FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front brake line hose/mount clearance question

Post Thanks / Like

Front brake line hose/mount clearance question

Periodically I go back over my work and I have been concerned about the clearance of my front brake hose/line/mount where it travels thru the F panel. The first pic is from the manual.

fb5.jpg

I'm concerned that the "gap" between the upper control arm and my brake line mount is too small/close together. My F panel fits flush against the frame (no overhang, etc...).

FB1.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpgfb4.jpg

Before I get too far along, should I trim the inside edge of the F panel near the mount and move the mount further away from the control arm? (move the mount further down the frame?). Nothing is rubbing, touching, etc... - but there isn't much of a gap....

Thanks for your help!
    MK4. 2015 IRS. 11.65" brakes. Blueprint 306. Holley Sniper 1. Holley in-tank fuel pump. 17 in. SVE FR500 wheels. Nitto tires. Hydraulic clutch.

Post Thanks / Like
    None of those are moving parts so if it isn't touching now it isn't going to.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff's answer is the right answer.

That said, I also wasn't crazy about how close they were, so just for peace of mind I made a notch in the F-panel and moved the mounting tab over slightly.

Edit: After mounting wheels, I wasn't crazy about the hose routing in the first photo so I added a 90 degree fitting which, IMO, routes the braided hose much more nicely.

Last edited by JohnK; 03-14-2024 at 01:02 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff is correct you won't have a problem there but...If you have a little extra steel line move the bracket to the top of the 3/4x3/4 so the flex line comes off the frame running downward vs horizontal. Reason I like this is look at how close to the inside of the tire the brake flex line is when you turn the steering full lock.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Craig and also prefer to have the flex line going down/vertical from the chassis hard line so that it makes a "U" rather than an "S" however you don't need to rework your bracket or hardline to accomplish this. You can simply use a 90 degree swivel male to female AN fitting as is shown in JohnK's photo.

Jeff