Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body Work Question on my Daytona #50

Post Thanks / Like

Body Work Question on my Daytona #50

Hey Everyone.

So i 2K Primed my Daytona with 3 coats and began block sanding with 220 grit. Finished that. Overall i am pleased. But i have area's that has gone through the body.

So my options are:

1) So should i respray another coat and then do 320 grit.

2) Touch up all of the area's with a spray can 2K Primer and Sand 320 Grit and then do it again with 600 grit

3) Just carry on with 320 grit, 600 grit then primer seal the whole car.

Last picture below shows an example of areas.

Thankyou!!!

.2K Primer 3.jpg2K Primer 4.jpg2K Primer 2.jpg2K Primer.jpg220 grit Sanding.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Areas as large as what you show in photo #5 I'd hit again with a couple of coats. 220 is cutting pretty heavy and contributing to your burn through. FWIW, I block 2k with 320 dry and then go over it with 600 wet.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Areas as large as what you show in photo #5 I'd hit again with a couple of coats. 220 is cutting pretty heavy and contributing to your burn through. FWIW, I block 2k with 320 dry and then go over it with 600 wet.

Jeff
    Thankyou So much. That i can definitely do.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Jeff
    Hey Jeff, Do you lay down another coat of guide coat before wet sanding 600? Or just wet sand 600 and make sure you hit everywhere. Do you use the big blocks for large area's or just a small block for everything.
    Maybe im just asking how you wet sand 600 lololol.

Thankyou
    Nelson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Automan View Post
    Hey Jeff, Do you lay down another coat of guide coat before wet sanding 600? Or just wet sand 600 and make sure you hit everywhere. Do you use the big blocks for large area's or just a small block for everything.
    Maybe im just asking how you wet sand 600 lololol.

Thankyou
    Nelson
    I don't use guide coat ever. My aging eyes can still see the color difference between sanded and unsanded high build and 2K primers without it, but some feel better using it---personal preference. Once you've blocked with 320 you're done with shaping and all that the 600 wet is doing is smoothing out the 320 scratch. I do it using a #20 3M soft pad (they call it a sponge pad which might lead you to believe that it absorbs water but it doesn't). Watch the 600 wet on edges and sharp radius because it will cut through suprisingly fast!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use guide coat ever. My aging eyes can still see the color difference between sanded and unsanded high build and 2K primers without it, but some feel better using it---personal preference. Once you've blocked with 320 you're done with shaping and all that the 600 wet is doing is smoothing out the 320 scratch. I do it using a #20 3M soft pad (they call it a sponge pad which might lead you to believe that it absorbs water but it doesn't). Watch the 600 wet on edges and sharp radius because it will cut through suprisingly fast!

Jeff
    Thankyou Jeff!!