BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Footwell Vents

Post Thanks / Like

Footwell Vents

In looking at hundreds of pics of cars, I've seen several with some very nice vent systems that provide air to the footwells. The all look well designed so was wondering if there is a vendor that provides a kit or is it mostly a collection of parts.

As always, thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.cobraearl.com

Make sure you spend the extra $5 and get the better hose he offers, the other is junk.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also check out PaulProe's version. Here's a shot of the passenger vent. It's cable activated, but with no blower in the vent line.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chris. Will check it out since not sure I would want to add another electrical component (blower).

Post Thanks / Like
    A little different approach -- but also provides ventilation into the foot wells -- is to use vents in the transmission tunnel. Low tech and pretty easy to install. This is what I did. Haven't been in real hot conditions yet, but seem to be effective.

http://mk4build.com/manual/doku.php?id=vents
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the cobra earl system. I went with some motorhome sewer hose from walmart. It blows great in the passenger compartment. I put the driver side on the outer top of the footbox(MKIV) as that was the easiest place, since all the footbox was completed. Not sure how it will work out longterm, as a lot of air is blocked by the pedals. You cant beat the tranny tunnel vents for simplicity.
    MKIV #7619 complete kit IRS, 351 TKO 500, Delivered 11/13/2011
    First start 12/31/2011
    Gocart 01/12/2012
    completed tags/title 05/11/2012
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Graduate-7619

Post Thanks / Like
    Emac I got cobra earls and would like to see some pics of yours if you have any. Every thing in the kit looks good but the hose does look a little flimsy. The heavier hose looks like it my be a little tempermental routing it but less flimsy. I may look at the walmart hose my self. Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick, the better hose offered by Earl really isn't that hard to work with and a much sturdier hose.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK C View Post
    Emac I got cobra earls and would like to see some pics of yours if you have any. Every thing in the kit looks good but the hose does look a little flimsy. The heavier hose looks like it my be a little tempermental routing it but less flimsy. I may look at the walmart hose my self. Nick
    I didnt take any pics after I installed it and the body is on now. I mounted the blowers on the F-panels. I grounded them there as well, so I only had to run one wire to them. The switch is mounted under the dash. I think I used the heater circuit wire out of the RF harness.

Two things I wish I would have done different. I placed the passenger vent to the inside of the footbox. I think it is great for ventilation, but it would have been cleaner and covered by the body more if I would have placed it to the outside, like most people do. If you use the walmart hose, I found it a tight fit and it would have been easier to put it on the blower with the blower unmounted (I think). Walmart hose seems sturdy and is about $15. Hope that helps.

ernest
    Last edited by emac; 02-15-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    MKIV #7619 complete kit IRS, 351 TKO 500, Delivered 11/13/2011
    First start 12/31/2011
    Gocart 01/12/2012
    completed tags/title 05/11/2012
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Graduate-7619

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no such cockpit venting, since I heavily insulated the exterior and interior footwell surfaces, and my rebuilt 1989 302 EFI doesn't put out that much heat. My opinion about the posts above is that Cobra Earl's system will likely do a better job of cooling the car interior because its air pickups are in the front of the car, ahead of the hot engine and headers. Tranny tunnel vents are aft of those heat sources. I wonder too if the tranny vents might spit a bit when the car runs in the wet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre B View Post
    I have no such cockpit venting, since I heavily insulated the exterior and interior footwell surfaces, and my rebuilt 1989 302 EFI doesn't put out that much heat. My opinion about the posts above is that Cobra Earl's system will likely do a better job of cooling the car interior because its air pickups are in the front of the car, ahead of the hot engine and headers. Tranny tunnel vents are aft of those heat sources. I wonder too if the tranny vents might spit a bit when the car runs in the wet.
    I don't doubt the powered vents, like Cobra Earl's, will do a better job at very low speed or stopped. But the tranny tunnel vents do put out a decent amount of air at 10 mph and up. The air is cool, and although I haven't driven in the rain, I don't think water will come through them. I wasn't able to find the posts where I read about it, but apparently there is enough air pressure under the car that air picked up at this location is cool and dry.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that you have had the tranny vents for a while. Happy with them?

SF
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    A little different approach -- but also provides ventilation into the foot wells -- is to use vents in the transmission tunnel. Low tech and pretty easy to install. This is what I did. Haven't been in real hot conditions yet, but seem to be effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdf View Post
    Now that you have had the tranny vents for a while. Happy with them? SF
    I'm approaching 2,500 miles in the Mk3, and haven't regretted using the tranny vents for a minute. This weekend was the London Cobra Show. Just got home a couple hours ago. Did a nearly 200 mile cruise on Friday. It was pretty warm (upper 80's), sunny, and humid. So a good test. At least by Midwest standards. Ventilation was adequate. We were much more tired from the sun than heat from the cockpit. I think every build is different. I'm running a SBF with good insulation, so I think the heat issues are more manageable. The transmission vents are enough for this setup. For a big block, or maybe for a hotter running engine (or maybe with cats?), something with powered ventilation may be in order. But I don't have any first hand experience with that.

