Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Foot Box Insulation... Again

Post Thanks / Like

Foot Box Insulation... Again

I am thoroughly confused on the footbox insulation suggestions here and would like to look at it from a product standpoint. I see the following being used.

1. Thermo-tec cool it. This is basically a butyl layer with foil.

2. Breeze Pre cut - This does not appear to have a foil layer but i would guess is using a closed cell foam layer. Can someone confirm?

3. Reflective Foam Insulation - This appears to be foil faced closed cell foam.

The options above all vary in approach.
    Do we need the foil facing?
    I would assume closed cell foam is much better than butyl for insulation.

Is there a peel and stick product that has both foam and foil? I can find a foam and butyl combined type but not foil.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sprayed Lizard Skin and have been very happy with the result. While a thermal barrier is important, preventing any air infiltration is equally important and I think a spray product works well at meeting both of these requirements. I would use Lizard Skin again without hesitation.

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

3. Likes gburchett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lidodrip View Post
    I sprayed Lizard Skin and have been very happy with the result. While a thermal barrier is important, preventing any air infiltration is equally important and I think a spray product works well at meeting both of these requirements. I would use Lizard Skin again without hesitation.

James
    Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that spraying is not in my wheel house and not something I want to attempt. I have heard great things about lizard skin and if I had thought further ahead may have used it myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used kilmat. relatively cheap. peel and stick. foil on one side and butyl adhesive on the other. if you haven't gotten too far yet, making cardboard templates of the panels before you install them makes it easier to cut your sound dampener to size before you install it. I just used the cardboard from all the boxes that the parts came in.

2 boxes will cover the cockpit and trunk
    Last edited by egchewy79; 03-07-2024 at 12:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent some time researching this we well for my build. Here is a quick summary. Various materials can be used for insulation, for both thermal and acoustic. Closed cell foam and butyl rubber each insulate both, and thicker variants insulate more. For acoustics, closed cell is better at sound blocking while butyl is better at sound deadening (removes hollow sound from panels). For thermal insulation, closed cell is better but butyl still has thermal insulating properties. Butyl takes the edge in filling in small gaps in panels that could let heat pass through. The foil layer is predominantly there for radiant heat transfer, but you lose all those benefits once you put carpet on top. Those benefits only apply if the shiny surface faces the environment. The foil also helps with vibration damping on the acoustic insulation though, so it is not totally useless under carpet.
    Like egchewy noted, I also used a butyl rubber foil faced mat for my build. I used a thicker mat for the footboxes and transmission tunnel, and a thinner mat everywhere else to remove the hollowness and make the overall car feel more solid.
    Mk 4 complete kit w/IRS delivered (mostly) 10-31-22. BPE 347FI w/TXK.

7. Likes bill1982, gburchett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the inside of my coupe footbox I used a layer of Dynamat, which is a peel and stick aluminum backed noise reducing butyl, covered by a layer of Dynaliner, which is a peel and stick heat reducing synthetic foam. The floor and the rest of the interior aluminum will be Lizard Skin.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

9. Likes gburchett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    I spent some time researching this we well for my build. Here is a quick summary. Various materials can be used for insulation, for both thermal and acoustic. Closed cell foam and butyl rubber each insulate both, and thicker variants insulate more. For acoustics, closed cell is better at sound blocking while butyl is better at sound deadening (removes hollow sound from panels). For thermal insulation, closed cell is better but butyl still has thermal insulating properties. Butyl takes the edge in filling in small gaps in panels that could let heat pass through. The foil layer is predominantly there for radiant heat transfer, but you lose all those benefits once you put carpet on top. Those benefits only apply if the shiny surface faces the environment. The foil also helps with vibration damping on the acoustic insulation though, so it is not totally useless under carpet.
    Like egchewy noted, I also used a butyl rubber foil faced mat for my build. I used a thicker mat for the footboxes and transmission tunnel, and a thinner mat everywhere else to remove the hollowness and make the overall car feel more solid.
    This is exactly right! In my experience, the issue with heat in the footbox comes more from gaps in the panels and where the panels contact the body more than from radiant heat. The best advice I can offer is to eliminate any source of air flow from the engine bay into the passenger areas of the car and you'll be good to go.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

11. Likes gburchett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    Good summary. Although I would modify the explanation related to foil ... it makes no difference whether there is carpet covering it or not: If you install it inside the footbox, the foil's on the wrong side of the panels to reflect radiant heat coming from the headers and engine bay in general. (I'm not suggesting it should be placed on the outside though.)

