FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 383 engine mounts

Post Thanks / Like

383 engine mounts

Anyone running a small block Chevy and 700 R4 transmission In a GEN 2 Chassis which way did you mount the engine mounts like the manual or the super secret way thank you in advanceIMG_6056.jpeg
    Last edited by Ltfracing; 04-04-2024 at 08:54 AM.
    33 hot rod,383 sbc tri power setup ,700 r4 transmission,gen1 body gen2 chassis

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the super secret way. I modified the FFR brackets to move the engine back as far as I could get away with. Made different spacers between the brackets with the mounts on the engine in the factory mounting location. The square insert has since been replace by round tube
    20230114_184656.jpg

3. Likes Ltfracing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If I understand the photo correctly, it looks like the weight of the engine (x3 or x4 to account for vibration) is being carried by a single bolt loaded in both shear and bending. Are you using a shoulder bolt for this and did you use a larger size bolt than usual? If the answer to either question is "No", then I would be concerned about the bolt failing in a relatively short time - with possibly terrible consequences.

Keith HR #894 (& BSME/MSME)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    If I understand the photo correctly, it looks like the weight of the engine (x3 or x4 to account for vibration) is being carried by a single bolt loaded in both shear and bending. Are you using a shoulder bolt for this and did you use a larger size bolt than usual? If the answer to either question is "No", then I would be concerned about the bolt failing in a relatively short time - with possibly terrible consequences.

Keith HR #894 (& BSME/MSME)
    1/2" grade 8 and there are 2 bolts to the frame, one that bolts the mount to the mount, 3 in to the block.