BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: part upgrades

Post Thanks / Like

part upgrades

I heard that the power windows have been upgraded or switched. What other parts are seeing changes and upgrades. would like to know and perhaps have the option to upgrade if I haven't installed already. My power windows are still in box until I finish modifying the hard top to work with roadster windshield. I want my hard top to be easily removed and not have to keep swapping windshields and risk damaging paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are numerous common upgrades

Brakes
    Hyd clutch
    Grille repair
    Trans tunnel contour
    Trunk hinge arms
    Gauges
    Upper ball joint boots
    Hardware for steering arms
    Fuel lines
    Brake fluid reservoir
    Steering wheel
    Radiator overflow tank
    Battery mounting parts and location
    Fuel tank vent
    FUEL TANK replacement - for higher quality or different configuration
    Fuel filler
    Roll bar configuration
    Rear exhaust
    E-brake handle and location

other than that all is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe he is referring to running changes in product supplied in the kit by FFR. Those changes/upgrades/improvements that are made over time...

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
    I believe he is referring to running changes in product supplied in the kit by FFR. Those changes/upgrades/improvements that are made over time...

Mark
    Perhaps but I have #037 and have only received 3 upgraded parts. They were steering arm bolts, radiator supports, and the steering shafts/universals. Nothing else was an upgrade. The steering arm bolts were actually a recall and I never received the correct parts. My car is not ready to drive so I guess we will just buy some locally along with the one-time use hub nuts. I'm pulling the front apart tonight anyway to install some better boots on the upper ball joints.

They do have the tilt column that would be nice but Killer already has a car so he either has it or not.

The soft top is not really an upgrade and is very expensive. I'm not saying it's overpriced because it seems to be about the same as other aftermarket tops. I want one but $3K is a big hit for a top when I already have the coupe top.

edit
    I also remember an early change in roll bar configuration. Mine is an old chassis and would have required cutting and welding to fit the current single hoop. I was going to make my own but might use the dual hoops now that I know they fit. I was hoping FF would make at least enough of the original single bars for the early cars, nope. It's not a big deal to make one Jim Copland made his own and it looks better than most.
    Last edited by geoffav; 02-17-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    correct, I was referring to parts FFR has changed out, items they have changed supplier on or fixed. Rumbles posted the change in power windows.

Director of Engineering, FFR Jesper Ingerslev's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    With all of our cars, we are always making small tweeks here and there to improve them or we have made changes due to vendor supply problems. Minor changes that have taken affect already in the Hot Rod are the power windows mechansim for the Hard Top, the emergency brake handle, trunk hinge arm radius, steering arm and control arm bolts, bolt pattern clocking for the electric power steering mounting, Dual to single rollbar, headlight bucket mounting gasket, fuel tank vent, upper balljoint boot, felt pads for the hood, under dash light. Other optional parts that have been added are the floor mats, rear exit exhaust and wheels. We have also done many revisions to the assembly manual. Our current revision level is 1L The revision level of your manual can either be found on the bottom of the front cover on the more recent ones or on the bottom of the "Statement of Non-Liability" page. The first manual (1A) was 278 pages long while the current one is 508 pages. We never stop trying to improve our cars and make them easier to build.
    Jesper Ingerslev
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper @ FFR View Post
    With all of our cars, we are always making small tweeks here and there to improve them or we have made changes due to vendor supply problems. Minor changes that have taken affect already in the Hot Rod are the power windows mechansim for the Hard Top, the emergency brake handle, trunk hinge arm radius, steering arm and control arm bolts, bolt pattern clocking for the electric power steering mounting, Dual to single rollbar, headlight bucket mounting gasket, fuel tank vent, upper balljoint boot, felt pads for the hood, under dash light. Other optional parts that have been added are the floor mats, rear exit exhaust and wheels. We have also done many revisions to the assembly manual. Our current revision level is 1L The revision level of your manual can either be found on the bottom of the front cover on the more recent ones or on the bottom of the "Statement of Non-Liability" page. The first manual (1A) was 278 pages long while the current one is 508 pages. We never stop trying to improve our cars and make them easier to build.
    Thanks for the info. It's good to know refinements are being incorporated in the new cars.

I've already purchased or made a tank vent, fuel filler hose, upper ball joint boots, rear exit exhaust, car cover, and floor mats. I'm either going to use the DS bar only or make my own single to fit the mounts from back in the day. It would be nice to have trunk arms that are correct and to get the new steering arm bolts. I installed the "too short" black socket heads and forgot to change them out before putting the hubs on. Well it wouldn't matter because the replacements I received and would have installed are the silver socket heads from the recall. I never received anything else.

I didn't know the control arm bolts required replacement. What is the correct hardware? I'm working out of Assembly Manual 1i so I don't have the correct info.