I used Thermo-tec product. I'm satisfied with it, and since I'll never have a comparison with alternative products on my car, I'm sure I'll stay that way. All I can say is that the before / after sound reduction was significant.
    Last edited by John Ibele; 03-07-2024 at 01:47 PM.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

13. Likes gburchett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With side pipes paid no real attention to sound reduction, went all in on thermal protection. Its hot enough in NC during the summer.

Thermo Tec heat barrier on all surfaces that face heat like outside of footboxes, firewall etc, including inside of transmission tunnel & side pipe heat shields.

ReflectX attic alloy sandwich insulation on all interior cockpit surfaces under the carpet.

Last filled cavities & openings that passed heat from engine compartment to interior with expanding foam insulation.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-07-2024 at 01:53 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

15. Likes gburchett, John Ibele liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it sounds like just about any well installed liner will work as long as you stop air flow from the engine bay.

Anybody ever use something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Siless-LinerP...s%2C179&sr=8-3

Post Thanks / Like
    I used two products from the same company - Second Skin Audio.

First - I applied Damplifier Pro which is sticky tar / butyl backed with heavy aluminum ... dampens the sound. Certainly provides some thermal protection as well. I did not want my car to sound like a bucket of bolts from general vibes or rocks / debris coming up from the pavement hitting the panels on the bottom side.

Second - I applied Luxury Liner Pro for heat insulation. Focus with both was foot boxes, firewall, trans tunnel, cockpit floor. Had enough to cover the large rear panel. Also did the entire trunk with the Damplifier. I even put the stuff on the back sides of the elephant ears to dampen the rock/debris hits there, along with the underneath side of the wheel wells.

Excellent products on their own, work great in combination.

They also had the Lizard Skin product ... but I'm not a sprayer either ... so went with these other materials.

18. Likes gburchett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO most heat comes from poorly sealed space between the body and footbox. The adhesive films are more for the reduction of sound from the aluminum panels and rocks hitting the panels.
    If your headers are really close to the front of the footbox, I've seen some put reflective material or even a heat shield on the forward wall of the footbox on the engine side.
    Most of my cockpit heat issues were gone when I got it back from the painter, who installed the final foam insulation around the outside of the footbox.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is a great source of goodies from the folks over at D.E.I.

https://www.designengineering.com/pr.../heat-control/

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the generic version of the foil and butyl from Summit Racing and am very happy with it. Its easy to work with and when its all said and done its covered by carpet and you'll never see it again. I taped over the seams to cover any gaps with aluminum tape, the kind HVAC workers use, making the boxes almost airtight.

I also DIY'd some exterior heat shields between the headers and the footboxes since they are so close to the footbox walls.
    IMG_0622.jpgIMG_0623.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Don:

Feel free to come check out the Thermo-Tec I installed. They make two options: One for acoustic damping, and one that does both acoustic damping and heat reduction. I used the latter.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom,

I saw this done by a local builder (added extra panels as heat shields) and I plan to do the same ... in addition to the sticky mats and properly addressing the gap between the body and frame sides

Craig C

24. Likes Tom Welch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    Hi Tom,

I saw this done by a local builder (added extra panels as heat shields) and I plan to do the same ... in addition to the sticky mats and properly addressing the gap between the body and frame sides

Craig C
    It's worked very well for me. Even in 90+ degree weather days, my feet are just fine. pretty easy to do as well.

26. Thanks cc2Arider thanked for this post