Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Lee's Mk4 Cobra build, Alpine, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Lee's Mk4 Cobra build, Alpine, CA

On 3/19 Stewart Transportation's truck delivered my Mk4 Complete Kit. Mark's (Stewart's #1 driver) face was priceless when he saw the 500' distance to the bottom of the 12% sloped, 90' driveway. A trooper, he didn't break a sweat getting it there. So, as the chassis is on the hook, dangling half out of the trailer, the crane quits. He pretty quickly taught it a thing or two, and we had it on the dolly in no time. The riding lawn mower made an easy trip up the narrow street and my steep driveway. Once safely in the garage, he headed off, up Interstate 5 at 5pm. Wouldn't trade places with him for nearly anything. He still had another delivery in Garden Grove that night.

Did the inventory on the 19th and 20th. Nearly everything is here, except the 15" wheels which were backordered.

Going for a basic, few frills build. I want a racecar for the street, and I'll likely be in it alone a lot. Here in San Diego County we see about 300 days of sunshine. So, this is going to be in my reserved parking spot at work A LOT.

I ordered the complete kit, powder coated, holes cut, with vinyl seats, wipers, wind wings, and sun visors. Black pipes and single roll bar.

The carbureted 331 is being built by Arce Racing Engines in Santee, CA. I originally thought I'd be putting a mild build on my '65 289 block, but I taking it to a racing engine builder was probably not smart there. It's getting all new everything, including the fully forged rotating assembly, Hydraulic roller cam, AFR heads and many other goodies. I was telling myself I'd be happy with 300hp. He says I'll be REALLY happy. Probably closer to 400hp or more.

I'm going for a simple and relatively quick build. My goal is to take my oldest daughter to her first day of High school this August. We'll see.

I'm just a backyard mechanic, so I'll be leaning heavily on the advice of those in the forums.

I have the Forte throttle linkage, and Breeze's fan shroud and throttle pedal.

No power steering. No radio. No A/C. No heater. I'm struggling with the cup holders, as I really want them, but don't want to see them there... Again, we'll see.

So, I've removed the few fasteners that hold the fiberglass onto the chassis, in preparation for removal this weekend. I have a 10.5' ceiling in the garage, and want to hang the body up there somehow. That's this weekend's project. Then, onto stripping the chassis and beginning the build.

My wife knows she's going to be a garage widow for the next few months. I think a few nice drives up the coast on a warm summer day should be adequate compensation.... Hopefully many of those to come.

I will be taking pictures and video, but I don't think my build thread will be a priority, as August looms large, and I'm a little intimidated by this whole project. So, focusing on the build itself for now.

With that, too much work ahead to be sitting in front of the screen.

As Mike Patey says: "Back to work!".

2. Likes eaglemike, F500guy, M. Townsend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm local, and have a small manufacturing machine shop in El Cajon. I hope your build goes smooth and easy. If you are open to a visit at some point I'd sure love to check it out.
    I've been dreaming about the Factory Five stuff for years.
    all the best, Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike,

Shoot me an email: [email protected]. I'm at home Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday, usually. Not much to see at the moment, as I'm rigging up the lift system so that I can remove the body, but you can get a really good idea of what the complete kit looks like.

Thanks again,

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Ready to Build!

Rigged up a way to remove the body by myself, and suspend it from the ceiling. Worked fine. Marked all of the panels, dashed lines for overlaps, solid lines for up against steel. Removed and stacked all of the aluminum panels. Discovered I didn't have the silicone, so will have to wait until tomorrow to begin the assembly in earnest. So far, so good.

IMG_20240323_205827.jpgIMG_20240323_205805.jpgIMG_20240323_205748.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't get to work on the car Sunday until after 2pm. Family. Front suspension is on, although the hub nuts aren't torqued. I mean, who has a 250 ft/lb torque wrench and a 1 3/8" socket? I will, as soon as they are delivered tomorrow.... So, the brakes aren't on yet, but I did get the steering rack mounted. The passenger side flange with the mounting hole for the rack wasn't aligned with the front and the rack, so I had to elongate that a tiny bit. So, waiting for the tools to crank on the hub nuts, then I can mount the brakes. Didn't accomplish as much as had I hoped for the weekend, but at least I've started to build.

IMG_20240324_230230.jpgIMG_20240324_230217.jpgIMG_20240324_230224.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I caught the error with the shock mounting. The driver's side needs to be put in the lower holes.

The socket and new 250 ft/lb torque wrench will be here tomorrow, and the hub nuts will be torqued then. After that, the brakes can go on. I think I'll move on to the steering column next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to be a nice build. I think you will regret the manual steering in time.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,
    I need the workout? I thought about power steering. I want to get this built as quickly as possible, so I didn't want to fiddle with that. If necessary, I can add it later. I understand that we're never really done with these things....

