FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Physical demands of the job -- full disclosure

Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Physical demands of the job -- full disclosure

I ran across this today on a job posting for an IT position. I guess it is tongue-in-cheek...

Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.

Good sense of humor, wish it fit my skills.

AJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Roadster NJ View Post
    I ran across this today on a job posting for an IT position. I guess it is tongue-in-cheek...

Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.

Good sense of humor, wish it fit my skills.

AJ
    I wish that was a joke. That's a real physical requirement description. They're often used for Americans with Disability Act compliance and worker's comp claims, light duty, etc. Part of the sue-happy politically correct culture we're all in now.

Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sheesh. In that case, they forgot to mention breathing, and of course regulating one's own body temperature.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OMG. Writing skills must not have been a job requirement for the HR person who put that together! But it's funny. It reminds me a little bit of instructions that are written in one language and then translated to another (sometimes losing something in the translation). WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Similarly worded descriptions of jobs' physical requirements are also used as part of the analysis for determining eligibility for Social Security disability payments. If you want some reading that's far less interesting than tube-chassis race cars, just look up Title 20 of the Code of Federal Regulations and read all about it. I spent 2 years as a law clerk for a federal judge, and part of the job was drafting opinions on Social Security appeals. Many of the decisions would turn on whether, given their limitations, the Social Security applicants could perform "sedentary," "light" or "medium" work activities.