Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 2,001 to 2,016 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Hello All.

I decided to log in and see what was going on in the world of Factory Five and to say hello.

I'll stop by again soon. I hope you're all doing well.

Mike
    Hey Mike, I got notification of your reply to this thread. Been a long time... Hope you guys are doing great! David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Mike!
    Did you end up getting another car or project?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear from you, Mike! How's the C1 coming?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hey Mike, I got notification of your reply to this thread. Been a long time... Hope you guys are doing great! David
    Hi David,

Pam asked me a couple of days ago whether or not I had heard from you guys. We've been working and staying close to home as much as possible. I saw a video that you posted of a Tesla that you bought for Mary. How do you like it? The same idea has been playing in the back of my head, but we'll see.

I bought a 1962 Corvette that I had planned to use as a resto-mod project. I drove it in stock form for 2 or 3 months, and decided that I didn't want to cut that car up. It was just too nice for that. So I placed an add on E-Bay, and it sold in 5 hours. The guy that bought is seemed like a good guy, and wanted to keep it strictly stock. He came to Charlotte to pick it up on 8/17.

That happened about 4 hours prior to me being placed into an ambulance for a bone jarring ride to the hospital. (I think they hit every bump they could find on the way).

It turned out that I had a Gall Bladder full of Gall Stones, and Pancreatitis that resulted from a Gall Stone that was stuck. I have never hurt so bad in my life.
    My nurse told me that she had previously been a professional clown... I thought she was kidding, but she wasn't. She was a great nurse though.

A week of IV's, Pain Meds, and Intense Antibiotics, got me to the point that I could have surgery... Couldn't eat or drink anything at all for 4 days; but I don't think I could have anyway.

I had surgery to remove the Gall Bladder, and allow the Pancreas to finish healing. I am just now starting to feel that I'm back to some version of normal... Trying to get my strength back. It really took a lot out of me.

With all that, I haven't even thought of finding another Corvette to use as a project car.

And for now, I'm ok with that.

I hope you guys are doing well. If Pam and I get out to the West Coast in the near future, I'll let you know. It would be great to get together.

Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Hi, Mike!
    Did you end up getting another car or project?
    Hi Beeman,
    Sold the C1, and so far I haven't looked for a replacement for the project. I still want to, but I'm in no hurry at this point.
    I'll be sure to post something here when it starts back up.

Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Great to hear from you, Mike! How's the C1 coming?
    Hello Shane, as you can tell from the previous posts, the C1 Resto-Mod project has been put on hold. I'll get back to it, but I'm in no rush.
    Turns out that these 62 corvettes are pricey, and just keep going up in price. Project cars are few, and when you find them, the owners want as
    much for them as though they were in pristine condition. So, since I have time, I'll wait them out.

It's great to hear from all of you! Take care, and I hope to talk to you again soon.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez Mike. Hope you get well soon. Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice to see your message. I hope your recovery is speedy and well!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Had some of the same issues in the past no fun, hope you are better soon know it take some time to recover. Good Luck and Speedy Recovery

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,

Wish you speeding recover, it suchs beeing old, everything down from my kidneys is mass up, four years ago did quad bypass and now going for biopsy tomorrow.
    will have to do surgery soon, biopsy is just to define how bad and what type, keeping fingers crossed.

car is almost ready. just it seems like I am not now ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike

Jeez... sounds like a rough time!
    Having your gall bladder out will lead to some lifelong, er, effects... especially if you eat fatty food. (Had mine out a few years ago).

We gotta get on the phone and chat again one day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All. Just checking in to see how things are going around here. I get to the point once in a while where I miss the GTM. I keep thinking that who ever bought it would surface here and make a couple of posts about their new car.

I'm getting the itch to build something again.

I really loved Dave's 20th Anniversary Cobra (Dark Blue with Dark grey "ghost" stripes). That is a Beautiful car.

I've also had a thing for the Type 65 (now Gen III), with a 427-IR Roush crate motor, with a Tremic 6-spd in it if it'll fit. Probably using the same colors as Dave's Mk-IV Cobra.

And now to make things even more complicated, He's designing a new car (F9) that from what I've seen, is going to be very nice.

I can imagine it with a Coyote crate engine, Headers, and Magna-Flow exhaust with a nice low rumble.

Champagne or Taupe with a light beige interior, and the wheels that they had on the chassis at SEMA.

I'm really looking forward to more updates on the body design of the new car.

Just dreaming for the time being, but I think I'm coming back around.

I do know that this build will definitely be from a new kit, and not a rescue like my GTM was. (It did turn out pretty well though).

I hope everyone here is doing well, and prospering.

I'll check back in again soon.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-09-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

11. Likes Edgeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike....great to hear from you! Hope that things are going well for you. Yeah...I'm looking forward to seeing the first F9 to see what they've come up with. From what I've seen so far, it looks very promising! Take care!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

13. Likes Edgeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You too Shane. Stay busy until this F9 comes out. I have a feeling that you're going to be building A LOT of them. It reminds me of a cross between a Ferrari 812 Superfast and an Aston Martin DBS. (In street version). The Race version looks like a Dodge Viper. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-09-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Mike!! That's what I'm hoping!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash - Started a thread asking GTM builders/owners to give a History of their GTM, since it appears as though production of the supercar is winding down. I posted on that thread, but thought that I would also post it herel, to sort of cap off Pandora'a build thread.

