Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Will I fit the Type 65 coupe?

Post Thanks / Like

Will I fit the Type 65 coupe?

One of my greatest fears about ordering the Type 65 was being able to get in and out. I'm 77 years old, 6'2"tall and 215 pounds. Because of an old back injury, my flexibility is poor. I miss touching my toes by a little over nine inches. I'm what you would call long-waisted and short-legged (32" inseam).

Our coupe arrived last Saturday. It didn't take long to face my fears, drop in a seat and try to get in. I MADE IT! It wasn't easy. The process was to lead with one leg, scoot your bottom end across the sill, drop into the seat and use a hand to pull in the other leg. Bending my back and tucking my head was the toughest part.

That may sound like a lot of unnecessarily detailed information, but it might help some of you with the same fears. Knowing that Dan Gurney was 6'3" helped a little. Not much. Body type, weight, agility, age and strength all make a difference. As I said, I made it, but just barely. I joined my wife this morning with her yoga. I'm also going to start working on upper body strength so I can use the roll cage bars to get in and out.

Keep exercising!
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A quick disconnect steering wheel will be a cherished thing for you.

3. Thanks JimStone thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on receiving your kit and fitting into it!

My completion date is 4/28, and I'm similar dimensions as you. You do have me by 39 years though! But don't let that stop you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a decision to include AC on my MK3.1 build as I had planned a soft top.

Once I got the car built and on the road, it became clear that a soft top was out of the question. Right knee replacement with a 90 degree bend limitation requires that I stand with both feet on the upper floor board with my rear end on the top of the seat and slide down into the car. Getting out is the same - reversed of course.

If I had a soft top on that car, and actually got into it with the top on, I'd probably have to call the fire department to help get me out of it.

So - the AC system is pretty much an expensive serpentine belt tensioner, along with being a heater.