FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadster coyote bell housing

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster coyote bell housing

I recently installed my Gen 3 Coyote engine/trans into my MK4 to verify clearance for my E-brake etc. While the engine was in I noticed the bell housing (aluminum) hangs down below the 4" frame rails. I put a straight edge across and measured 3/8" that the bell housing extends below the frame. One corner of the oil pan is also slightly below the frame. Because this makes me somewhat uncomfortable I raised the engine enough to slip two 1/8" thick washers (1/4" total) on the 6 motor mount bolts (the washers are between the motor mount and the block). Measured again and now the bell housing is about 1/16" below the frame.
    Initially the motor mount alignment pins were close to the bottom of the slot. After adding the washers the pins are 1/8 to 1/4" from the top of the slot.

Is it ok to add spacers between the motor mounts and the block? Or, do I need to make new spacers to be installed within the motor mount itself? I have seen posts about cutting the bottom of the bell housing but it seems that would weaken it. Anyone have other options or is this not something to worry about?

Ideally I would add 3 washers so all engine/transmission parts are above the frame. But at a minimum go with 2 washers and minimal extension below the frame.

Would raising the engine cause clearance issues with the hood? Or any other potential issues?

Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the 1/2 inch spacers in the motor mounts? The mounts need to come apart to install them.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The 1/2" spacers that Mike asked about are necessary to keep the Coyote off the footboxes. Mainly on the driver's side. Also of course helps with the bell housing situation you're describing. Personally, I wouldn't adjust further with washers or whatever. Beyond what may do to the integrity of the engine sitting properly in the mounts, you'll have other unintended consequences like header/pipe alignment, perhaps pinion angle, etc. This is a very common problem and most of us just trim that bottom edge of the bell housing. It's a relatively easy fix. I've done it several times.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-21-2024 at 05:12 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the 1/2" spacers are installed on both sides. The bell housing is the part of the problem but the oil pan (passenger side) is also slightly below the frame. That is my biggest worry.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the trans mount? Have you made any adjustments for pinion angle yet? If you have to raise the tail of the trans to achieve proper pinion angle that will have an impact on the bell and oil pan and bring them up as well.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine is back out now. I did not check pinion angle. In fact I don't know how to check pinion angle. But I understand what you are saying, as long as the trans needs to be raised to get the correct pinion angle, the bell housing/oil pan will come up reducing the problem. I will have research pinion angle. Thanks foe everyone's input. It will most likely be a while till I put the coyote back in.