I liked the manual rack in my '76 308 GTB, which is the only analog I have to this car. This is definitely one of the disadvantages of never having driven a FF Mk4 before buying my kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jllinds View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I need the workout? I thought about power steering. I want to get this built as quickly as possible, so I didn't want to fiddle with that. If necessary, I can add it later. I understand that we're never really done with these things....

I liked the manual rack in my '76 308 GTB, which is the only analog I have to this car. This is definitely one of the disadvantages of never having driven a FF Mk4 before buying my kit.
    I'm with you! I built a lot of street rods and always had manual steering. Years ago I built a Cobra and it had manual steering. I started out going manual on the one I'm building now but got convinced to change my mind. It's not so much the steering effort as power steering allows you to run a lit more caster. These little high horsepower short wheelbase cars are twitchy enough as it is, adding 4 or 5 degrees more caster helps to stabilize them quite a bit. You'll also find it's easier to sell and for more money with PS. If you change and go with power steering you won't regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night I obtained the correct 36mm socket and received my new 250lb torque wrench, and so was able to torque the hub nuts and put on the dust covers. I also installed the steering linkage. Had a heck of a time getting the aluminum boss onto the top shaft. That part was not fun. And, that boss isn't coming off that shaft anytime soon.

The length of the lower shaft had me flummoxed for awhile. After an hour long struggle, I was able to get everything aligned and spaced properly to allow for smooth operation throughout the entire rotational range.

Brakes go on tonight. Not sure what's going to be next. The friend who was supplying the rear end, hasn't. Not sure what's happening there, but now I'm ready to put it in, and it's not at the house.

I wanted powder coating on several items, but didn't want to pay $7/sqft for someone else to do it, so I have all of the necessary equipment and supplies, except for the curing oven. The control box and heater are built, I just need to finish the oven and install those. Again, "they" are predicting heavy rains over the weekend, so we'll see what I'm able to get done before then.

A few pics of where I stand one week after receipt of the kit:
    IMG_20240327_010959.jpgIMG_20240327_010940.jpgIMG_20240327_010924.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I thank those that convinced me to build with power steering every time I drive my roadster.
    I had a T bucket that had manual steering and thought it would be fine on the roadster.
    Down the highway, cruising is fine. Parking lots, car shows, backing out, etc, PS never quits making your day.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tiny bit of progress in my second week. Brakes and Pedal box so far. Lots of rain this weekend, so maybe I'll get something done. Enjoying this more than I thought, but I haven't gotten to the Electrical or the Aluminum panels yet...

IMG_20240329_071325.jpgIMG_20240329_071330.jpgIMG_20240329_071351.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    If you open your pictures in Paint and resave them it will sort out the rotation issues for you and keep me from getting a kink in my neck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post
    If you open your pictures in Paint and resave them it will sort out the rotation issues for you and keep me from getting a kink in my neck
    I thought that was weird, as they display correctly on my computer. I'll try that on the one's I post in a few minutes. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    For the little tabs that hold the brake and the clutch safety switches, which come bare, I just shot them with some enamel and put them in place. However, I had purchased the Eastwood powder coating tool, and a bunch of stuff to go with it, and wanted to try powder coating. Well, tonight, after a quick trip to Walmart, I went ahead and powder coated my first piece. My below-budget setup may look pretty rough, but it worked! I have to work on the sand blasting, as I don't have a cabinet, and that turned out to be a bigger mess than anticipated. But, over all, for a few hundred dollars, I can live with the result.

IMG_20240330_183331.jpgIMG_20240330_183341.jpgIMG_20240330_183325.jpgIMG_20240330_190348.jpgIMG_20240330_190402.jpgIMG_20240330_191708.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Powder coated the E-brake parts that were bare. Began the aluminum panel install. My HarborFreight pneumatic rivet gun stopped working after the third panel was started. The old manual one I had, didn't work. Another one coming via Amazon tomorrow, so back to riveting then. Blast cabinet comes Thursday, so I'll take a little time out and do some more powder coating. Struggling to obtain a rear end. Looks like we're going to have to narrow the 2001 that I have in the yard, and rebuild it with 3.55 gears. I thought they'd be available in greater numbers in junk yards and such. Apparently not. T5 tranny's are available, but I think I want to build that up too. We'll see.

IMG_20240402_070912.jpgIMG_20240401_083740.jpgIMG_20240402_223740.jpgIMG_20240402_223749.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night I obtained the correct 36mm socket and received my new 250lb torque wrench, and so was able to torque the hub nuts and put on the dust covers. I also installed the steering linkage. Had a heck of a time getting the aluminum boss onto the top shaft. That part was not fun. And, that boss isn't coming off that shaft anytime soon.

