Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New mustang with MK4 body

Post Thanks / Like

New mustang with MK4 body

Very new to this site. Planning my build. This is the concept. Would like to get a 2021-2022 mustang GT as the donor car. I want to put all the tech into my MK4 car. Has anyone done this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. The engine and some of the IRS will work. Trans is more trouble than is worth. Getting all the electronics to talk and behave is going to be a monumental task. You might be better off with the Mustang.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Good luck. The engine and some of the IRS will work. Trans is more trouble than is worth. Getting all the electronics to talk and behave is going to be a monumental task. You might be better off with the Mustang.
    Mike
    I agree it would be much easier to just buy a mustang GT. But it won't be a cobra....lol.
    Why is the trans so much trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarrows View Post
    I agree it would be much easier to just buy a mustang GT. But it won't be a cobra....lol.
    Why is the trans so much trouble.
    Wrong shifter location, non-standard driveshaft compared to the usual transmissions used, non-standard mounting, less than ideal gear ratios. All can be dealt with. But the effort and result needs to be compared to using one of the recommended ones. TKX the most common, T-56 less common, and an occasional T-5 which used to be the norm but not so much any more.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    …But it won't be a cobra....
    If you put all the whiz-bang tech on it that won’t be a Cobra either. But hey, if it is to you go for it!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Total pita, but would be cool. I was torn between something bare bones and something more "resto mod". Once I decided on the coyote, it didn't feel right to have a modern motor in an old car, so I've done some real stupid stuff so far. If I build another, it will be bare bones.
    Mark IV Gen 3 Coyote
    Started 7/22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very new to this site. Planning my build. This is the concept. Would like to get a 2021-2022 mustang GT as the donor car. I want to put all the tech into my MK4 car. Has anyone done this?
    As said, not the best donor to choose. When I built my MK4 starting in 2011, it was just before the Coyote became a popular engine option. I went with a 2004 Mach 1 with 38K miles bought from the Copart auction site. For about $6K all in with delivery to my Uncle's shop, I got the best donor as 2004 is the last year that most everything from the Mustang is usable. Then, the 2004 was only 7 years old and, beyond some cleaning, I used the engine, trans, rear axle, brake system, fuel system, harness dieted by Art at WireDiet and lots of miscellaneous parts. I then sold off the shell, especially the interior for about $1500 without much effort. Today, IMO the 2004 donor, unless you find a very low mileage wrecked one, is just too old to be a good start. This is why so many people here build with all new and remanufactured parts. For a Mustang restomod I am working on, I was very fortunate to buy a 2017 Mustang GT with a 2300 miles on it for cheap as it had a CA junk title on it. The junk title meant you could not repair and put the car back onto the streets of CA, for once TY Cali. The aftermarket for Mustang restomod parts also does not utilize parts from the modern Mustang beyond the engine and IRS, so Factory Five is similar in that respect. My suggestion to you is to buy the complete kit and find the best donor Mustang, or even possibly a F150 with a Coyote in it and use it as your engine donor. You will be miles ahead with the complete kit. A F150 Coyote can be updated to have Mustang level performance or better with a little money spent. The engines from the F150 are cheaper than those coming out of a Mustang. Power By The Hour can help you convert and enhance the F150 Coyote. You can buy the complete IRS from a late model Mustang for $1000 on a pallet, cheaper if you get lucky. Beyond the engine and IRS, forget about Mustang as a donor as all that tech is also a major PITA to transplant into the Cobra. If you want to bang your head against the proverbial wall, by all means go for it. If you want to do the build cost and time effectively, buy the complete kit and source the Coyote and IRS from a donor or on a pallet.
    Good luck
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.