Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: What's up with my (power) steering alignment?

Post Thanks / Like

Angry What's up with my (power) steering alignment?

I've clearly screwed something up.

The manual says "center-to-center distance for the top of the outer Tie Rod End stud should be 53 1/16."

I'm at 52" c/c. My tie rods are bottomed out. It looks like I need another full inch of toe in. I can only get that by timing the steering shafts, but I don't see that in the manual.

It also looks like I have too much positive camber, and I'm just about bottomed out on the upper arm too.

Where did I go wrong?
    Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 3.39.41 PM.png
    IMG_2292.jpg
    IMG_2290.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Your picture #1 shows measuring from the center of the tie rod end. This should be about where the zerk fitting is.
    Your picture #3 shows you have the tape beginning at the tie rod end’s jam nut, NOT the center of the tie rod end joint.
    Measuring Jam nut to Jam nut would be result in a much shorter measurement.
    What do you measure from tie rod zerk to zerk?
    If you still have toe out, I bet the measurement is > 53-1/16.
    If your tie rods are bottomed out and you have toe out you may have to shorten the rack tie rods.
    I have read numerous threads on the forum where this is required. Here’s a recent one:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Rods-Too-Long
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with BUDFIVE in that you are not measuring from the correct reference points, use the zerk fittings not the nuts. Also, for power steering you will most likely need to trim both ends of the rear sleeves about 1/4" to set proper caster. Where the flat hex portion transitions to the curve is typically where people trim the sleeves. You need to trim both ends on each of the rear sleeves, the front sleeves are fine as is.
    Mk 4 complete kit w/IRS delivered (mostly) 10-31-22. BPE 347FI w/TXK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay. I'll measure Zerk to Zerk this afternoon. I measured center to center of the tie rod top nut. (That picture with the tape measure was to show how much I could trim off the tie-road sleave. )

JJK: You are saying to trim this outer leave 1/4" at each end?

Rear upper sleeve.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CptMorgan View Post
    I've clearly screwed something up.

The manual says "center-to-center distance for the top of the outer Tie Rod End stud should be 53 1/16."

I'm at 52" c/c. My tie rods are bottomed out. It looks like I need another full inch of toe in. I can only get that by timing the steering shafts, but I don't see that in the manual.

It also looks like I have too much positive camber, and I'm just about bottomed out on the upper arm too.

Where did I go wrong?
    Wait, wait...something isn't jiving here. If your goal is 53 1/16" and you're currently at 52" you need to mace the center to center distance longer by backing threads OUT of the tie rod ends, not screwing more in which will make the C-C distance even less.

Regarding camber, here is my recommendation for a rough initial power steering setting to achieve approximately 7-8 degrees of positive caster and about .5 degree negative camber. As has been mentioned many times to get there you'll most likely need to cut back the rear sleeves about 1/4" and also cut a similar amount from the male stubs that they engage otherwise they'll bottom out internally. After you set these you can then adjust toe; I recommend 1/16-3/32" toe in (not out).

Good luck,
    Jeff

6. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Likes ProfessorB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff said. if you look at the sleeve with the 8.5" measurement you can see where the ends are trimmed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay. Jeff. I've matched your number. 9.75" front. 8.5" rear. I think my upper control arm is correct. Pic:
    Upper arm.jpg

My toe looks a bit better...
    But... I think my camber is off....
    I'm sitting at +12deg of camber on each side!! It looks hilarious.

IMG_2326.jpgfront.jpg

Something is really off. I must have really messed up something. It's like my lower control arms are short.

Are they supposed to be 12.5" long A-arms?

IMG_2330.jpg

Does anyone see what I've done wrong? I must have put something upside down or backward.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    You have pin drive lower arms as evidenced by the gusset location. Looks like you’re going to have to contact FFR to get the correct standard width arms.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    You have pin drive lower arms as evidenced by the gusset location. Looks like you’re going to have to contact FFR to get the correct standard width arms.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. That explains it. I'll call FFR in the morning. I'm sure glad I didn't start trimming the steering shafts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Followup.

A huge thank you Jeff. I've been hitting my head against the wall. I can now see that FFR shipped me 12508 Pin Drive Width lower arms, although the order and packing slip shows 12066 standard lower arms. That explains everything. My lower arms are 2" short...

Cheers,
    -Morgan