FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: front power steering rack measurement

Post Thanks / Like

front power steering rack measurement

Quick question: the measurement to the center of the top of the outer tie rod end studs should be 53 1/16", yes? Is it supposed to be looking so "toed out" ?
    Thanks

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like the photo feature is not working for a couple of days. It should definitely be toe in. The picture on page 142 of the manual will get you close.

Are your steering arms that attach to the spindles pointing out? If pointing in, that would explain the toe out issue.
    Delivery October 2023, #10847, Gen 3, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat1asBEV&ICE View Post
    Seems like the photo feature is not working for a couple of days. It should definitely be toe in. The picture on page 142 of the manual will get you close.

Are your steering arms that attach to the spindles pointing out? If pointing in, that would explain the toe out issue.

Thanks. the steering arms are pointing out. I will try to post up some pics

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

5. Thanks Norm B thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the suspension is hanging you can't get an accurate measurement, it has to be loaded and at/near final ride height. I initially wondered if you had the steering arms angled inward also but you've answered that. That said, I've never seen this 53 1/16 reference but I haven't looked at the manual for years. For now just center the rack and eyeball it so that both point straight ahead with with equal amounts of thread showing on both sides.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    TommyK,
    I agree with Jeff that you can’t get an accurate setting with the suspension hanging. But, you should be able to get close so I’m curious. The posts I’ve read where people have toe out the builder can’t get the tie rod ends turned in far enough to achieve 53-1/16”, sometimes due to the inner tie rod being too long. Bummer, picture viewing still isn’t working. The measurement picture you’re referring to (p 143 manual Rev 5G) implies measuring from the center of the tie rod end joint, which on my tie rod ends was close enough to the zerk fitting for me to just measure zerk to zerk. What reference point are you measuring to/from?
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    If the suspension is hanging you can't get an accurate measurement, it has to be loaded and at/near final ride height. I initially wondered if you had the steering arms angled inward also but you've answered that. That said, I've never seen this 53 1/16 reference but I haven't looked at the manual for years. For now just center the rack and eyeball it so that both point straight ahead with with equal amounts of thread showing on both sides.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff!