame
    - tires/wheels TBD
    - gauges TBD
    - Ron Frances body and chassis harnesses
    - Mustang Cobra engine harness and computer

I have read the pros and cons of a base kit versus a complete kit. I chose the base kit because, for me, restoring parts is part of the journey. I have been rebuilding engines since the 70s and I would like to think I have a handle on which components are durable and which aren’t worth restoring. Being in SE Michigan, the auto capital, we have a lot of Mustangs and a lot of salvage yards in the area. It is not too hard to find multiple Mustangs for which to choose from when heading out on a Sunday morning to harvest parts. I started with the engine, T45 trans and limited slip rear end from a 97 Mustang Cobra SVT in June of 2023. Over time, I replace the T45 with a TKO and the rear axle with an IRS. I have spent the winter rebuilding the engine keeping it at factory specs. Who knows, maybe some HP upgrades in the future. All of my other harvested parts are from various SN95 vehicles.

As I am waiting for delivery, I spent the last couple of weekends building a chassis dolly and body buck. Both are on casters. The chassis dolly plans came from a forum member and the body buck is custom but inspired by different bucks people on the forum have built. I built a 7’ x 8’ platform on the bottom of the body buck to hold boxes and aluminum panels. I built it wide enough such that I could roll it over the chassis if I need space in my garage. The platform is attached to the buck with lag bolts that are easy to remove.

I am looking forward to this journey and continuing to learn from others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Twatson799,
    Welcome to the forum. Looks like a fun build. Best of luck.
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023