BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Stock Brake Resevoir Installation-Important

Post Thanks / Like

Stock Brake Resevoir Installation-Important

Hey new builders,

Something you'll want to know about when you are in the beginning of your build. We noticed this error during the Car Warriors build as both teams got caught on it and looked like rookies. In the new manual it tells you to mount the Brake reservoirs in this fashion.

This is simply too high and will hit the body when you install it. What I recommend is fabricating your mounts like this:

Not only will it clear the body, it will also allow you room to reach in and undo the left/center nut for the windsheild/hardtop when needed. You won't be able to get to it from below as it sits right above the pedal box so you'll have to run the access panels and reach through them.

Happy building!

e

2. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    bc33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happened to me too. Just goes to show that "JUST BECAUSE IT'S IN THE MANUAL DOESN'T MEAN IT'S RIGHT"!! Best to question everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the reservoir's? I like the idea. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The new complete kit (at least mine did) came with aluminum reservoir cans which are to be mounted on the engine side of the firewall and piped through the wall to the master cylinders. Body won't hit but looks a little weird if you set them above the cowl top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I only got one reservoir with my kit. Maybe I should call and see if I was supposed to get two of them. I hate the idea of only one reservoir. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0969.JPG Summit Racing.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    HVACMAN, thank you for the picture. When I looked on the Summit site I only found a 3 reservoir. I figured I could purchase a dual reservoir but considering the safety factor I think 2 should be included in the kit. That and my Summit bill is out of control! LOL thanks again! Ray

9. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only got one resevoir also, a Y connector was included which I didn't use. I bought a second matching resevoir from FFR.
    I hear ya on the Summit, Jegs, Amazon, etc bills, lol.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to Speedway Motors for a dual reservoir.
    33 Hot Rod w/ deluxe 32 nose
    350 SBC and 700r4 automatic, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears
    Order date:4/25/19, Deliver date 6/10/19
    First run 10/6/2019, Go cart 11/3/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, just to set the record straight! After talking to Dan at FFR I stand corrected. A dual reservoir is required on a single master cylinder system, however on a dual master only a single reservoir is required! Live and learn. Dan is really a knowledgeable guy. Enjoy talking to him. Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with wilwood before I made a decision. It’s true that dual masters don’t require dual reservoirs... but how many pumps before you’re dry?

I like the backup of two discrete and independent braking systems. I can lock the hell out of both front and rear, so I’m sure they can stop the car independently if they had to.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

14. Likes HVACMAN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    I spoke with wilwood before I made a decision. It’s true that dual masters don’t require dual reservoirs... but how many pumps before you’re dry?

I like the backup of two discrete and independent braking systems. I can lock the hell out of both front and rear, so I’m sure they can stop the car independently if they had to.
    I thought (and wanted) the same thing, but the balance bar pretty makes "two independent systems" impossible, doesn't it? I noticed this when I had filled and bled one system, and the other was empty. The pedal bottomed out because of the balance bar. All the effort went to the empty side.

Or am I missing something? It's been quietly bugging me ever since.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, I don’t understand the ramifications of a single system failure as well as I would like to. If nothing else, it underscores the need to have a real and functioning parking brake.

according to wilwood:
    Brake Pedal Guidelines

Wilwood pedal assemblies and integrated balance bars have been designed specifically for racing applications. Properly set-up, this assembly will allow for the precise adjustment of front-to-rear brake bias. The advantages of an adjustable balance bar and dual master cylinders are:

• Brake proportioning can be adjusted by use of different size master cylinder bores for front and rear brakes.
    • Front to rear brake balance can be fine tuned by adjusting the balance bar.
    • With two independent hydraulic systems, should one master cylinder fail, the other system may remain functional.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

17. Likes AJT '33 liked this post