The length of the lower shaft had me flummoxed for awhile. After an hour long struggle, I was able to get everything aligned and spaced properly to allow for smooth operation throughout the entire rotational range.

Brakes go on tonight. Not sure what's going to be next. The friend who was supplying the rear end, hasn't. Not sure what's happening there, but now I'm ready to put it in, and it's not at the house.

I wanted powder coating on several items, but didn't want to pay $7/sqft for someone else to do it, so I have all of the necessary equipment and supplies, except for the curing oven. The control box and heater are built, I just need to finish the oven and install those. Again, "they" are predicting heavy rains over the weekend, so we'll see what I'm able to get done before then.

A few pics of where I stand one week after receipt of the kit:
    IMG_20240327_010959.jpgIMG_20240327_010940.jpgIMG_20240327_010924.jpg
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the outer tie rods are supposed to attached from under the steering arms, not from above. you may need to disassemble and swap the steering arms side to side

Post Thanks / Like
    in your first post you were talking about cup holders. Here's a pick of my interior. Strongly influenced by echewy's
    I also have no power anything and I like it that way, but others would not. But that is what is so nice about these builds. You get to build it the way you want! Every one is unique.
    My Cobra Interior.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom,

Your interior is beautiful. I'm probably going to break down and install the cup holders. I'm going to be driving this car quite a bit, and having them is almost mandatory. For several years, my daily driver was a 308 GTB, which didn't have any, and it was a huge PITA. I'm going for my version of a race car for the street. I guess my version has cup holders. Yours appear to be in the perfect spot. I'll probably steal your layout there. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Yea, I put them on at first and then questioned that very thing. I found a reference somewhere indicating this is the way for the manual rack. FFR hasn't shipped the Halibrands yet, they're supposed to be here later this month. Once they arrive, I'll check for clearances. If I have to remove the hubs, so be it. Won't be the firs thing I need to redo, and probably not the last! Thanks for calling it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the outer tie rods are supposed to attached from under the steering arms, not from above. you may need to disassemble and swap the steering arms side to side
    Hi, Yea, I put them on at first and then questioned that very thing. I found a reference somewhere indicating this is the way for the manual rack. FFR hasn't shipped the Halibrands yet, they're supposed to be here later this month. Once they arrive, I'll check for clearances. If I have to remove the hubs, so be it. Won't be the firs thing I need to redo, and probably not the last! Thanks for calling it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the hub nuts are one time use. if you've already torqued them down, they may need to be replaced. I'm not sure if you can swap the steering arms without removing them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Yea, I put them on at first and then questioned that very thing. I found a reference somewhere indicating this is the way for the manual rack.
    Don't know where you found that reference but it was wrong. Whether manual or power steering the tie rods install from below. This means that as Chewy mentioned your steering arms will have to be swapped on the spindles as well. They are to be installed so that the bend in the arms angle them outward and the wide end of the taper faces down. I see that you don't have a pin in the lower ball joint so perhaps you haven't torqued it yet---you can break it loose and disengage it from the spindle which will let you drop the LCA down to change the steering arms and avoid having to remove the hub.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, how's he supposed to remove the bolts holding the steering arm on the spindle w/o removing the hub?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, how's he supposed to remove the bolts holding the steering arm on the spindle w/o removing the hub?
    Bolts can stay; remove the nuts and then remove the arm.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Bolts can stay; remove the nuts and then remove the arm.

Jeff
    ah yes...that should work once he drops the LCA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I undid my mistake. There were a few words of frustration getting the lower ball joints to let go, but as usual the forum yielded the information to make that happen. I swapped the steering arms, and mounted the tie rods as they should be. I think. If you see anything else I should be fixin', please let me know.

I started on the PS footbox. Not as bad as I was anticipating. Although that caulking gets all over everything somehow. Is there any reason that I need to install the outer side panel right now? I'm thinking that insulation and carpeting would be a lot easier with that off....

More as it develops...

IMG_20240405_203701.jpgIMG_20240405_203643.jpgIMG_20240405_205329.jpgIMG_20240405_205334.jpg
    Last edited by jllinds; 04-06-2024 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sergio brought his 4.6l Supercharged Mk3 VenomXS over yesterday. What a monster that thing is. I had to be very careful not do drool all over it. Very happy to see a Cobra in my driveway, which hopefully will be a much more frequent occurance! Thanks, Sergio, for your visit and kind words!

1000025016.jpg.jpeg
    Last edited by jllinds; 04-10-2024 at 01:05 AM.