Build Thread for “The Stig’s GTM”
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...e-on-the-body-)

I went through the build process until I got to a point that I felt I was getting in over my head: electrical/wiring, body work, and paint. I spoke to Jeff Collins of Whitby Motorcars, and told him what I would like to do. Wiring was started, and the Body and Paint was completed.

Whitby Motorcars – Jeff Collins
    https://youtu.be/eovwIUakKJo?list=FL...Dn3qanwxLkTPDA

When the car was delivered back to me, I started more chassis work and clean up.

It was time to have the interior designed, fabricated, and installed. I met Steve Kurzman of Custom Stitching Co., a Good-Guys car show in Charlotte. He came to my house to see the GTM, and agreed to take on the project. I had seen a few cars that he had worked on, and was extremely impressed. He and his team, produce high quality interior work. Everything in the GTM was fabricated from scratch and installed by his shop.

Custom Stitching Company – Steve Kurzman
    https://youtu.be/NgIDjQmnRAU

When Steve and his guys finished their magic, I decided that I wanted to have the body and paint reworked. There were some updates that I wanted to have done on the body that included the Rear Hatch, the door/window fitment, the shape of the wheel openings, and how the hood fit the fenders and body/doors.

Tony Kutas of Charlotte Speed Shop performed that work that I requested, and did a great job. It soon became obvious that so much work was being done that the body would need to be resprayed. I figured that if I were going to repaint the car, It would be a color that was closer to what I wanted originally. Dark, Dark, Dark, Pearl Blue. Tony suggested a BMW color that was being used at the time, called Carbon Black Metallic. He did a couple of sprayed samples, and I fell in love with it. It was exactly what I wanted on the car. This work ended up taking about a year and a half to complete.

Charlotte Speed Shop – Tony Kutas Owner
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzh0w0BCyU4
    Moving the car around at the paint shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6a9QOvhyxw
    Moving the car outside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60GWyiCmhM
    Showing the reflection and clarity of the freshly painted rear hatch.

When Tony and his guys finished the body and paint rework, the GTM went to its first car show. Caffeine and Octane, in Jekyll Island, GA. It got a ton of positive attention, and was fun to see people's reactions to it as it sat next to Ferraris, Lamborghini's, and Rolls Royce's. I had a tag made up with the name "PANDORA". It was really funny when a couple of kids walk behind the GTM, saying that "They had always loved these Pandoras"...

The Next Car Show was the Charlotte Auto Fair in 2017. Pandora had come full circle. Tony had reserved 4 slots for cars that he and his shop had worked on. While we were talking to people about the GTM, and listening to them tell me what kind of Ferrari it was, I was approached to do an impromptu interview. I've never been interviewed, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I guess it turned out well enough.

Charlotte Auto Fair – Car Show Interview
    https://youtu.be/hJJowl3ngIY?list=FL...Dn3qanwxLkTPDA

During that show, I learned how much the GTM terrified Pam. She loved the build process. She loved the way it turned out. She loved the way it sounded. But sitting so low, and realizing how fast it accelerated (pins you back in the seat), scared her too much to want to ride in it with me. Since that sort of defeated the purpose of building it, I decided to sell Pandora.

I spoke to RK Motors in Charlotte, who agreed to sell her (the GTM) for me. It took a little longer than expected, but it sold for the price that I told them that I wanted for it.

Sold by RK Motors – Charlotte, NC
    https://youtu.be/nETknDLDD44?list=FL...Dn3qanwxLkTPDA

I do not know who actually bought it, but I was told that they were from Maryland...

It would be great to know who bought it, and whether or not they are enjoying owning it. Oh well.

Maybe the F9 will come to life in much the same way that the GTM did. Here's hoping...
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-09-2022 at 06:02 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear from you Stig.

I have been wondering about your "other projects"?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,

I check in from time to time. Like many, we were hit pretty hard by the whole Covid shut-down and everything since. As well. we've lost family members that hit pretty hard. We're getting back to a more "normal" environment, but the projects have been left on the back burner: for a couple of reasons.

1st: I have been watching the development of the F9 (as much as we're able to see anyway), and thinking that it may be the next big projet that I dig into. I could see going "all in" on that one. I like where the design seems to be headed and think that it could be a strong seller for Factory Five. Hopefully they will be able to make it work. They sure seem to have a lot invested in it already.

2nd: I have also wanted to build a Roadster that pretty much mirrors Dave Smiths 20 anniversary car. (Dark blue metallic with dark silver gray "ghost" stripes. Beautiful car.

3rd: I would like to buy another 62 Corvette to drive around from time to time. Something to tinker with and enjoy.

Who knows which one(s) will end up in the garage, But I hope to be working on something before too long.

Take care,

Mike B (Stig)
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-15-2022 at 08:05 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

19. Likes Edgeman liked this post
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051