Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Did FFR sell me a 2+ year old engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Did FFR sell me a 2+ year old engine?

I just noticed this today. Does this mean the engine has been sitting around for 2.5 years?
    IMG_2341.jpg
    Delivery October 2023, #10847, Gen 3, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Guessing those are dates for the individual parts, not necessarily the engine assembly.
    Last edited by OB6; 04-16-2024 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a fruit or milk, doesn't go bad setting in a warehouse.
    How would we know, if it bothers you ask FFR?
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    After they told me that manual clutch is not possible on an FFR Coyote engine (not true), after having questions unanswered, and after they refused to replace a wheel with a bent hub.... well, I trust this board more.

If it has been sitting around that long, what special precautions should I take before starting the engine?
    Last edited by Mat1asBEV&ICE; 04-16-2024 at 02:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat1asBEV&ICE View Post
    After they told me that manual clutch is not possible on an FFR Coyote engine (not true), after having questions unanswered, and after they refused to replace a wheel with a bent hub.... well, I trust this board more.

If it has been sitting around that long, what special precautions should I take before starting the engine?
    Cable clutch (what you're referring to as "manual") IS possible with a Coyote however the engine and transmission package that you purchased from Factory Five AT is configured for a hydraulic throw out bearing so in that case it is not possible.

As for "special precautions"...none. Check the oil level and start it up.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Jeff. I thought I might have to manually lubricate some parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, FFR told me a similar story with Coyote and manual clutch. They sent me the clutch safety switch bracket for a hydraulic clutch, and when I called them to ask for the bracket for a manual clutch (it's different), they told me they'd have to make a run of them and send me one. A few days later, they told me they couldn't make me one, because 'no one ever builds a Coyote with a manual clutch anymore'.

I have since decided to go with a SBF and manual clutch, so I'll have to figure something out.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    For what it's worth, FFR told me a similar story with Coyote and manual clutch. They sent me the clutch safety switch bracket for a hydraulic clutch, and when I called them to ask for the bracket for a manual clutch (it's different), they told me they'd have to make a run of them and send me one. A few days later, they told me they couldn't make me one, because 'no one ever builds a Coyote with a manual clutch anymore'.

I have since decided to go with a SBF and manual clutch, so I'll have to figure something out.
    Well, I just built one! The clutch switch is a normally open plunger switch like the brake light switch and uses the same bracket to mount it to the Wilwood pedal box. If doing the Coyote you have the option of using that or using the clutch safety switch that is included with the control pack (which will require you to configure a mount to activate it).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Well, I just built one! The clutch switch is a normally open plunger switch like the brake light switch and uses the same bracket to mount it to the Wilwood pedal box. If doing the Coyote you have the option of using that or using the clutch safety switch that is included with the control pack (which will require you to configure a mount to activate it).

Jeff
    Good info. I don't like hydraulic clutches, so I'll have to fab something up when I get to that point. I think I'm going to go with a 427EFI from BPE.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info. I don't like hydraulic clutches, so I'll have to fab something up when I get to that point. I think I'm going to go with a 427EFI from BPE.
    Be aware that if you buy an engine & trans package from BP they use a hydraulic throw out bearing. Personally I’m not a fan of them.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Be aware that if you buy an engine & trans package from BP they use a hydraulic throw out bearing. Personally I’m not a fan of them.

Jeff

And they won't accept any changes to their packages? For $27,000, I'd think I could specify that change. I'll ask em.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just noticed this today. Does this mean the engine has been sitting around for 2.5 years?
    IMG_2341.jpg
    There is a good chance that Ford sold Factory Five a 2 year old engine. When they run the Ford Performance engines they run a bunch and toss them in a warehouse. This really happens a lot when the engine plant is running faster then the vehicle ones are and remember in 2021 the vehicle plants were constantly idled due to supply constraints. Engines not dedicated to a VIN are not goverened by the same Model Year rules as a vehicle. So yes you got an engine that is 2 yrs old, very doubtful Factory Five had it there for that time. Like Jeff said put it in and fire it up.

Heck you buy one of the ford performance 302s or 351s there is a good chance it has been on a shelf for 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_2341.jpg
    I'm assuming that's a Gen 3 Coyote? All of them come from the same plant (Essex engine plant in Windsor, Canada) and they switched over to the Gen 4 Coyote for the 2024 Mustang that was in dealers last summer. So the dates you're looking at are near the end of the run for that version. And as everyone says, nothing wrong with it. FWIW, consider yourself lucky you have one. Factory Five doesn't have any more Gen 3 crates and neither does anyone else.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best to prime oil pump and develop some oil pressure prior to iinitial start.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHsr View Post
    Best to prime oil pump and develop some oil pressure prior to iinitial start.
    Agreed, I wouldn't start a new engine that has been sitting without priming the oiling system. Don't know the process for a Coyote but the Hemi in my 33 has a port right above the oil filter. I attached a garden sprayer with oil in it and pumped oil into the engine until I saw it coming out under the rocker covers

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    wait, I'm now realizing all this. So we have the option of using the under mount on the wilwood pedal box or this setup? Was the thought that this setup is more reliable? Since I have the cable clutch, I guess I'll use the wilwood as is since I can't fabricate something.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivery 10/12/23
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    And they won't accept any changes to their packages? For $27,000, I'd think I could specify that change. I'll ask em.
    For $27,000 they ought to give you any clutch actuation setup you want along with a cheeseburger and a .... (never mind, family friendly site )

Jeff

18. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've ordered an engine from BPE before, great engine. But it amazes me how many folks pass on Mike Forte. He's builds quality stuff at a lower price than BPE. And he's faster on the builds. Anyway, just my .02 cents, yes I like Mike he's a great person and patriot but like I said when you pass on serveral thousands potential savings it always amazes me.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

20. Likes Geoff H, Mike.Bray, JeffP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptB View Post
    I've ordered an engine from BPE before, great engine. But it amazes me how many folks pass on Mike Forte. He's builds quality stuff at a lower price than BPE. And he's faster on the builds. Anyway, just my .02 cents, yes I like Mike he's a great person and patriot but like I said when you pass on serveral thousands potential savings it always amazes me.
    I'm so glad I went through Mike when I did. He had Gen IIIs last summer and had no problem getting one to me fully dressed for a great price.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivery 10/12/23
    Build Thread

22. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is a Gen 3. Thank you for the insight, everyone. Happy building.