FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Question does Roadster fuel tank have baffles??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question does Roadster fuel tank have baffles??

We'll in finally driving my MK4, at least for a 500 mile shakedown before paint. I ran across a odd situation. I was changing highways on an overpass, while I was 3/4 of the way up the long right hand curve leading to the top of the overpass the car sputtered and stalled, then refired when it slowed, I'm thinking the fuel in the tank sloshed over to the PS and the pump ran dry.. I initially though I didn't have enough fuel in it but it did it again with a 1/4 full tank. It hasn't sputtered at any other time than the long right had turn. My initial startup in the garage had maybe 1/16 of a tank so I'm thinking the pump pickup is low enough, I'm sure one of the experienced guys will know if the fuel tanks are baffled if someone has run into this before?? Can't drive the car only making left hand turns... I'm looking for some insight here before digging deeper.
    Thanks in advance for the input.

Jeff J.
    2022 MKIV BP347, SniperEFI, IRS. Delivered June 22, Engine install Jan 23, first start May 23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really a baffle per se but there is an approximately 3” high by 8” to 10” square “box” around the pickup that is supposed to help contain fuel around the pickup when it sloshes. It has openings at the bottom so that fuel can move in or out slowly however if you’re running low it’s not going to be containing much so I could see the pickup becoming uncovered.

Jeff

3. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Likes StangRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    1/16 full I could understand the pickup getting uncovered. 1/4 full not so much. But still possible as Jeff described. I've used those tanks in multiple builds and haven't had an issue for street driving. I typically always fill back up when the gauge is at 1/4 full. Maybe that's all you need to do.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info / input guys. I haven't had the problem other then on the corner which makes me wonder about the pickup. In for alignment tomorrow and a little more shakedown before the body comes off for what I hope will be the last time, I may take the opportunity to measure the depth of the tank vs the pickup just to be sure I'm all the way there..
    J.
    2022 MKIV BP347, SniperEFI, IRS. Delivered June 22, Engine install Jan 23, first start May 23.

Post Thanks / Like
    On my gauge and others that I know, 1/4 means almost empty. I can literally see the gauge moving.

8. Likes Jeff_J. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    On my gauge and others that I know, 1/4 means almost empty. I can literally see the gauge moving.
    Man oh man, aint that the truth. That last 1/4 on the fuel gauge starts acting like the speedo or tach.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the factory Mustang fuel tank in my 94 GT CMC race car and never had any issues with fuel sloshing away from the pickup. Many in CMC use the factory tank and I don't recall anyone else having the issue either... some Sunday races would be 45 minutes and would be down to around a 1/4 tank by the end of the race... Some did have the baffle in the tank break loose which would result in the symptom you describe. It may be worth checking...

11. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My baffle broke loss in the stock donor Mustang tank I used. Caused some sloshing issues.
    I purchased and installed a new one.
    MKII donor build using 1990 LX. 5.0, EFI, 5sp. 3 Link, 3.55 gears and other upgrades added over the years. On the road since 2003.

13. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pick up is on the right hand side of the tank, so in a long sweeping right hand turn the fuel will slosh to that side. If you pull the pick up out of the tank, shine a flashlight inside to look at the baffling that surrounds the fuel pick up.

15. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by runamuk View Post
    The pick up is on the right hand side of the tank, so in a long sweeping right hand turn the fuel will slosh to that side. If you pull the pick up out of the tank, shine a flashlight inside to look at the baffling that surrounds the fuel pick up.
    Actually it will move to left side of the tank, not the right
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

17. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely take a look at it. Just surmising here but who knows who makes the current tank and whether it is made to original specs or not? I could see that, in the constant striving for low prices, that baffle being left out.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

19. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I would definitely take a look at it. Just surmising here but who knows who makes the current tank and whether it is made to original specs or not? I could see that, in the constant striving for low prices, that baffle being left out.
    Bought my tank from eBay, the “box” was still in there. In fact most should know because it makes installing the pump more of a challenge.

21. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using an Aeromotive Stealth, in tank pump and hangar/pickup so I'm kinda off on my own here. I'll measure the depth of the tank against the length of the pickup at some point just to know what's going on.
    J.

Post Thanks / Like
    I Had the same exact problem and what cured it was reseating the fuel pump in the tank. I think mine might have been slightly angled and not sitting exactly flush with the tank. It was also recommended to get a Holley Hyrdramat which I did but never installed it.
    MKIV, Coyote Gen3, TKO 500

24. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the baffel / box does brake loose you will get metal particles introduced in your fuel lines. My fuel filter would collect them and when they built up enough it would starve the carb for fuel. It took me a while to find the root cause - the baffel sliding around inside the tank. I discovered that fact when I jacked one side of the car and heard it slide inside the tank. Replaced the tank, both fuel filters, and thoroughly flushed the lines - problem solved.
    MkII: 408 Dart block dry sump, 750cfm carb, G-Force T-5, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears, 3-link, Kirkey seats, black ceramic coated twister mufflers with shields and adjustable turn down tips, passenger roll bar, front and rear roll bars. 2020 GT500 Magnetic metallic, with white and lime green stripes.

26. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_J. View Post
    We'll in finally driving my MK4, at least for a 500 mile shakedown before paint. I ran across a odd situation. I was changing highways on an overpass, while I was 3/4 of the way up the long right hand curve leading to the top of the overpass the car sputtered and stalled, then refired when it slowed, I'm thinking the fuel in the tank sloshed over to the PS and the pump ran dry.. I initially though I didn't have enough fuel in it but it did it again with a 1/4 full tank. It hasn't sputtered at any other time than the long right had turn. My initial startup in the garage had maybe 1/16 of a tank so I'm thinking the pump pickup is low enough, I'm sure one of the experienced guys will know if the fuel tanks are baffled if someone has run into this before?? Can't drive the car only making left hand turns... I'm looking for some insight here before digging deeper.
    Thanks in advance for the input.

Jeff J.
    Well this is a bit concerning for my aspirations of hitting up Road America once my car is complete. The carousel might be interesting.

I guess keep plenty of fuel in the car is the obvious solution there.
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    BrewCity, you'll be fine at RA, just top off the tank after each 20 min session. I would run a little less than a gallon per lap (4 mile track) and about 8 laps per session.
    MkII: 408 Dart block dry sump, 750cfm carb, G-Force T-5, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears, 3-link, Kirkey seats, black ceramic coated twister mufflers with shields and adjustable turn down tips, passenger roll bar, front and rear roll bars. 2020 GT500 Magnetic metallic, with white and lime green stripes.

29. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Likes BrewCityCobra liked this post