FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Need a solution to secure the Halibrand knock-off hub from spinning

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Need a solution to secure the Halibrand knock-off hub from spinning

I've done a couple searches, but coming up empty.

I've been running 17" FFR Halibrands with the fake spinners. I had them silconed in and this worked well for 11+ years, but the silicone broke loose on the front wheel last night and I had a heck of a time removing it without damaging something. I was successful, but want to avoid that going forward.

I saw posts a while back (years ago) about drilling and installing set-screws(?). Guessing this involves drilling and tapping the hubs, but tightening the set screw looks like it's going to be challenge. 1 set-screw or 2 per hub? size?
    Details and/or alternatives would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Spinner 5.jpgSpinner 6.jpgSpinner 4.jpgSpinner 9.jpgSpinner 7.jpgSpinner 8.jpgI have an alternative for you. I just bought 18" Halibrands from FFR, and I'm not going to use my spinners or the hubs that come with them. They have a set screw to hold them in place. If they would fit your 17" wheels, I'm happy to make you a deal on them. Never been out of their boxes.

Spinner 3.jpgSpinner 2.jpgSpinner 1.jpg
    Last edited by gbranham; 04-27-2024 at 09:08 PM.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you on FB? I post a solution on factory five builder a couple months ago.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    SJDave made a set of these for me and they work great:

Last edited by Papa; 05-01-2024 at 08:23 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Thanks SJDave thanked for this post
    Likes BornWestUSA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put a big o-ring around the part that goes on the backside of the wheel and push that onto the wheel. Seems to be enough to hold it in place so I can tighten the spinner without anything moving. Michael Everson's solutions looks a bit more solid though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use silicone sealer. Put it around the inside of the wheel then push the hub in. Let it dry & you are good to go.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    WARNING to all of the guys using silcon, rtv, O-ring, and pool noodles. The primary solution with these methods is to hold the hub against the wheel, so you can start the spinner.
    The problem with these is they don't address the other problem, the hub spinning. I had my hubs siliconed to the wheels for over 11 years and worked great, until the silicon let loose. I had a bead all the way around the hubs and also use anti-sieze on them religously (I think this may have attributed to the problem). Yes, the anti-sieze prevented galling, but it also made the hub/spinner more difficut to turn.
    I think there needs to be some kind of mechanical solution (ie: pin drilled thru the hub and slightly into the wheel, then held in place with silicon, rtv, O-ring, or pool noodles.
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    My post is #16 on this thread....

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...uring-spinners
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have found a simple solution to the rotating wheel spinner hub. All you need is 4 spring pins (McMaster-Carr # 98296A891) and 4 internal retaining rings ( McMaster-Carr # 99142A630.
    Drill a 5/32 hole in the spinner retainer and install the spring pin. Then just drop it in the wheel and install the retaining ring with the pin in the opening. I couldn’t rotate the retainer once installed. Should be a cheap and simple fix. Let me know your thoughts.

11. Likes BornWestUSA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Mike's snap ring solution is a winner. I've seen someone on there who machines a ring option as well.
    Alternatively, you could drill a couple of holes in the end of the hub and use a tool like you get with an angle grinder to hold the hub in place while you knock off the spinner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    I think Mike's snap ring solution is a winner. I've seen someone on there who machines a ring option as well.
    Alternatively, you could drill a couple of holes in the end of the hub and use a tool like you get with an angle grinder to hold the hub in place while you knock off the spinner.
    The machined rings SJDave made for me are what I tried to post pictures of, but the site isn't displaying any of my embedded pics right now. The rings create a mechanical connection to both the inside of the wheel and the back side of the spinner hub.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post333828
    Last edited by Papa; 04-28-2024 at 06:53 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    WARNING to all of the guys using silcon, rtv, O-ring, and pool noodles. The primary solution with these methods is to hold the hub against the wheel, so you can start the spinner.
    The problem with these is they don't address the other problem, the hub spinning. I had my hubs siliconed to the wheels for over 11 years and worked great, until the silicon let loose. I had a bead all the way around the hubs and also use anti-sieze on them religously (I think this may have attributed to the problem). Yes, the anti-sieze prevented galling, but it also made the hub/spinner more difficut to turn.
    I think there needs to be some kind of mechanical solution (ie: pin drilled thru the hub and slightly into the wheel, then held in place with silicon, rtv, O-ring, or pool noodles.
    Have only been using it for 10 years but so far no issues getting the knock-off off. I do a fresh install any time I pull the wheel with a touch of anti seize. Think there are a number of solutions to the hub spinning so make the choice thats best for you.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-28-2024 at 11:53 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have SJDave's machined rings and they're brilliant. They're a great way to positively hold the spinner hub in place without having to drill and tap the wheel. Other solutions like silicone and pool noodles may work for a while... until they don't.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

16. Thanks SJDave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use anti-seize on the threads. Although it prevents the hub and spinner from seizing together the combination of the thick anti seize and the dust & dirt that sticks to it causes enough resistance between the two to often result in the hub spinning making removal difficult. Instead of anti seize I use a dry graphite spray. The parts spin together and disassemble with minimal resistance without galling.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oh, one other thing...do away with the setscrews in the spinners. Even with their plastic tips they can deform the threads on the hub which makes it difficult to unscrew them. If you put the spinners on the correct sides...LH thread on the right side of the car and RH threads on the left side...the wheels forward rotation naturally keeps them tight. To clarify, the spinner boxes are labeled "RH" and "LH" that does NOT refer to the side of the car that they go on, it indicates right hand thread and left hand thread. Probably 50% of the cars that I get in here have them wrong.