Is there a method to keep the Owner/Builders up to date reference the Assembly Manual? Perhaps access to the latest pdf to reduce the cost of hardcopy updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Geoff,
    All of the button head fasteners in the front suspension were replaced. We sent them to all of our customers. You can either e-mail me your mailing info so I can double check it (it sounds like we have the wrong info if you did not recieve them) or call and tell the tech guys that you need the replacement fasteners.

We are working on a process for including kit owners in the manual updates
    Jesper Ingerslev
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Geoff,
    All of the button head fasteners in the front suspension were replaced. We sent them to all of our customers. You can either e-mail me your mailing info so I can double check it (it sounds like we have the wrong info if you did not recieve them) or call and tell the tech guys that you need the replacement fasteners.

Thanks, I will get you the info. I understand the manual update process is harder than it sounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Geoff,

PM sent, I don't have your email and didn't want to send it to tech @

Let me know if you need more info. There have been some address issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, so as one of the earlier kit owners how do I get these adds such as felt pads, under dash light.... i have already spent additional money for better fuel tank vent, replaced the bolts on front suspension. I know it is a point in time purchase, but it would be nice to have the option of getting new parts included in kit for current buyers,I am not opposed to buying them but would like to see them offered at discount. Just like the roadster kit or even more so the hot rod can be tailored to builders taste and parts added and ommitted to fit theme. I also know this site is a new venture but would like to see perhaps more details on the changes in the kit. I know I am currently debating or replacing fuel tank. I have serious concerns about the sending unit leaking. I have the rear exit exhaust and have concerns about a leak dripping on exhaust and sending my car up in flames.

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody PM me an email address for Jesper. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stang_killer View Post
    ok, so as one of the earlier kit owners how do I get these adds such as felt pads, under dash light.... i have already spent additional money for better fuel tank vent, replaced the bolts on front suspension. I know it is a point in time purchase, but it would be nice to have the option of getting new parts included in kit for current buyers,I am not opposed to buying them but would like to see them offered at discount. Just like the roadster kit or even more so the hot rod can be tailored to builders taste and parts added and ommitted to fit theme. I also know this site is a new venture but would like to see perhaps more details on the changes in the kit. I know I am currently debating or replacing fuel tank. I have serious concerns about the sending unit leaking. I have the rear exit exhaust and have concerns about a leak dripping on exhaust and sending my car up in flames.
    I agree we should receive the parts that didn't work well, at all, or were recalled. As you state, many of the new parts are clearly enhancements and we should be given a chance to purchase those. Just as an example I wouldn't expect FFR to send me one of the current overflow tanks. True the new one is much nicer but as you say we received the correct item for our time of purchase. Actually, I have the new window parts but that has more to do with when my BO list was filled.

I understand your point on the fuel tank too. The only thing that sealed mine was using "Seal All" on both of the o-ring flanges. I also purchased new O rings that are round but forgot I had them and used the included square rings instead. I may redo the pick-up and sender just to get the better seals installed.

I might velcro the body on for that day when I finally have to replace that tank. Haahaa

Post Thanks / Like
    We have also done many revisions to the assembly manual. Our current revision level is 1L The revision level of your manual can either be found on the bottom of the front cover on the more recent ones or on the bottom of the "Statement of Non-Liability" page. The first manual (1A) was 278 pages long while the current one is 508 pages. We never stop trying to improve our cars and make them easier to build.
    Jesper, thanks for the information. I have HR #209 and the manual version is 1i with 415 pages. What is the process for obtaining the revisions? I understand there is an electronic version. How can I access that version?
    Tim
    HR #209
    Delivered 11 May 2010
    http:/tims33.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. I guess I'll send an email to tech. I usually don't have much luck unless I send info direct to the contact person. We will see.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not understand everyones problem with the fuel tank sender/pickup openings? That fitting has been in use on Mustangs clear back to 1965, so it was probably on Falcons too. I have removed and replaced the ones on over 20 vehicles without one ever leaking or getting damaged. Not a rant, just a question.
    Doug

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    I do not understand everyones problem with the fuel tank sender/pickup openings? That fitting has been in use on Mustangs clear back to 1965, so it was probably on Falcons too. I have removed and replaced the ones on over 20 vehicles without one ever leaking or getting damaged. Not a rant, just a question.
    Doug
    I know what you mean, the Mustang sender is located on te BOTTOM of the tank even. I think it has something to do with the reproduction parts available today and even the bung on the tank. I bought all new reproduction tank and hardware for my '70 mustang and it took a couple tries to get it to seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    No word from FF yet. If nobody else quits at work I'm taking Friday off and should be able to call during business hours. I don't understand why it's so hard to answer an email?????

They normally take care of things over the phone so all is well.

