Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Master cylinder brake pushrod length?

Post Thanks / Like

Master cylinder brake pushrod length?

Since I assembled my MKII almost 10 years ago, I've been running a manual brake setup consisting of a new parts store replacement (raybestos) 84 Mustang manual brake master cylinder, 87-93 donor pedal box, and OEM brake pushrod removed from a donor power brake booster. Braking performance has been adequate, but I always felt that the brake pedal effort was too high, and the pedal travel was not enough to get full stopping power. (This is compared to other manual brake vehicles I have owned/driven in the past.) Additionally, with this setup the pushrod was on a significant angle as it entered the master cylinder.

In hopes of correcting these problems, I acquired a modified donor brake pedal designed to replicate the OEM 4 cyl manual brake pedal assembly. I mounted this pedal in the lower set of holes in the donor pedal box, and while the pushrod is now lined up straighter, it appears to be too short. The rear of the pedal pad on new brake pedal now has to be 2" or less from the front of the footbox so the pushrod can reach but now it cannot go deep enough into the master cylinder. Next I tried the longer pushrod from the 84 Mustang master and it is about 1" too long.

Not sure how to proceed at this point? It is there a different length pushrod from another application I should be using, or is something else amiss in my combo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Bullet306; 03-02-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post a picture of the push rods you are using? Also how many spacers, if any do you have behind your master cylinder? Your push rod removed from the stock power brake booster should be about 5.5 inches long to the center of the bore. I have used this combination many times with no issues.
    Mike

Last edited by michael everson; 03-02-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might ask Mark at Breeze if this one is adjustabe to the size you need:

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=347
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I've been using the wrong length pushrod from the beginning. The top one was removed from what I thought was an 87-93 booster, bottom one is for a 84 Mustang manual brake application.

HPIM0720.JPG

An adjustable looks to be the cure for my ills.

Thanks to all for your assistance.