Jeff

18. Thanks SuperFlyBriBri thanked for this post
    Likes BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I don't use anti-seize on the threads. Although it prevents the hub and spinner from seizing together the combination of the thick anti seize and the dust & dirt that sticks to it causes enough resistance between the two to often result in the hub spinning making removal difficult. Instead of anti seize I use a dry graphite spray. The parts spin together and disassemble with minimal resistance without galling.

Oh, one other thing...do away with the setscrews in the spinners. Even with their plastic tips they can deform the threads on the hub which makes it difficult to unscrew them. If you put the spinners on the correct sides...LH thread on the right side of the car and RH threads on the left side...the wheels forward rotation naturally keeps them tight. To clarify, the spinner boxes are labeled "RH" and "LH" that does NOT refer to the side of the car that they go on, it indicates right hand thread and left hand thread. Probably 50% of the cars that I get in here have them wrong.

Jeff
    Good info on the graphite spray. Will try that next time.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    PM me if you want a set, $85 + shipping. Probably make 10 sets, 3 are spoken for. 4 weeks to ship due to Cataract Surgery
    Mk 3.1 #6616 Complete Kit, July 2008 Start, Gromm Racing 347, TKO 500, IRS, Carmine Red / Wimbleton White
    Mk 3.1 #6756 Complete Kit, May 2016 kit completion, Smeding Alum. 427 Stack Injection, TKO600, Custom Silver/Blue (SOLD)

21. Thanks BornWestUSA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    Spinner 5.jpgSpinner 6.jpgSpinner 4.jpgSpinner 9.jpgSpinner 7.jpgSpinner 8.jpgI have an alternative for you. I just bought 18" Halibrands from FFR, and I'm not going to use my spinners or the hubs that come with them. They have a set screw to hold them in place. If they would fit your 17" wheels, I'm happy to make you a deal on them. Never been out of their boxes.

Spinner 3.jpgSpinner 2.jpgSpinner 1.jpg
    Aae you going to use the lug nut covers?
    New to me FFR MK3 Cobra 4300RD - '94 5.0 Drivetrain - 4-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    Aae you going to use the lug nut covers?
    I am not. It's all available if someone is interested!
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    I am not. It's all available if someone is interested!
    Would you be willing to sell them separately? If so, I will take them!
    New to me FFR MK3 Cobra 4300RD - '94 5.0 Drivetrain - 4-link

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    I may have found a simple solution to the rotating wheel spinner hub. All you need is 4 spring pins (McMaster-Carr # 98296A891) and 4 internal retaining rings ( McMaster-Carr # 99142A630.
    Drill a 5/32 hole in the spinner retainer and install the spring pin. Then just drop it in the wheel and install the retaining ring with the pin in the opening. I couldn’t rotate the retainer once installed. Should be a cheap and simple fix. Let me know your thoughts.
    Replaced ten year old tires yesterday so gave this a shot. Cleaned off all the old silicone, neversieze and used a little dry lube. Assembled very easily but I will let you know in ten years how they come off. Thanks Mike…………again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    Would you be willing to sell them separately? If so, I will take them!
    You bet. Send me a PM and we'll make it happen!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    So does this mean when I tighten the spinners on my car they should spin to the back of the car to tighten?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Build14fun View Post
    So does this mean when I tighten the spinners on my car they should spin to the back of the car to tighten?
    yup. I just remember "tight a$$", so turning towards the rear should tighten the spinners.
    theoretically they should not loosen while driving forward when installed this way.
    Last edited by egchewy79; 05-08-2024 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! I just go hand tight plus a tap with a plastic mallet.

Jeff

30. Likes Build14fun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Jeff said YES. You want the natural force of the wheel running forward to keep pressure on the spinner. If they are put on the other way tight forward the wheel rotation is unloading some pressure.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Hey @Michael, I ordered the spring pins and snap rings and will be installing these this weekend. Do have a question: is there any reason I counldn't drill the spring pin holes in the hubs and drill a similar/aligned hole into the back of the wheel? (maybe step the hole up 1 or 2 drill bit size so the pin drops in?

Also @Jeff, I cleaned the anti-sieze off the hub & wheel threads (what a pain) and bought the spray graphite. That stuff works great! BUT WHAT A MESS!!!! I think it's actually worse that anti-seize.