BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: leaking power steering fitting

Post Thanks / Like

leaking power steering fitting

I changed out a bad power steering pump but the seal on the high pressure fitting would not seal up on the new pump. So, I got a new fitting but it is not great. I have the car on jack stands and with the engine on there is no leak, but when I turn the wheel to the extreme stops, a fine stream of power steering fluid shoots out from the fitting. I am using this 5/8-18 to 6AN fitting with a teflon seal (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DSR-090210LDS). If I tighten more I am concerned I will deform the teflon seal. Any advice on how tight this should be? If I lessen it then it leaks while under power.
    Stock ford power steering pump with the plastic reservoir and 5/8-18 port (not the metric port version used later). Any other advice on perhaps a different fitting or seal?
    JJK
    Mk 4 complete kit w/IRS delivered (mostly) 10-31-22. BPE 347FI w/TXK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Breeze has this. Not sure if it is the one as I think it is for the rack… but Mark likely has a solution.

https://breezeautomotive.com/shop/ad...steering-rack/

Good luck!
    Mk III 4880: 3:55 - 3 link, T-5, 347, Holley Sniper/dual sync distributor, Comp Cams XE274HR, Edelbrock RPM Heads

Post Thanks / Like
    Tighten until it stops leaking. Worst comes to worst and you deform the seal go to a parts store and get a soft aluminum or copper seal. PS fluid is not as flammable as gas but a fine spray onto the headers will ignite. You could also use a sealer on the threads. One of the old Permatex non hardening sealers could help. If you are brave, install it w/ JBWeld and let it set for 24 hours. Fast Freddie used to do that on the Toyota electric PS pumps he sold in his PS kits.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I learned a few things today. I called BPE and they told me the make and model for the pump. So I then called Cardone to verify which fitting to use for the high pressure connection on the pump. They told me to use a 16mm x 1.5 fitting with both an internal o-ring on the smaller nipple and an external crush washer for the pump connection. This seems a bit odd as I do not recall seeing anything inside the pump for the smaller o-ring to seat up to. I will pull the fitting tonight and look inside the pump for verification. Regardless though, they say to use metric straight threads instead of the SAE inverted flare. Even though 5/8-16 and 16mm x 1.5 are very similar, the metric version is straight thread vs tapered and a smidge wider. Perhaps this is the issue?

As an aside, it appears Breeze sells this without the internal o-ring, which I suspect is not needed. (https://breezeautomotive.com/shop/m1...steering-pump/)

Post Thanks / Like
    To close this out, I had definitely deformed the external teflon seal on the 5/8-18 fitting.

deformed_seal.jpg

I had already ordered this 16mm fitting (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0989DNPMX...t_details&th=1) and figured I would try it out, and it worked. As of now, there are no leaks. If I were to do it again I think I would order the Breeze fitting as it looks to be a bit more robust with the seal attached to a washer.

While I had the fitting off, I took a look inside the pump and it appears the pump could also use a fitting with an internal o ring on a small nipple to mate up to a small hole inside the pump. I assume it is an either or approach as I could not find a fitting that had both an internal o ring and an external seal.g and an external seal.

pump.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The internal O ring is only a factor when using the OEM steel lines. As you found out the hard way, when using the AN adapter fittings you only want to make them snug otherwise you run the risk of cutting or deforming the teflon or rubber O ring. Also before installing the fittings its a good idea to clean up and remove any sharp edges where the threads begin in the rack.

Jeff