BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel sending unit question

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel sending unit question

Like to get some advice…. Wish I had more experience here.

Going to run a 383 stroker with a Holley Sniper EFI. Spoke to Holley and their recommendation is to run all 3/8” fuel lines (supply and return). I did. Now looking at return on the sending unit and it is a 1/4 inch pipe on the sending unit. Seemed to be a “restriction”. Holley recommended to change it to 3/8” pipe and suggested the return tube should go down to about 1” from the bottom of the sending unit towards the bottom of the tank. The 1/4 inch return pipe in the sending unit extends about 3/4 inch below the top of the sending unit so it would have to be extended 6 plus inches.

So, here are my questions…

1- Is this a concern and has anyone run into problems with the 1/4 inch return on the sending unit for a 383 / sniper EFI configuration when rest is 3/8” fuel lines?
    2- Anyone do anything to increase volume on the return pipe of the sending unit and if so what did you do? E.G. drill out 1/4 tube and weld in 3/8”?
    3- Do you need to extend the return deeper into the tank regardless the configuration and if so what did you all do?

Hopefully I am just thinking about it too much ;-)

Thanks in advance all.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the exact configuration 383/Sniper but I went 3/8 all the way, I used a Boyd Aftermarket tank. The advice about the return location low in the tank is spot on, that will avoid cavitation. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced the Roadster kit-supplied fuel pump hanger with the Pro-M 87-93 Mustang Race hanger. It has 3/8" feed and 3/8" return fittings, both -6AN. It also has a return extension, to ensure return fuel doesn't cause cavitation.
    High Flow Fuel Pump Hanger for 1986 – 1997 Mustangs (promracing.com)
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!