Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 coyote lumpy idle

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 coyote lumpy idle

A question for the tuners... the gen 3 idles way too smoothly to be suitable for a cobra or type 65. Would it be possible to dial in a bunch of overlap below 1000rpm and idle TPS to make it
    sound like it had wild race cams... proper race-car noise?
    Just a thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a google search on coyote ghost cam tune. It can be done. it doesn't sound very authentic, IMO, and runs super-rich at idle so you definitely don't want to do it if you have catalytic converters or it will destroy them.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 7ish View Post
    ...the gen 3 idles way too smoothly to be suitable for a cobra or type 65...
    Of course a matter of opinion. After a couple small block builds with big cams, that were noisy and lumpy, I'm liking the more friendly Coyote builds. With Lund Racing tunes. But they and other tuners know about ghost tunes as JohnK mentioned. Lots of YouTubes out there you can listen to FWIW. Some question about how good it is for the engine.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been thinking about the same thing. I basically want a map selector toggle switch, similar to some dirtbikes and motor cycles, to switch between a normal tune map and a ghost cam map. I’ve been in contact with Lund racing and PCMTec exploring the options but it seems that at this point, in order to make the map switch, you need to use the mustang factory cruise control switch gear, and they don’t have any other solutions at this time, as it would require CAN bus changes. I did some basic CAN bus work in college 20years ago, but not too keen to try to break into the Coyote PCM. My hope is that there’s an increased demand for it so Lund/PCMTec or other professionals figure out a solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this guy who is a pretty well known Coyote tuner. Here are his thoughts on the subject (language is a little salty so NSFW or the kids)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsz6T3Q7vgA

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that youtube was the best explanation of it so far. I'd love to have that guy tune my coyote.
    Mark IV Gen 3 Coyote
    Started 7/22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video... thanks for the post.

Exactly what I was after.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a ghost tune as a backup in my tuner from Sean at AED, we put it on before I left his shop, it sounds pretty gnarly, BUT it's 'very lumpy' e.g. it's definitely like a muscle car and will take some time to learn driving style

I put back to 'regular' to get more used to driving the car, the ghost tune is cool, but maybe not for everyone
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a great example of what a Coyote "can" sound like with the right exhaust and tune. Plus, the car just looks fantastic in my opinion.

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread