Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Advice for FE engine

Post Thanks / Like

Advice for FE engine

Hi there, newbie here. I am about to start my MK4 journey. For various reasons, I am starting to build the engine first and will order my kit next year. Many years ago I had a 1964 Galaxie 500 with a 390 engine so I like the idea of building a FE engine for this project. I want to buy a short block and finish the assembly myself using aluminum heads, roller cam, and fuel injection. Dan at FFR was very helpful and pointed me towards the original Cobra oil pan that is still being produced. I know using a FE in the MK4 isn’t super popular but I am hoping there will be some ideas out there that would help me figure out how to spec out my engine. My initial questions are:

1) Engine mounts. I understand the MK4 has an option for FE mount and this is the 3 bolt “newer” style mount. Some older FE blocks have a 2 bolt engine mount. The place I’m looking at for the short block says that they can’t guarantee which style I would get but that they can provide an adaptor plate for either style. My concern is that if I had an older 2 bolt style block with an adaptor plate, the engine might sit 1/4” too high in the frame and I’d have other clearance issues. I’d like to ask them to ensure it is a 3 bolt mount before I purchase. Am I overthinking this?
    2) Expansion tank. I like the look and the function of the FE style expansion tank. It will remind me of my old Galaxie. I think the original 427 Cobras used this tank so it should fit. Does a standard tank fit? I’ve seen some things saying they needed to shorten it by 1” but maybe that was for a small block Ford? And it looks like the upper radiator connection in the MK4 kit is on the passenger side?
    3) Accessory drive. I want power steering and like the look of some of the aftermarket serpentine drive systems. But it needs to fit the steering shaft, fit under the hood, and work with the expansion tank. Any suggestions? Maybe a single serpentine belt isn’t ideal?

Any photos of a setup like I’m describing? Thanks for any advice you guys have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know where there's a built FE long block for sale cheap if you're interested.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post
    I know where there's a built FE long block for sale cheap if you're interested.
    I'm looking for an FE block if Boiler Ben doesn't want it.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a 390 FE block that was dipped and checked for cracks. It is just the bare block and the results were great. Let me know if anyone is interested. Price is $500 firm.

PS, I used the FFR motor mounts and headers. I found them in the forums and see them for sale every now and then.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post
    I have a 390 FE block that was dipped and checked for cracks. It is just the bare block and the results were great. Let me know if anyone is interested. Price is $500 firm.

PS, I used the FFR motor mounts and headers. I found them in the forums and see them for sale every now and then.

Henry
    What is the bore on it? I'll check with the guy I'm building the engine for.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Henry, any way you could bring it to San Marcos with you? I'm certain you could fit it in the trunk of a Cobra. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Bob,

Standard bore and I could load it in the trailer for San Marcos if needed or could bring to the London Cobra Show.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my customer is set on a 427/428 block so he's going to keep looking. So I doubt that engine will ever get built. Not many of those blocks floating around. Sorry to waste your time Henry. That's a good deal on that block. Wish he'd let me build it.

Bob

9. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boiler Ben
    On your issue #3. I'm putting a SBF stroker (427) backed by a TKX. I wanted to use the CVF pully system but the Ford and Saginaw pumps would not clear the steering shaft. My solution was to install an Epowersteering electronic power assist. (see build thread under "rebostar") CVF sells a nice system for BBF either serpentine or vee belt. So I'm just using the CVF Altinator, water pump, and crank pulleys.
    On the FE expansion tank, I just aquired two. I found (on this forun) how to convert it for use on a small block.
    Allyn