Anybody have the specs for the replacement hardware for all the front end socket heads? I may just order them from work tomorrow, if I find out I'm stuck working Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Any Word?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffav View Post
    No word from FF yet. If nobody else quits at work I'm taking Friday off and should be able to call during business hours. I don't understand why it's so hard to answer an email?????
    Any response to your email to FFR? Hopefully Dave Smith's comment on another thread will break things loose. I'm still hoping that Jesper responds to my question earlier in this thread.
    Tim
    HR #209
    Delivered 11 May 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timdks View Post
    Any response to your email to FFR? Hopefully Dave Smith's comment on another thread will break things loose. I'm still hoping that Jesper responds to my question earlier in this thread.
    No.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I sent Jesper to San Diego Friday to close up some issues with Mendeola on our new Transmissions so he has been out. One of the biggest things is to get the owners on an email update list for assembly manual changes as we do these big and small all the time. The only Recall-worthy item was the fasteners on the steering arms which were sent to all and a tech post was made. As far as tech and changes to the design, if it's a fastener changing length, a new or different supplier, or whatever, it has been almost impossible to communicate changes individually as they go into effect. Still, many companies (especially in the kit car world ugh) throw out their products and leave it alone for years, leaving folks to deal with inevitable issues that any and all cars will have (they only differ in degrees). One of the HALLMARKS of our company has been continuous improvement. Over the years we have really actually done a great kob of offering updated parts at cost to existing customers. I could list 100 examples as the C-car replica evolved thru Mk1, 2, 3, 3.1, and now Mk4 versions. The Hot Rod is fairly new and I think we can do a better job. Now we need to try and communicate and perhaps use electronic medium to keep everyone updated as best as possible.

DAve Smith
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 03-06-2011 at 06:06 AM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply Dave. I really think electronic updates are a great option. A simple thing like using Outlook distribution lists saves me tons of time. The manual has evolved well. When I think about the first one I saw with car #011 and how it looks now, that's progress.

I think even great organizations could use improvement and while I know a call to FF results in solutions, this week I didn't have the phone option during business hours. I just never get a response when I communicate using the Tech @ youguys email. For whatever reason I didn't receive the recall hardware and I'm trying to work that out. I sent Jesper a PM and emailed the tech @ address the info they requested. Actually, I think Jesper already figured out the problem in a post above.

You guys are great communicators here, on the phone, and email to individuals. The Tech@ and custserv@ (to a lesser degree) addresses don't work that well. Most companies I deal with would love to have "issues" like this to improve on. My confidence in FFR doing the right thing and supporting the customer is solid. I just need a no phone option that works better. I also support your mission statement for this site and think the "all sites have a place" philosophy will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,
    I'm trying to get the automaticly being added to the update list sorted out at this end. I would think it were easy but our software here doesn't like to talk to each other much. If you guys want, pm me your name and e-mail and I will get it added to the update list. This will only get you new changes not a whole manual. I am working on that as well but it will take longer. Mad Dog has been swamped doing this forum as well as our site and facebook etc...
    Jesper Ingerslev
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,
    I'm trying to get the automatically being added to the update list sorted out at this end. I would think it were easy but our software here doesn't like to talk to each other much. If you guys want, pm me your name and e-mail and I will get it added to the update list. This will only get you new changes not a whole manual. I am working on that as well but it will take longer. Mad Dog has been swamped doing this forum as well as our site and facebook etc...
    Thanks Jesper. I talked with Andy about this this afternoon, and also sent you a PM on the subject. Appreciate your help.
    Tim
    HR #209
    Delivered 11 May 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got an email for parts being shipped, recall bolts. Thanks, that will be a big help because my schedule is still too messed up to source them locally. I'll still have to get new hub nuts which may not be that easy. I'd like to get the front end reassembled before I have some medical procedures done, I might be unable for a week or so afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

33 Rear Exhaust

Jesper, how do I get some specs/prices on the rear exhaust for the 33? Have you guys done a "below the chassis front of rear wheel" exhaust?

Post Thanks / Like
    Patriot,

The rear exhaust is in the on-line FFR HR catalog.

https://factoryfiveparts.com/product...cat=312&page=1

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Case and point - Ebrake
    The kits appear to be now shipping with a different E-brake that looks much nicer than the Mustang unit I recieved. I would love to trade it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Careful about the new ebrake. It may look nicer but it has no means of adjustment. The one i saw at the build school had a ratcheting type make up to take the slack out of the cable. With the new one, as the brakes wear you have to get under the car disconnect the cables, screw the stud further in and reassmble the whole thing. I seriously considered adding turnbuckles into each cable but decided against it to save some money. There is aslo an issue that some are having with interference with the bracket on the frame (see the other forum for details.)