Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Custom Hatch Props

Post Thanks / Like

Custom Hatch Props

Design is finished and parts are on order...should have them in a few days.

Please excuse the dusty and dirty mess!! These use the same pivot point in the front as before, and the same bracket mounting location on the hatch as the gas springs, but I have supplied new brackets for the hatch. They have the exact same mounting hole pattern as the FFR supplied brackets, so if you already have them installed, simply drill out the rivets and use the same holes for my brackets. These brackets have 4 holes so you can adjust for safe lift height without the corners of the hatch/glass digging in to your paint on the body!

The props are made from 1/4" 6061 aluminum. They are plasma-cut, so edge quality is not perfect, but nothing that a few minutes with a sanding disc or belt sander wouldn't take care of in a jiffy......heck, you could polish the whole thing if you wanted. I decided to keep the design simple so it blends in well with the hinge links and hinge plate.

"Durable enough to support a tilt rear?".....I would bet on being able to use them to break the hatch in half before they fail.....don't know what you have designed or in mind for a tilt rear.....depending on how much weight you put in that location to prop it open, I would be worried about the fg before I'd worry about the prop.

These are going to be a great solution to the many, many problems caused by the gas springs supplied with the kit. Like:

1. The gas springs apply constant stress to the hatch whether opened or closed.

2. The gas springs actually change the fit of the hatch. If you adjust your hinges and fit your hatch to the body, and THEN install the gas springs, you will find that the hatch now fits completely different than it did before.

3. When you close the hatch, you always need to push down on the front of the hatch glass to seat the hinges, as the gas springs are always trying to force the glass upward so it sits above the level of the roof of the car.

4. The gas springs wear out.....ususally quickly, and when they do, they are useless and need constant replacement.

5. The gas springs supplied with the kit are actually too long and will allow you to open your hatch too far....driving the corners of the glass into the painted body, causing damage to the paint in that location.

Price for these (pair) and all the hardware needed to install them (minus the 3/16" rivets for the brackets) will be $79 plus shipping. You can email me thru my website contact info if you'd like to order.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shane,

I'm in for a set. Do they come as bare metal or powder coated?

How do you want to be paid; Check or PayPal?

Thanks,

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the Hatch Props yesterday. They look great, and I can't wait to get them on the car. But first, they're off to the powder-coater...
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike! Maybe you can post some prettier pictures for me than my disgusting mess above.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be happy to. It may be a week or so though. I like this so much better than the 2 x 4 that I have to use to hold the hatch up. Even though it's quality grade wood...
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...

That sounds waaaayy nicer than the "custom" cardboard shipping tube that I use for a temporary prop!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I even wrap the ends with High quality Shop towels... Nothing but the best.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane, really really nice work man!

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to get the Hatch Props installed this weekend. It took about a half hour to switch from the gas struts to these props.

They are very well made (as are all the parts that Shane makes and sells).

Here are a few pictures that show the hatch being supported by the props.

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting that Mr. Stig! Glad you like them!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Thanks for posting that Mr. Stig! Glad you like them!
    I love them. It's much easier that hoping that the struts are going to hold (which mine never did). They lock into place very easily and give you plenty of room to work underneath the hatch. To close the hatch, I just lift up on it just a little, and the two opposite struts unlock and allow you let the it down.

And, you don't have to go out and buy a set of 50# gas struts that will only deform the way the hatch rests against the body.

Great design!
    The Stig

GTM #0081