Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Roadster forum! PLEASE READ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Roadster forum! PLEASE READ

Hi All,

Welcome to the Roadster build forum!

This is a forum that will be used to trade information, tips, tricks, etc. about anything related to the building of a Factory Five Roadster. If you have a question, ask it! If you have a tip, post it! This forum is for you and written by all of us!

The intent here is to keep the discussions build-related. We'll do our best to keep things on track!

If something is posted that is not related to the actual building of these cars, we'll move over to the lifestyle general forum or other fun threads section.

Here are some links for some other fun non-build related places:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum...al-Discussions

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum...ic-Discussions

This is the start of something great!!

R
    Last edited by Randy Jones; 02-02-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Robert, I really miss you man

FFR Roadster Mark III, 500hp Small Block Chevrolet, TKO600, BMW Imola Red with silver ghost flamed stripes by the immortal Batman.

"There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome. Best of luck with the new forum.
    Tim
    FFR MkIV #7393 - LS3, TR6060, 8.8" - Registered 2015 - Painted 2019
    HSV Clubsport R8
    Kwaka ZX-14R

Reserved. Section 8, Row 1, seats 14 and 15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning!
    It feels nice to be a "newbie" again.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey all,

Keep in mind that the 'community section' is the place where non build related stuff is perfect for. This is for build related items.

R

Robert, I really miss you man

FFR Roadster Mark III, 500hp Small Block Chevrolet, TKO600, BMW Imola Red with silver ghost flamed stripes by the immortal Batman.

"There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Jones View Post
    Hey all,

Keep in mind that the 'community section' is the place where non build related stuff is perfect for. This is for build related items.

R
    Got someplace for my 289FIA related items .

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome Randy. Happy to be here.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, I wonder how this will work out.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is great. I can't wait to start using it. I've been on the FFR forum for about 4 plus years, and it is about time we have our own. Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    ....well... glad to be here ...post #1......good luck with the site

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great Randy!
    Proudly Driving: FFR MKIII #5392, '89 donor, 306 EFI, T-5
    GT40P-Heads, 3-link, 8.8 / 3.55 Rear, 4 Wheel Disk Power Brakes,
    17" Halibrands, 4X4 Headers, Koni Shocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like home!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just when I was getting close to 1000 posts........I'm back to 2. Oh well, glad to be here too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aha a Nice new hang out. Looks great Randy.

Steve
    Dad, can I drive it????... Ever!!

FFR1467K 5.0L, Mass-Flo, T5, Trigo Wheels, Lexus Spectra Mica Blue, Phantom stripes and Smiths Gauges.......POM May 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good! And the default here is for the newest post to be at the BOTTOM!!! I like that....I never got used to scrolling UP to to see what the NEXT post was! (I am sure I could have changed that but who has time to figure that out???)

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I can say to the wife (when she's on me for being on the computer again) "but honey, I've only got 3 posts!"...

Hmmm... so much for my 'lifetime' membership on the other site! I imagine it's a goner!?

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, I² electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking of changing my name to "NAGA" on this Forum so that maybe I could get some respect. Would that be OK?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wehr View Post
    Just when I was getting close to 1000 posts........I'm back to 2. Oh well, glad to be here too.
    I hear you! Over there since 2005, and at about 950 - and still no car! The remodel is approaching completion, so and order should be made in the next 3 months or so. I guess that's when the real questions begin.
    CL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    Got someplace for my 289FIA related items .

Bill S.
    Bill, did your car get delivered?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone! Nice site. Can I bring my post count over with me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    just 2 more to 25,000 over there!
    wow!
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Bill, did your car get delivered?
    Not yet, but it is on a truck headed east .

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO...going to be a long time before this forum is so busy that things will need to be moved. BTW looks like you should move just about everything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Jones View Post
    Hey all,

R
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    HI Randy, thanks for the welcome, glad to be here, Herb

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Job Team FFR. There is no better place to have a FFR Forum.

Herb, what are you going to do without Wayne's Pub. I think you are going to have withdrawals. Don't forget we are here for you.
    F5R1006211RD, Blue Granite Metallic with Titan Silver Stripes by Jeff Miller (Batman)
    4.6 SOHC, 3.73 R&P, 3 Link W/Koni's, 17x9 Cobra R's with 255 45zr 17 BFG Tires, Champ Pan

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the new forum is great, now I just have to have Marty help me put all my pictures and data on it.
    Oh well, life is tough when you are just a truck driver and not a computer geek.
    Hey where is all the funny faces at the bottom.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Given time, I believe this will be a fun forum. Like anything else, it'll take time to develop. Some of us have been around awhile and although not as suggestive as before, still pop in to see what's going on. I fit that bill and will see how this takes shape prior to my knowledge (little left) being shared here. If the serious intent is to be more active from F5, I'm 100% in on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks and works great so far. Only thing I've seen so far that is strange is that it re-sizes pics to a maximum width which messes up the pics in some cases.

Cheers, Rod

Helicopter Wrench-Bender ChopperJustin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FAST4U View Post
    Hi everyone! Nice site. Can I bring my post count over with me?
    Wow, I get to quote your "first" post. Folks this is history in the making!

Oh, ps... Formerly Cobra232
    Last edited by ChopperJustin; 02-13-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: missed sig...
    "Gravity, It's The Law"

Soon to be FFR builder Kc_Shane's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only at 2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to the new forum.
    Developer of the authoritative Build Manual Mk4Build.com used by over 1,000 FFR Mk3/Mk4 customers since 2009.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I get to be one of the "Charter Members" of the site. Even though I joined the other forum in 2005 I felt like a rookie. In a few years I can be one of the originals!
    Doug Rosier
    FFR #4737. IRS, Dual Roll Bars, 427w, TKO, Wilwood Brakes, Mass-Flo Fuel Injection, Bullit Wheels, a Bimini Top and Plenty of Fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the Site, Love the FFR Company, Love the Owners, I think I have something in my eye

Post Thanks / Like
    I see from the tags we have on this Forum that we all start as junior members. Ah but it's nice to be young again...I think! I offer my sincere gratitude to Factory Five for getting us all started here.

