FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: New Guy w/ Question!

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Guy w/ Question!

So looks like I'll be heading to FL to pick up a GTM mid May. I'm thinking about trailer it back to GA on a U-Haul low profile and was wondering if anyone had any experience using a U-haul to move a GTM. I also may drive it but in case I like to have a back up plan. Look forward to browsing the forums and learning what I can! Cheers!!

Also when it comes to build numbers do these run consecutive since release or these reset yearly?
    Last edited by GTM_Vet; 04-29-2024 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added another question

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTM_Vet View Post
    So looks like I'll be heading to FL to pick up a GTM mid May. I'm thinking about trailer it back to GA on a U-Haul low profile and was wondering if anyone had any experience using a U-haul to move a GTM. I also may drive it but in case I like to have a back up plan. Look forward to browsing the forums and learning what I can! Cheers!!

Also when it comes to build numbers do these run consecutive since release or these reset yearly?
    Welcome to the site! I also picked my GTM up recently, but mine is unfinished. I'm in FL also. I've never used a U haul with a GTM, but having used U haul trailers in the past, I don't feel it's a good idea with a car as low as a GTM. Especially with the wheel strap setup on the U haul trailers.

The numbers run consecutive. Mine is #30, 2006 manufacture. FFR told me there were "about 540" GTMs sold, production ending in 2022 I believe.
    Sal Mennella
    Unfinished GTM #30 FFR - in progress!
    Roadster 5132 - sold

3. Likes GTM_Vet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Yea I was kind of thinking same in regards to the U-Haul I was thinking width was going to be issue along with how low it is. I'm ok with driving it but seller was offering some advice against that its 300 miles +/- from where I will be and back to my house and he really advised a trailer. Build number I'm getting is 502 built 2019. I'm pretty excited to get the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's an open trailer, don't back it on to the trailer, towing it with the rear of the car forward. One of our forum members learned the hard way, after trailering it home after bodywork and paint. The rear deck latch was tested. It was a really bad scene.
    Last edited by gbranham; 04-29-2024 at 04:49 PM.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

6. Likes GTM_Vet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    If it's an open trailer, don't back it on to the trailer, towing it with the rear of the car forward. One of our forum members learned the hard way, after trailering it home after bodywork and paint. The rear deck latch was tested. It was a really bad scene.
    Noted Sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I have had a customer pick up his GTM with a U-Haul trailer. It's do-able, but not great. You can't pull the car all the way to the front of the trailer because the "wheel stops" at the leading edge are too tall and the nose won't clear. Also, once you get the car on the trailer, you can't open the door to get out of the car because the trailer fender is in the way. We got it done....but again....not ideal.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

9. Likes GTM_Vet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check on craigslist or some other form of online classifieds, you can usually find enclosed trailer rentals at reasonable prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, if its 502 than that makes me feel really slow. Mine is 503 and just sent to Shane after many years getting the a go cart LOL.

12. Likes GTM_Vet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Damn, if its 502 than that makes me feel really slow. Mine is 503 and just sent to Shane after many years getting the a go cart LOL.
    I'll make you feel better....mine is #30 and unfinished lol.
    Sal Mennella
    Unfinished GTM #30 FFR - in progress!
    Roadster 5132 - sold

14. Thanks Shoeless thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have the owner crank up the coil overs to the maximal right height before you get there
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

16. Likes GTM_Vet, VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Welcome! I have had a customer pick up his GTM with a U-Haul trailer. It's do-able, but not great. You can't pull the car all the way to the front of the trailer because the "wheel stops" at the leading edge are too tall and the nose won't clear. Also, once you get the car on the trailer, you can't open the door to get out of the car because the trailer fender is in the way. We got it done....but again....not ideal.
    Shane was thinking same! Heard the trick to remove fenders with impact tool and also back the car onto trailer but as noted above that isn't good idea with the wind catching the hatch cover. I'm leaning more towards the 300 mile drive home unless I find a friend that has a trailer that can be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    GTM6.jpg

This is the one Im getting.

19. Likes Shoeless, beeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shane was thinking same! Heard the trick to remove fenders with impact tool and also back the car onto trailer but as noted above that isn't good idea with the wind catching the hatch cover. I'm leaning more towards the 300 mile drive home unless I find a friend that has a trailer that can be used.
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/t...739035057.html

21. Likes GTM_Vet, VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice but thats 6 hours away.. I'll see if I can fins similar closer to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice but thats 6 hours away.. I'll see if I can fins similar closer to me
    Didn't know where in Georgia you were. Most cities have those type rentals available.

24. Likes GTM_Vet liked this post