BTW, will be doing the same setup with tranny vents on my Mk4 build.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-23-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Howdy Edwardb,

I tried going to the site you posted but it’s in chinese.

I’m also interested in looking at PaulProe’s vent kit but no luck.

I’ve been trying to find more information but I’m just starting my search. However, I did come across an interesting mod in this youtube video:

https://youtu.be/PgQSvqfXXz8

Around 0:47 the guy starts showing off those components.

Where can I find those?

P.S. forgot to mention that I went to cobraearl’s site and no luck either.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Several options...
    Search 3" or 4" plastic blast gate
    Acton has several options: http://actoncobra.com/index.php?main...ort=20a&page=7

17. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! Very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    Several options...
    Search 3" or 4" plastic blast gate
    Acton has several options: http://actoncobra.com/index.php?main...ort=20a&page=7

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 3" plastic tubing and other goodies came from Spectra Performance and I found their stuff worked well.
    The 3" Attwood Bildge Blowers can be purchased nearly anywhere, but I got them from Amazon.
    Also, I ran the wires inside the ducts since they were terminating under the dash anyway.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Happy Foot Box Venting!

20. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    Howdy Edwardb,

I tried going to the site you posted but it’s in chinese.

I’m also interested in looking at PaulProe’s vent kit but no luck.

I’ve been trying to find more information but I’m just starting my search. However, I did come across an interesting mod in this youtube video:

https://youtu.be/PgQSvqfXXz8

Around 0:47 the guy starts showing off those components.

Where can I find those?

P.S. forgot to mention that I went to cobraearl’s site and no luck either.

Thanks!
    Whoa. Old post. Two builds since that one, but did the same transmission tunnel vents on each. For a simple mod I'm happy with them. The Mk3build and later Mk4build sites have been off-line for some time. Cobraearl doesn't sell that setup any more either. He stopped selling for health reasons, and posts occasionally and hanging in there. But guys are sourcing the various components as others have posted. I haven't found the need for powered vents, so know very little about them. But then I am admittedly in a cooler climate that some. My only comment about the powered vents is make sure the ducting you use will handle the temps. I parked next to a guy at the London show a couple years ago with a brand new build. The ducting he used melted through over the exhaust header area, and his vents turned into very effective heaters.

22. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my experience.

I used the standard parts that everyone pretty much used. The vents work very well. The fans really push a lot of air in which is nice here in Florida.

The plastic blast gates are pretty junky and mine got harder and harder to open and close. The drivers side, that I mounted where I could hardly get to it, froze. I got some exhaust cutouts, the cheap Chinese version since I just needed the valve, took the motors off and made them cable operated. I relocated to a better spot, which included doing some new brake lines. They work great now and feel like they have some quality when you operate them.

I also ended up changing out the vent hoses to this. I had the "nicer" version, but they still split after a few years. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3631

I still have the original cables! I would like to find quieter fans some day. They do roar a bit.

24. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well shoot....wasn’t somebody wondering how to use the engine heat as cabin heat somewhere around here?

LoL

I think you solved that problem for him inadvertantly.

Whoa. Old post. Two builds since that one, but did the same transmission tunnel vents on each. For a simple mod I'm happy with them. The Mk3build and later Mk4build sites have been off-line for some time. Cobraearl doesn't sell that setup any more either. He stopped selling for health reasons, and posts occasionally and hanging in there. But guys are sourcing the various components as others have posted. I haven't found the need for powered vents, so know very little about them. But then I am admittedly in a cooler climate that some. My only comment about the powered vents is make sure the ducting you use will handle the temps. I parked next to a guy at the London show a couple years ago with a brand new build. The ducting he used melted through over the exhaust header area, and his vents turned into very effective heaters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are only worried about your better half staying warm then I've got an easy solution.
    I used a cable operated valve and Jeep CJ-3 heater core that is mounted in the top of the foot box just below the output side of the floor vent on my wife's side of the car.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=982

It wasn't something I deemed necessary living so far South near New Orleans, but Mrs. Go-Dad wanted heat on her feet.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-11-2019 at 06:37 AM.

27. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If anyone wants to put heat on the feet of your better halves, then this is the heater core I used.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/c.../1960/jeep/cj3

29. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    Thanks! Very helpful!
    I got some similar to these from Ashley Hinton in the UK for a lot less. I'm going to use inexpensive dorman choke cables to actuate them.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...parts-supplier
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines