Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Steering Installation- UniSteer ElectraSteer

Post Thanks / Like
    Does this still fit with the coyote?
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    Does this still fit with the coyote?
    Yes it does, FF adds an extra joint and a frame bracket to jog out wider in between the firewall and the chassis mounted unisteer, that leaves more room for the headers IIRC.
    HTH
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding moving the module, has anyone contacted FFR or Unisteer about wiring extensions or do most just splice and extend? I think I might be able to get it in behind the triangular shaped kick panel on the driver side then close off the back to keep it out of the elements, but need to be able to extend all wires.

Thanks
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Yes it does, FF adds an extra joint and a frame bracket to jog out wider in between the firewall and the chassis mounted unisteer, that leaves more room for the headers IIRC.
    HTH
    Dale
    Ok good. Thanks!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    How far down does the motor have to be clocked to clear a 15+ coyote?
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am right at the electric steering install on my 33' with SBC 350. After reading directions and seeing this thread, I wonder if I'm doing this right. Put engine in for test fit and my electric steer motor clears pan by about 1/4 inch with existing holes. Good enough? Then it shows to mount unit WITHout the front cover and bearing... And then the small cover on electrical wires clears frame so I don't have to remove it like instructions say I might. Am I just lucky? THEN,,,, along with this test fit I went with Short water pump and pulleys as directed ( wanted long pump ) because of no space issue. BUT now I have 2 1/2 clearance to steer rack and could have put in a long pump. Am I lucky again or did I do something wrong? I wanted the long pump to mount the alternator high on passenger side. I have a Low mount bracket but today discovered that I will NOT be able to install or remove a low mount alternator without lifting the engine.... I need to stop while I think this all this through.

Post Thanks / Like
    After 5 yrs and 17,000 miles (HR33#522) I finally installed the electric steering assist unit ((UIS-8052160 with UIS- 8052510 unjoints) from Summit Racing. This is the 220 watt version, 17mm shaft. Upgraded from the original offering. I didn’t go with the larger size as I didn’t want too much assist. In summary I love it! Can’t believe I didn’t do this sooner. When I first did a test drive I was over steering a little. After about 30 minutes driving on curvy roads I acclimated to it and it seems normal, like a modern production car. Nice feel even at highway speed and of course parking is 100% improved. The real convincer was turning it off after driving for awhile. It didn’t take long to get spoiled. I put a switch in to be able to turn it off while driving. It’s still new so we'll see, but I am thinking I will keep it on all the time.
    Bill
    '33HR #522, LS3, TKO 500, Boyd's Tank, QA1 Shocks, Double Roll Bars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12