Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wilwood clutch master cylinder problems in type 3 daytona coupe65 coupe

Post Thanks / Like

wilwood clutch master cylinder problems in type 3 daytona coupe65 coupe

Anyone else have to replace their Wilwood compact remote flange master cylinder because of leakage? Before i hit 500 miles in my type 3 small block Ford Daytona I had my Wilwood mastercylinder that came in my complete kit started leaking out the rear piston I I kept gaining free play....soon the clutch wouldn't disengage. Replaced the master cylinder with another Wilwwod on and all was good and I was off and driving. 800 miles and 1 year later the same problem again....kept gaining freeplay and before i got home i has no clutch disengagement. Has anyone else had this problem? I installed both as per the factory five instructions...cutting 5/8 inch off the threads etc...I must be doing something wrong.....I have an American powertrain hydraulic throw out bearing, and everything there seems to be working fine...just have had to replace two clutch master cylinders already?????
    Last edited by flyingfarley; 03-18-2024 at 07:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced one during my build so far due me being un-happy with the operation, but no leaks. Tilton makes a drop in replacement that should fit the same.
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

Post Thanks / Like
    I would take both apart and see if you can figure out why.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine arrived with corrosion on the piston rods. I only realized it when I pulled back the rubber boot to check something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem happen - clutch master on the hot rod, less than a year in. It happened a ferry ride and an hour away from home. Found a local hot rod shop to help me out. Their comment was this is the third Wilwood master they've seen do this in the last year.... I replaced with the same Wilwood but if it happens again I'll be sure to use something else - it is an absolute bear to get out from behind a gen 1 hot rod dash!!!

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition