Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Registration

Post Thanks / Like

Registration

Hello,
    I wanted to see if anyone has used an old engine/block that didn't come with a bill of sale or title and if they had any issues registering thier car.

Thanks,
    Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Your answer needs to come from someone in your locality or state that has gone through the process. It varies widely.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks burchfieldb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have experience in Ohio, specifically central Ohio?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in Commie California, the CHP didn't even look at a serial number other than the FFR number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do they need to be able to see the number that is etched on the frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    My recommendation if no one else responds to this, to reach out to the ohio cobra club. I can guarentee someone there will be able to help on Ohio's registration requirements. Unfortunetly like others have stated every state is very different from each other.

https://ohiocobraclub.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas98 View Post
    My recommendation if no one else responds to this, to reach out to the ohio cobra club. I can guarentee someone there will be able to help on Ohio's registration requirements. Unfortunetly like others have stated every state is very different from each other.

https://ohiocobraclub.com/
    This helps, thanks for the information.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, the inspection that is part of the titling process in CO is specifically targeted to a) assuring the vehicle is road-worthy and b) to assure that the kit is not built with stolen parts. The latter of these is pretty weak IMO. No effort to look at engine numbers, here, ..., etc. As has been mentioned already, this process varies from state-to-state. Any bill of sale for key parts will suffer the inspection well IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I manged to track down the guy I bought it from and he said he would complete a bill of sale on it. He doesn't have a VIN, but I do have the serial number on the block.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would update this in case it helps someone else. According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol office, you have to have a title or a bill of sale with the VIN. I asked them if there were any other options and they said no and to go buy a new engine.