Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leaking lower ball joint

Post Thanks / Like

Leaking lower ball joint

I have a slow drip from my driver's side front lower ball joint. It doesn't appear to be leaking from the grease zerk, but rather from the perimeter of the steel plate the zerk screws into. I get 4 or 5 drops per week. Car is still being built, and suspension was assembled last summer. Anyone experienced this on new gear?
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

FFR MKIII builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not exactly sure what’s what with the ball joint housing but it’s not overly uncommon to have a little lubricating oil separate out of the carrier compound of some greases. If you haven’t done so maybe try purging the joint with some high quality chassis grease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Dave. I can do that!
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't revisited this problem...been focused on my dash layout. However, I noticed the passenger side is now doing the same. The grease I'm using is red, yet the leaking fluid is brown, like a slightly dirty motor oil. Wonder if it is in fact some of the lubricating oil. Not sure how I'd purge out the grease...maybe remove the zerk and squeeze the rubber boot to force it out? Then start over with a higher-quality grease. Any suggestions on the best grease for the job?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Red Line 80402 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1) on all bushings & ball joints. It does tend to separate & leak all over the grease gun.

To purge the old grease, I'd just connect the gun to the zerk fitting & pump until I saw fresh red grease flow out, wiping away the old grease as I go. It takes a roll of paper towels, but I get this job done every year without issue.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    I use Red Line 80402 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1) on all bushings & ball joints. It does tend to separate & leak all over the grease gun.

To purge the old grease, I'd just connect the gun to the zerk fitting & pump until I saw fresh red grease flow out, wiping away the old grease as I go. It takes a roll of paper towels, but I get this job done every year without issue.

John
    Probably a dumb question, but where is the old grease flowing out? From the top of the rubber boot, around the ball joint shaft?

Post Thanks / Like
    I swapped over to the green synthetic grease and never had a leaking issue. The new grease pushes out the old grease from inside the boot, around the ball joint.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes; from the top.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313