Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Red Koni shocks adjustable for rebound? Wish I knew before install.

Post Thanks / Like

Red Koni shocks adjustable for rebound? Wish I knew before install.

My roadster build is nearing completion, I think, at least I have not added a lot of things to the “to do” list, that’s gotta mean something.
    I started reading about Setting the Ride Height, its a preliminary step to alignment, there’s always good info on the forum. There was a video on it as well, the one I watched notes the Red Koni shocks which came with the FF kit are adjustable for rebound??? , it goes on to say, although they’re supposed to be shipped set to the softest setting, Position #1, some arrive set to pos 2 & 3. The video shows how to check/adjust them so I won’t go into it here but from what I understand position 1 (softest setting) is where they should be if using the FF kit supplied front and rear coilover springs. Ok – wish I’d known this before assembly/installation, maybe the Koni people could include a note “to check” in the box the shock arrived in?
    No point starting ride height and alignment till I have peace of mind here so off come the wheels and shocks and disassembly to confirm the rebound setting, hours later, all of them checked out to be setting #1, so that’s a good thing.
    Set the ride height, using the process described on the forum, set 4.5” in the front and 5” in the back, the notes say to expect a little sag after driving, I’ll recheck this after a little driving and before professional alignment.
    One less thing on the list.
    2022 MKIV BP347, SniperEFI, IRS. Delivered June 22, Engine install Jan 23, first start May 23.

2. Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i was in the same boat. luckily the shock comes out w/o needing to remove much else.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can count me in this boat as well. Heart sunk a bit when I read that you can't rely on the shocks being set to the correct setting. Hopefully it won't be too big a deal to pull them out at some point between now and first drive.
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

5. Likes Jeff_J. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For me not knowing if they were all set correctly when they arrived/installed was the worst, I would have been trying to notice any difference whenever I was driving which would have bothered me, The benefit here is to be able to get to it before everythings buttoned down. It's a shock rebound setting so it shouldn't affect alignment or ride height but would affect ride and probably performance depending on how the car is used.
    Good to put this in the rear view mirror.
    2022 MKIV BP347, SniperEFI, IRS. Delivered June 22, Engine install Jan 23, first start May 23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's some info I found on the KONI site about it.
    This thread actually made me revisit my installation. I had just installed the shocks so it wasn't a big deal.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...stment-Guides/

Even made a video on my build thread about this.
    Kit delivery (3/17/2024)
    FFR Mark IV Roadster (Ordered 11/9/2023)
    408 LS Stroker Powerplant Ready To Rock (link below of the first start)

https://youtube.com/shorts/dH36tij3HK0?feature=share

8. Likes Jeff_J., AndrewIdaho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Glad I saw this now, I didn't know that they were adjustable. Fortunately mine are out right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can some explain how to adjust them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu46pt View Post
    Can some explain how to adjust them
    Ours are 30 series. Unless you are using higher rated springs than what FFR provided you should set them for full soft.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...t-Guides/mono/

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_J. View Post
    My roadster build is nearing completion, I think, at least I have not added a lot of things to the “to do” list, that’s gotta mean something.
    I started reading about Setting the Ride Height, its a preliminary step to alignment, there’s always good info on the forum. There was a video on it as well, the one I watched notes the Red Koni shocks which came with the FF kit are adjustable for rebound??? , it goes on to say, although they’re supposed to be shipped set to the softest setting, Position #1, some arrive set to pos 2 & 3. The video shows how to check/adjust them so I won’t go into it here but from what I understand position 1 (softest setting) is where they should be if using the FF kit supplied front and rear coilover springs. Ok – wish I’d known this before assembly/installation, maybe the Koni people could include a note “to check” in the box the shock arrived in?
    No point starting ride height and alignment till I have peace of mind here so off come the wheels and shocks and disassembly to confirm the rebound setting, hours later, all of them checked out to be setting #1, so that’s a good thing.
    Set the ride height, using the process described on the forum, set 4.5” in the front and 5” in the back, the notes say to expect a little sag after driving, I’ll recheck this after a little driving and before professional alignment.
    One less thing on the list.
    hey Jeff - can you share the link for the video you reference in the post #1? I'm interested to see the section showing how to check/adjust them to confirm mine are set in the softest setting.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo_texas View Post
    hey Jeff - can you share the link for the video you reference in the post #1? I'm interested to see the section showing how to check/adjust them to confirm mine are set in the softest setting.
    I linked the instructions in post #8

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Kleiner is always a great resource for this kinda stuff from an experienced perspective.

I actually stumbled across the red koni adjustability thing while I was researching watching a video made by i.e.427 garage on how to set my ride height. Jeff K's comments are what you need but if your interested in the video I think I posted the link here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOCEEYdNYOI

Jeff_J