FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Power steering rack "port" question

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering rack "port" question

[ATTACH=CONFIG]198083[/Port2.jpgPort2.jpgPort2.jpg]
    So now I'm totally confused. Which "port" on the rack is the pressure port and which port is the return? The reason I ask is that the "pressure"line I bought has a 9/16 fitting which fits the "number one" port......but when I bought the rack it had a "tag" indicating that the number two port (which is 1/2 inch) is the pressure port. Again, I am now totally confused. (See pics)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Fox Mustang rack #1 is return and #2 is pressure.

Jeff

3. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Likes ProfessorB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. And your answer matches the original manufacturers "tag" on the rack, identifying that port as the power port.
    So, obviously, I have the wrong hose. I did originally have a custom braided hose kit, complete with AN style fittings but it leaked. The problem was (I think, anyway) was that the nut, which compresses the ferrile on the hose, bottomed out before the ferrile was very compressed. So, at this stage, I just want to get a stock replacement hose from the autoparts store. I sourced one at O'Reillys but when I got it home I see that it fits the "larger" (#1) port. I asked for a replacement for a 1990 Mustang GT and this is the corresponding part. Can anybody tell me where I am going wrong....or give me a part number for a hose that actually fits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thrdcmpr.jpg
    For comparison, I was able to find the end of my old high-pressure hose (hose has been cut up). The threads on my old hose DO fit the pressure port on the rack. Again, at this stage, I sure wish I could find the "stock application" hose and just get one at the autoparts store. Now I'm wondering if all Fox body hoses are NOT the same....

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents since I'm spending your money...quit trying to cheese together a way to use the OEM hoses which are neither the proper length or shape. Make it easy on yourself and contact Mark at Breeze for his hose and fitting package.

https://breezeautomotive.com/shop/po...ted-ford-pump/

Jeff

7. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Likes ProfessorB, steno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For now, I just want to throw a hose on it. Sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Your old fitting is missing the O ring. When you get a new OEM hose don’t be surprised that it doesn’t seem to fit tight. The fitting is designed to allow for some movement.

Norm
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I know the seal is missing but that is not the question I'm trying to answer. I'm trying to figure out WHY a "stock replacement" high pressure line would have a 16mm fitting where it plugs into the high pressure port on the rack. When I got the line home from the auto parts store and saw that it had the large fitting (16 mm) where it attaches to the rack it made me question whether or not I had hooked it up backwards. So I created this post, complete with pictures of the rack ports (numbered, no less) to find out whether I had made a mistake identifying the ports. The answers given here confirm that I did NOT have the ports backwards.
    SO NOW THIS IS THE QUESTION: WHY WOULD A "STOCK REPLACEMENT" HIGH PRESSURE LINE HAVE A 16MM FITTING INSTEAD OF A 14MM FITTING? DID FORD MAKE SOME RACKS WITH A "LARGE" HIGH PRESSURE PORT? Nobody has answered this question. To be honest, I am very baffled by this. Did they make some racks with a large pressure port? Did the manufacturer just put on a large fitting by mistake? Until I get this answer, I will be unable to get a replacement line. So again, can anybody tell me why this replacement line has a 16mm fitting instead of a 14mm (where it attaches to the rack)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Best guess is, someone sold you the wrong hose. Rock Auto lists two types of hoses (with or without AC) for the 87 5.0 Mustang. Both have a 14 mm rack end.

Norm
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Braid1.jpgBraid2.jpg
    SOLUTION FOUND:
    Hope others can learn from my mistake, this story is....well... embarrassing. I started out with the Breeze braided line kit but had a series of failures/leaks at the fittings. I really didn't want to mention the kit as I didn't want to be perceived as complaining about the kit. It's a high quality kit. It's just that I, personally, struggled with it. I was too embarrassed to post about it.....and I couldn't get a hold of Breeze...so I kept trying and failing. After some frustration, I decided to go with "stock" autoparts store lines. THAT didn't work out either (LOL).
    So I gave it one more attempt this morning. I re-read the directions several times. (If there is just one "negative" comment, the directions could be improved slightly). Anyway, I figured out that I was doing it wrong...I was "peeling back" the braid too far. And I came up with my own method of cutting the hose which seemed to work for me: Bolt Cutters . So this morning I was finally able to assemble the kit properly and low and behold...no leaks.

13. Likes jrcuz liked this post