FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Replacing Fan on Mrk II ??

Post Thanks / Like

Replacing Fan on Mrk II ??

I'm probably not gonna like the answer here. I've been wrestling with my Mrk II for a couple of weeks, first I swapped out a power rack and pinion and now I'm upgrading upper control arms. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, has gone my way. At one point I detached the electric fan from the radiator shroud (to make room to work on the rack). I did not remove it....just detached it from it's mounting holes because I could not figure how to actually get it out. I WAS able to slide it close to the radiator and so be out of the way.
    I tested it after mounting it back into place...it worked fine but now is not working. Again. nothing has gone right. So now my question is.....can these fans actually be removed and replaced without ripping the car apart? I cant see how..... but it's late and I'm frustrated so its time to put the tools down for the night...
    Thanks for any help.
    . Or, maybe more useful, can anyone recommennd a "slim profile" electric fan that might be able to be installed without major disassembly?
    Last edited by ProfessorB; 03-16-2024 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What Fan, shroud and rad do you have? My Mkll has all Fox Mustang parts and the fan can be removed from the top. I have not done it but maybe the shroud has to come off as well. I did have the rad out and it came out from under the car.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    These cars are not "cookie cutter" so whether or not it can be removed easily depends on how the original builder put it together and what components were used. Often the early cars like your Mk1 used a recycled Fox or SN95 Mustang plastic shroud. Other times an aluminum one like what Breeze offers were used or one was fabricated by the builder. I'm afraid it's one of those things that you'll just have too dig in to. However, before you go too deep with removing the fan do I suggest that you do some testing to see if you actually have an issue with the fan itself or whether the problem lies in the circuit feeding it. You may find that the fan doesn't need to be removed at all.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    As Jeff says, check the circuit first. You may just have a blown fuse, or other, that effects the fan. No telling what the builder did. As for the fan/shroud, if it's the stock plastic/fantastic shroud, I can take mine off from the bottom, fan included. I also run a 2600CFM fan that's a bit bigger than a stock one and is very close to the rack. However, as mentioned above, a lot goes in to how the builder put it together. Always check the easy things first and don't blame the "user" end product. T-shooting is the best method.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Shroud2.jpgShroud2.jpgShroud2.jpg
    Okay, so I have power to the fan but fan not working....it's time to remove the fan if I can only figure out how. I did NOT build this car, the advantage being I could never have built this much "bang for the buck" and the DISadvantage being I don't understand how the car is put together. On top of that, I am a "shadetree" mechanic at best....I feel I CAN do it but it DOES take me longer to do it (sometimes MUCH longer). I am reasonably capable of understanding an explanation given by someone with more skill and knowledge.
    So right now, I'm looking at an aluminum panel running across the top of my radiator. I am wondering if this panel is removable or even....(if I am very lucky) if that panel just slides into position and so perhaps that panel might easily slide out (meaning it has open slots instead of bolt holes). At this point I don't even know how much of that top radiator support stuff comes out....or HOW it comes out. Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE:
    20 minutes after my last post and the fan is out. I WILL leave my last question as I DO wish to know more about how much the top radiator support comes apart. And unless I am mistaken, it looks like the hood and hinges come out as an assembly?.
    Anyway, regarding the fan (Spal 16 inch) after removal of the four mounting screws it EASILY slid upward and came out over the top of the chassis X-Brace. So, I'm feeling pretty stupid......but also feeling lucky and happy to have it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or, maybe more useful, can anyone recommend a "slim profile" electric fan that might be able to be installed without major disassembly?
    For future reference with regard to a slimline electric fan, I run the Flex-a-Lite Flex-Wave fan (rated at 3,000 cfm) in Rosie and my two other classics:

https://flex-a-lite.com/16-inch-flex...an-puller.html

Hope the rest of your project gets easier.
    "Rosie" is a MK1 with Ford Racing 306 Crate Motor, AOD Transmission, and 3:55 Posi Rear End. "She's a whole lotta woman - she's a whole lotta Rosie." - AC/DC

8. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Likes ProfessorB liked this post