Gave Up on Build+Sold Car Brandovibe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was directed over here by a friend i met on the toher forum....what is the deal, are people using both or abandoning the old for this one? Is there somewhere i can read the story of what transpired?

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think both sites will continue. The other forum has been serving the community for almost 10 years and has a huge following. I posted my reasons for why we started this forum and I think the best summary is that we did this for the long-term best interests of the community. When I say community, I mean the suppliers, customers, company and everyone that affects. Here's what I wrote and hopefully it will help explain the reasons...

The short story is that the new FFcars forum owners that Bill sold to had dramatically increased advert rates and the trouble is that the strength of the FFR community comes from the grassroots level. Most suppliers cannot afford $4800 per year and I felt there was a legitimate threat to the community if the forum excluded the bulk of core supporters in exchange for Tire Rack and Summit Racing sized sponsors... These bigger advertisers might make the site even more profitable than it was, but the loss of the smaller (and in my opinion, more important) hard-core suppliers (most central part of the FFR community), guys like Russ Thompson, Cobra Earl, Mark Reynolds at Breeze, Max, Forte, Oben, and so many others... that loss would be a disaster to the community. I can tell you that still waters run deep here with these people. Mark Reynolds was instrumental in getting the SEMA model legislation passed in Massachusetts. That's one guy and one story. The success of FFR is inseparable from the success of the community. I can tell you that a large forum management company has no understanding of the unique FFR society. And to us at FFR, how can you seriously quantify the value of these guys by measuring ad rates. No way.

Factory Five is not in the business of forum management. We are a parts and engineering company. Still, without the core FFR community, we are severely diminished. We're never going to make our money on a Forum, rather, we are going to use it to promote, protect and grow this most amazing asset of all, THE FFR COMMUNITY. That community includes all of us, the crew at FFR, suppliers big and small, clubs, customers, enthusiasts, etc, a tremendous spectrum of people from all different backgrounds and experience.

The other reason is that I had a huge number of people asking us to do this. The forum, as it exists today, has evolved thru three versions (four if you count the new owners and name), and many of the guys in the FFR community have witnessed these changes, each time, having to see the community adjust and shift over each time. First was the old SW Specialty cars email list, then Mike Seniors Cobraforum, then Bill stepped in and copied the cobraforums email list and started FFCobra. FFCobra would become FFCars after a lawsuit with ****** and then it would be sold to the new corp owners. My loyalty was to Bill and once he sold the forum, I felt clear air to build this one.

I decided to start this forum and dedicate the place to a simple concept of building the FFR community. This is done in a number of ways, one big way is to provide advertisers (those guys who provide such important parts to the FFR community) access to FFR guys for ads that only reflect the shared cost of running the site. Based on a Co-op model, this place will also benefit from a closer link to our company and (when ready) we will leverage the great relationship with larger companies and suppliers to deliver real cool stuff and value to forum members.

Both organizations can co-exist just fine. In three weeks we have gathered almost 2,000 members. I am excited because the charter of this place is community above all and as this job is done well, we will see more and more people use this as a resource. Worried about censoring and freedom? We gathered the best moderators and guys with more FFR knowledge and expertise than anywhere and worked hard to ensure everyone knows the mission is to serve the community rather than promote FFR.

We have just started out and there is so much work to do. The front page layout has to change. We have to contact vendors as our vendor page and banner locations just launched a week ago, we have to tie the ffr tech guys in to reply quickly to inquiries. I do feel terrible as the first few weeks I've been out and unable to "pull my weight". Jen is doing better and this place is about to explode as we bring a bunch of new things on-line. There is a tremendous library of things that can be added, but we are taking our time and trying to make sure that the basics are covered, that we walk before we run, and that we have all the mechanics, links and programming done before we start dropping too much content on. I've got ten books worth of discovery, data, cool facts and historical stuff from the CS lawsuits that I want to post, along with so many other things.. It is a real shame that there is only 24 hours in the day!

I'd say keep an eye on both forums and support em both. Plenty of bandwidth.

Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope this works out well.....all the best......

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome.

Important question to me that I really want an answer to.

How is it your company is getting around California emmisions? Are your cars just registered as a 1965 roadster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    CombatEN,

FFRs are sold as component cars, meaning without an engine and transmission. It is up to the customer to finish the car and register it. Most - if not all - guys in California register their cars as a SPCN vehicle, otherwise known by it's legislative bill number, SB100. That law allows for 500 exemptions a year based on either the car it most resembles or the year of the engine. Since my Roadster resembles a '65 AC Cobra, I was allowed to build a car that matched that year's emission standard (although my car runs a Ford Crate engine, catalitic converters and is fuel injected, and would actually pass a smog test )

MY car is NOT titled as a 1965! The year listed is actually 0000 and the has an initial registration year of 2006.

Welcome to the forum!

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for posting in the wrong place
    Learning

Post Thanks / Like
    The Windy City boys are seriously moving forward to determine our order. My son and I are welcome to all your tips, and ideas both for the orginal order and all the interesting ideas and modifications you have made for yours. We will order the full kit. We are looking at 400-450 hp engine from forte or engine factory. Please feel free to send me anything and everything. I would greatly appreciate it or.. direct me to the threads you think worthy of looking at. Remember anything and everything. Also we are 6' and 6'2" so foot space is a "hot" topic.. but really anything. We did take the build class Dec '11. All your help, experience and advice would be greatly appreciated..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast