BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: What am I doing wrong? Coyote intake

Post Thanks / Like

What am I doing wrong? Coyote intake

Do I have the wrong aluminum part that the sensor attaches to?
    IMG_2404.jpg
    Delivery October 2023, #10847, Gen 3, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Rotate the rubber elbow connected to the throttle body....rotate clockwise as viewed from the front of the car from 3 o-clock to, say, 5 o-clock, or just before it hits your steering shaft. Also, you can push the aluminum tube with the MAF on it deeper into the air filter to give yourself more room to work.

Look at page 71 of the Coyote Installation Manual, Rev 1i. Also, page 95 shows the air filter butted up against the welds on the MAF tube...you have two inches or more to gain there if you push it deeper into the air filter.
    Last edited by gbranham; 05-07-2024 at 01:31 PM.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Points left and downward. Looks like you just have it left. It's a tight fit, much tighter than it looks in pictures. Everything with the coyote is a tough fit though.
    Mark IV Gen 3 Coyote
    Started 7/22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, gents. I pushed the air filter and elbow pieces all the way up against the sensor and change of angle. That solved it. Quite floppy though, guess that can’t be avoided.

Happy building.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about to get to this point on my Coyote build. Can you post a pic of the finished install for reference?
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go. It's the only position where it doesn't hit something. I still need to tighten the hose clamp in the photo.

7. Likes dbo_texas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This may be a bit picky, but could you rotate the MAF sensor connection a bit to the front? It should be horizontal on the "front" side of the tubing. I can't explain it as well as others might, but I believe that the exact location of that sensor makes a difference as far as the PCM is concerned.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, though I did rotate it towards the engine. At least that's what the manual says to do "Adjust the Mass air meter so that the mass air plug is on the side close to the engine as the Ford Performance instructions recommend."

So what's the right answer?

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to recall reading here on the forum that the orientation of the MAF sensor was different on Gen2 vs Gen3 Coyotes. I'm sure someone will chime in. Looking at some Gen2 builds, the MAF sensor is indeed rotated toward the front of the car. On a few Gen3 builds here on the forum, I see it rotated back toward the engine.

Start reading at post #70 in this thread: Junbug's Colorado Mk IV Coyote/TKX Build Thread: First Go-Cart! - Page 2 (thefactoryfiveforum.com)
    Last edited by gbranham; 05-07-2024 at 07:41 PM.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    I seem to recall reading here on the forum that the orientation of the MAF sensor was different on Gen2 vs Gen3 Coyotes. I'm sure someone will chime in. Looking at some Gen2 builds, the MAF sensor is indeed rotated toward the front of the car. On a few Gen3 builds here on the forum, I see it rotated back toward the engine.

Start reading at post #70 in this thread: Junbug's Colorado Mk IV Coyote/TKX Build Thread: First Go-Cart! - Page 2 (thefactoryfiveforum.com)
    Possibly a good catch! Mine is a Gen II, so that's my framework. I'll defer to the Gen III guys.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll leave it rotated towards the engine. Easy enough to rotate away if it's not running right after the tune.

Post Thanks / Like
    The more I stare at that rubber elbow piece the more I hate it. Any alternatives?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    This may be a bit picky, but could you rotate the MAF sensor connection a bit to the front? It should be horizontal on the "front" side of the tubing. I can't explain it as well as others might, but I believe that the exact location of that sensor makes a difference as far as the PCM is concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat1asBEV&ICE View Post
    Thank you, though I did rotate it towards the engine. At least that's what the manual says to do "Adjust the Mass air meter so that the mass air plug is on the side close to the engine as the Ford Performance instructions recommend."
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat1asBEV&ICE View Post
    I'll leave it rotated towards the engine. Easy enough to rotate away if it's not running right after the tune.
    For MAF sensors, the general recommendation is that they should be located to provide the straightest airway possible on both sides. For our compact installations, that typically means toward the front as has been mentioned. So that it's on the longest and straightest section of the CAI. Gen 2 or Gen 3 or whatever doesn't matter. I can't say how much difference there would be from your current location to one more toward the front. According to Lund Racing, who have done several tunes for me, getting the MAF calibration correct is one of the critical aspects of the Coyote custom tune. The base Ford calibration is based on the stock cold air intake, which is obviously very different from what we are able to install. But wherever you end up, I would recommend to not move it after the custom tune.

In my Coupe with a Gen 3 Coyote, I have a Treadstone Performance assembly made up of: S35090BLK 90 Degree Silicone Hose Coupler 3.50" - 3.50", ACCH35 HoneyComb MAF Mass Air Meter Airflow Straightener - 3.5", MAPHL35 MAF Mass Air Flow Adapter Pipe 3.5, and a AF10044BLK Stealth Black Air Filter, Medium - 3.5" Neck." I can't say the 90 degree coupler is any better looking than the one you have. Plus you have to add the PCV connection since it's not molded in like yours. But FWIW. Note where the MAF is oriented. Runs perfectly.

Last edited by edwardb; 05-08-2024 at 05:52 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's never as easy at it seems. Thank you, Paul. I'll check with the tuner and get his opinion (he does tunes for Mike Everson).

Post Thanks / Like
    What tuner are you using? I did lund just to get to a running go cart. Had to tune to start because I added a cobra jet intake, gt500 throttle body, and other do dads. Not overly impressed with lund, and thought was to get it on a dyno and have it tuned that way once I'm ready to roll. I'm in MA as well, and couldn't find a local tuner to touch anything that wasn't from a dealership. But, that was a year ago, so maybe the covid business has slowed.

Thanks
    Mark IV Gen 3 Coyote
    Started 7/22.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you should call/email Mike Everson. I am not positive if his tuner can handle your specific build. My Gen 3 will be stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought. This is the standard MAP position for the Gen1 so will not go into that for Gen 2/3. Was curious can't you lose the the PVC system from the later generations?

Would make the whole installation a lot cleaner.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with Mike Everson. For the engine tune to work best he also recommends for the MAF sensor to be rotated so it is aiming towards the front of the car.