Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: CT Inspection/Registration

Post Thanks / Like

CT Inspection/Registration

For those who are close to finishing their builds in CT I have some interesting news. I just got off the phone with the DMV inspectors in Wethersfield. It took me 2 weeks to get through to them. I had intended on loading my car up on a Uhaul trailer and bringing it to Wethersfield one week from today, but I had a few questions I needed answered before then. The inspector told me that the law changed in January 2024 and replicas from recognized manufacturers no longer need to be inspected prior to bringing your paperwork to DMV for registration. That guy made my day, but I still can't believe it. He said I maybe the first one attempting to register a replica under the new law (I'm sure that is going to be fun). I will post how registration goes. Wish me luck, I may need it....

Post Thanks / Like
    That is great news for future builder in CT. Please keep us posted on the process of registration and titled as year and make, make sure you get it year as a 1965.
    This is going to be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    That is great news for future builder in CT. Please keep us posted on the process of registration and titled as year and make, make sure you get it year as a 1965.
    This is going to be interesting.
    I will keep you posted. The inspector already told me that it will not be eligible for antique plates even though it will be registered as a 1965. That does not mean that I won't try!

Post Thanks / Like
    So I went on CT DMV's website to download the forms I will need for registration and I am pretty sure the inspector gave me bad advice today. Everything I found, including a copy of the law that went into effect on 1/1/24, points to Factory Five's still need to be inspected by DMV prior to registration. I believe the inspector was lumping Factory Five's into the replica category and not the composite category. The replica category I believe would include Superformance. By DMV's definition Factory Five is clearly in the composite category, which requires inspection. When he told me the law changed he even said, 'what did you build, a Factory Five?'. I emailed the inspectors office asking for clarification on the information I was provided today, but who knows if and when they will get back to me. I'll post when I find out. Honestly, I am not surprised. It sounded too good to be true when he told me FFR's no longer required inspections.

FFR MKIII builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had better luck calling the commissioners office. The folks I talked to there seemed to be more up to speed, of course that was 17 years ago. I suspect your take on the new law is probably correct it’s more than likely meant for cars like superformance where you’re buying a mostly completed car.