BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Registration and Legality?

Post Thanks / Like

Registration and Legality?

Greetings Factory Five enthusiasts,

My name's Milo, very experienced when it comes to Suby's, so when i heard about Project 818 I knew I had to bite. So here I am.

I'm new to the forum but I have been reading and researching the 818 for several weeks now. Trying to learn as much as I can as I start to plan my build.

One question I have yet to see raised, and forgive me if i am overlooking this or if this info is out there, but how does registration work on a Kit car like the 818? are they street legal and registrable in most states?? I know the 818 will have all the necessary lighting etc to be road legal, but i'm curious how the VIN registration works.

Thanks,

Milo

Post Thanks / Like
    It varies based on the what state you live in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many states will register it as a "specially constructed vehicle". I safety check is usually required. Brakes, lights and the like. For emissions in a state like California the vehicle will usually have to meet the requirements of the engine used or the year of the vehicle the car is replicating. N/A for the 818. IE a 2004 STI motor will have to meet the same standards in the 818. Most if not all states have some means of registering it legally. It's just a matter of time and money. California requires a special form that is only available one day a year and in limited quantities. Under 500 I believe. They are only available for a couple hours due to being sold out.
    94 BB Rx-7 3030lb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    CA requires the SB100.

From what I hear it can be registered by bodystyle and not engine. Since it is specially constructed, it will be an unrecognizable body. This means it will NOT need to be resmogged every two year. Or so people say. There is another thread on this.

Remember ca smog standards are the most strict.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Gents, thanks for the info.

I'll be registering the vehicle in CO, in a county with no emissions testing.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo_818 View Post
    Greetings Factory Five enthusiasts,

My name's Milo, very experienced when it comes to Suby's, so when i heard about Project 818 I knew I had to bite. So here I am.

I'm new to the forum but I have been reading and researching the 818 for several weeks now. Trying to learn as much as I can as I start to plan my build.

One question I have yet to see raised, and forgive me if i am overlooking this or if this info is out there, but how does registration work on a Kit car like the 818? are they street legal and registrable in most states?? I know the 818 will have all the necessary lighting etc to be road legal, but i'm curious how the VIN registration works.

Thanks,

Milo
    Milo,

Take a look here (http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA) SEMA has done a pretty good job of gathering the information needed for all 50 States.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ray!

Post Thanks / Like
    EXCELLENT information.

Thank you,

BBatts
    Nashville, TN

Post Thanks / Like
    That is really good info. I added that link to the first post in the thread I started (referenced above).