Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Photo of driver foot box vs 302 engine for clearance.

Post Thanks / Like

Photo of driver foot box vs 302 engine for clearance.

If possible I could use a photo or two of a 302 in the car and how close it sits to the drivers side footbox. I am thinking of mounting my brake reservoirs on the engine side of the foot box if there is room and if it looks good. I have the gen 2 body and foot box.
    Thank you,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob

May not be a good idea as they will reside right above the header and the resultant heat may boil the brake fluid. I mounted all three reservoirs at the front of the footbox as far up as I could. I also used the large scoop to direct air via a sheet steel curved plate (conforming to the underside of the fender at that point) with a piece of 2 1/2" tailpipe cut at an angle and welded to the curved plate. This Rube Goldberg device was then glassed to the underside of the fender. I then fashioned some flex hose to aim at the reservoirs, header pipes, and the aluminum footbox heat shields I previously installed. I think this will adequately cool things down. You might check John Dols photoshop as he has some pictures of my car labeled I think "Bill Loefflers coupe". John, maybe you could step in here and direct Bob. I haven't learned yet how to put photos on the forums. I need to get John down here to show me how, I know he is real computor savvy. Hint, hint, John. My 71 year old brain needs help with these new fangled gadgets!!! LOL.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, good point, I had forgotten about heat from the headers and I was just concerned with clearance around the valve cover......

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi rj35pj,
    I went to Barrett Jackson auction yesterday and saw more "Cobras" than ever except a dedicated roadster event. I was looking for a good application for the reserviors just like you. I can tell you that the only one that looked doable was on the firewall of the ones I saw. It looks like it would be difficult to service but actually it's not so bad. I spoke with a couple of guys about this and they use a syringe and tube to add fluid. The clearance from the firewall to the edge of the body is about 5.5 in and the Wilwood reseviors fit nicely under that shelf. They aren't much to look at anyway. If I had the nice ones that could be an issue. I'll go thru my videos and see if there is something I missed. Good luck. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Also FYI D.O.T. 5 fluid boils at 550 degrees

Post Thanks / Like
    Went through my Photobucket account to see if I had any showing that area, but to no avail..

I think it would be a real squeeze adding them to that area. In addition to the potential heat issues, I'm pretty sure they would be to close to the valve covers. Be a real ***** trying to tighten the rear header bolts too..

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,
    The photos in post #19 in my frame mods thread will give you a rough idea of where the 302 engine will sit relative to the driver's footbox. If you want I will mock up the inside panel and post some photos, although it will be a day or two until I can get to it. Just let me know if you want me to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    Bob,
    The photos in post #19 in my frame mods thread will give you a rough idea of where the 302 engine will sit relative to the driver's footbox. If you want I will mock up the inside panel and post some photos, although it will be a day or two until I can get to it. Just let me know if you want me to do that.
    Jacob,
    I really appreciate your offer, but I'm pretty sure I'll be looking to place the reservoirs else where after what has been discussed in this thread..
    Thank you again for your offer.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bob,
    Not sure of the difference in the Gen I and Gen II footbox, but here's a shot of an earlier version. The first is showing the front of the footbox with the MC mounted. The second is showing with a 302(331) mounted.
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=snakebit31;48839]Bob,
    Not sure of the difference in the Gen I and Gen II footbox, but here's a shot of an earlier version. The first is showing the front of the footbox with the MC mounted. The second is showing with a 302(331) mounted.
    Rob

Rob, Thank you for the pictures. The later footbox encloses the square tubing that runs to the front shock tower. It looks like the inboard aluminum is the same and it looks like you have good clearance with the inboard portion of the footbox. I am going to wait until I have the engine in before I worry anymore about the brake reservoirs. Thanks again.