Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Wiper requirements for Connecticut dmv inspection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixflyer View Post
    I’m going through the Connecticut dmv requirements for a composite inspection of my Mk4 . The only requirement I seem to have a problem with is the wiper. It doesn’t require a defroster for an open roadster but lists an electric, air or vacuum operated wiper. I’ve been looking for a clip on one at the top of the windshield but haven’t found anything yet. Failing that, does anyone have the wiper kit from FFR that they’d sell? Has anyone here had any experience with CT DMV? Thanks in advance.
    Hold off on bringing your roadster to DMV for inspection. I was there with my car a week and a half ago and they turned me away. I will make a very long story as short as I possibly can. Factory Five applied to be a recognized as a replica manufacturer with The National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration (NHTSA). I believe this is part of a new federal law. The State of CT passed a law based on the federal law that went into effect in January of this year. The CT law states that replica manufacturers who are on the NHTSA list of recognized replica manufacturers no longer require a DMV inspection (sounds crazy, I know). When I went for inspection, the supervisor told me that since Factory Five applied to be on NHTSA's list they could not inspect my vehicle and I would have to wait for NHTSA to approve Factory Five's application. At that point I would not need an inspection and could go right to a DMV branch for registration. I was the unfortunate one to be the first in CT to attempt inspection since the law change. While I was in the inspection line at DMV, I called FFR and they put me through to Dave Smith himself. Dave spoke to the inspector as well. Dave assured me that he would complete their application within a week and would try to get FFR on the NHTSA website within the next 3 weeks. Here is the link to the website so that you can check when FFR is listed: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/MID/Home/Search586/
    So I would hold off on the wipers because it looks like you will not have to go through inspection. I will be attempting registration as soon as FFR appears on this list and I will let you know how it goes. The inspector from DMV has offered to call my local DMV branch before I go for registration to explain the new law since it is likely I will be the first one going through under the new law.

2. Thanks Keepmvng thanked for this post
    Likes ProfessorB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to hijack the thread, but this is interesting. Do you know if there is a list of states that will apply the NHTSA policy?

4. Thanks Sigurd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but this is interesting. Do you know if there is a list of states that will apply the NHTSA policy?
    When I was on the phone with Dave Smith he mentioned that CT, and I believe 2 or 3 other states, have changed their laws based on the new federal law. I apologize, but the only other one that I remember besides CT was Florida.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, but I can't imagine Texas would be high on the list to replace a state policy with a federal one , but that would be nice.

7. Thanks Sigurd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    Thanks, but I can't imagine Texas would be high on the list to replace a state policy with a federal one , but that would be nice.
    I wouldn't think Florida would be either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbev View Post
    I wouldn't think Florida would be either.
    Will the registration requirements be the same. Register as a "component", try for year of 1965, don't leave without a VIN. With the new law will you be able to get "classic" plates. How, and when, will you get a "real" VIN. This is GREAT news..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonandlynn5022 View Post
    Will the registration requirements be the same. Register as a "component", try for year of 1965, don't leave without a VIN. With the new law will you be able to get "classic" plates. How, and when, will you get a "real" VIN. This is GREAT news..
    You will register it as a 1965 "Replica". The VIN will be the 12 digit serial number on your certificate of origin and frame. They will not issue you a 17 digit VIN. And they will NEVER be eligible for "classic" plates.
    Here is a link to where DMV explains it: https://portal.ct.gov/dmv/vehicle-se...language=en_US

When you read what DMV says in this link it seems clear that FFR would fall under the component car category and not replica. And they should. The replica category is meant for companies who assemble, to completion, small volumes of replicas in their factories and not for the guy building it in their garage. The State of CT apparently does not care, and as long as FFR appears on that NHTSA list you will not be required to go through inspection.
    Last edited by Tbev; 03-30-2024 at 04:45 AM.

11. Thanks Keepmvng thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    CT DMV states they will not issue classic plates for composite vehicles, even when 20 years old.

Edited: I’ve been fighting for classic plates for our cars for roughly 4 years. Working with legislators, testifying, corresponding with DMV. No luck.

My FFR is registered as a 2004. Now 20 years old, DMV still stating not eligible for classic plates.

See my auto signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonandlynn5022 View Post
    Last edited by Badfish; 03-30-2024 at 06:53 AM.
    FFR4462 - Taxed out of Connecticut
    If you live in CT, you need to read these threads on registration & taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...247#post442247
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Tax-Increases!

Post Thanks / Like
    Please keep us (me) posted on your progress, I should be ready this summer and hope to follow you to get my Mk4 on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixflyer View Post
    Please keep us (me) posted on your progress, I should be ready this summer and hope to follow you to get my Mk4 on the road.
    I will. I have an appointment scheduled with DMV in two weeks. I check the NHTSA website daily to see if FFR is listed. If it is not listed before my DMV appointment then I will have to delay DMV. I'll let you know how it goes.