Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The california registration process for SB100

Post Thanks / Like

The california registration process for SB100

This is the best write up I've seen on the subject, so I thought I'd share for the Californian's out there. So, if you're ready, kick back, grab a beer and take your time to read this THOROUGHLY. TWICE! I thought I had and hit some snags because it is a lot of info. If you have questions PM me.

e

http://home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776/SB100_Registration.pdf To print out.

Page 1 of 4
    Registration in California is fairly straightforward. There are a number of steps that have to be taken, some forms that have to be filled out, and an inspection or two to go through. I have found that it's always best to bring down everything you can possibly imagine when registering your car. Be over-prepared. Be organized. And don't forget to bring your checkbook!

California Vehicle Code, as it relates to replicas,
    reads:
    "...Section 580. A "specially constructed
    vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for
    private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A
    specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new
    and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520,
    which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially
    constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by
    replacing parts..."

So, technically, if your car was built by a manufacturer (for instance, ****** American, Inc. claims to be a
    licensed automobile manufacturer (****** Series One)) then you can't register it as a Specially Constructed
    Vehicle; and these cars should meet all of the criteria form the DOT for a brand new car (like SRS/air bags, 5 MPH
    bumpers, seat belts, anti-lock brakes, anti-intrusion beams, and - most importantly - they should have brand
    new engines with all the necessary smog and noise abatement equipment on them).
    You have to have built your car, or had it built for private use by someone other than a licensed manufacturer or
    remanufacturer.

SB100
    Perhaps the single greatest contribution to the California kit car builder comes from Senator K. Maurice
    Johannessen, who penned SB1911 (struck down by the California Air Resources Board...although Gov. Davis - in
    a letter that contained exactly the verbage of a letter from CARB - said he would not sign the bill), and then
    refurbished it to be SB100. The differences between the bills being that SB100 limits the number of cars that can
    be registered to 500; the previous bill had no such restriction.
    The newer - and passed! - legislation allows private builders to register their cars as smog exempt - assuming
    that you meet all of the necessary criteria.

In a nutshell, SB100 allows you to register your car as a BRAND NEW car (called a 'SPCN'), with a 1965 smog
    exemption. Do not attempt to register your kit in California with a bogus Alabama title, or sneak past the
    DMV...they'll eventually find you and impound your car. And if you signed any paper making any kind of bogus
    claim...well, you sign all of those papers "under penalty of perjury," which could mean jail time. Don't lose your
    car, don't go to jail, just follow the steps outlined below.
    What California Is Looking For

First and foremost, the DMV isn't looking to keep your car off the road. I'm sure that if you could drive it, they'd
    license a tree. What they are interested in is getting their fees. This is the most important part of the whole
    license process, and the part that seems to throw up the most red flags. Red flags are bad. How you can avoid
    getting in any trouble is to be able to five an accurate number when asked how much your car costs. Don't say
    it's been in storage for years. Don't say you got it for an absurdly low amount of money. The DMV - contrary to
    every counter person I've ever had to deal with at any of the local offices - isn't stupid. Bring receipts, documents
    that show how, where and for how much you purchased parts for, etc. A good median line for Cobras is between
    $25,000 and $50,000. Be prepared to pay title, tax and licensing fees on that amount.

The Hoops You Must Jump Through To Get Registered
    The new SB100 law allows the first 500 people per year to pretty much fly through the registration process. If
    you pay attention to what I write, California registration is absurdly easy.... Just make sure that you have all of
    the necessary documentation with you and ready when you go to the DMV, and make sure the person you're
    talking to at the DMV is fully aware of what a kit car is (SPCN), and that they know all about SB100.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 03-22-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Page 2 of 4

Preparation:

Get a 1-gallon zip-lock plastic baggie. You'll need this to hold all of your paperwork. Do not use a file folder. The
    reasoning behind this is based on eight separate registrations I've done; you have to keep all of the paperwork
    with the car at all times that it's on the street until such time as you complete the entire registration process.
    Putting the paperwork in a zip-lock baggie prevents it from (a) slipping out of the folder or blowing out of the car;
    and (b) it keeps it from getting wet in the event you are driving the car in inclimate weather. Papers will fall out
    of the folder. And you may lose them. That would be bad. Listen to Meat: use a baggie. Oh, and the one gallon
    baggie isn't quite exactly big enough to hold all the papers, so fold them in half and zip the baggie closed when
    it's in the car.

Step 1: Initial DMV Visit
    Make sure you've emptied your bladder before you go, this will be the longest trip. It's also the most important
    trip, since it will set up your car in the DMV computer. Do have everything in order. Do have your receipts. Do
    pay close attention to what the clerk is entering into the computer in reference to your car. They have been
    known to make mistakes.
    While these mistakes can usually be corrected, I personally dislike spending too much
    time in the DMV, and since I'm registering a car that is open to interpretation depending on the attitude and
    knowledge of the clerk I just want to put on one show and then retire.

If you can, schedule an appointment. If not, don't come in with a chip on your shoulder. Be cheerful and happy to
    have spent most of the day in line. Don't tell the clerk how to do their job.
    You'll need to have an "Application for Registration" and a "Statement of Facts" form filled out. Both of these
    forms are available from the DMV. On the "Statement of Facts" form, make sure you fill out the "Vehicle
    Construction Statement as well as the back of the Statement of Facts form.
    Additionally, make sure that you visit the DMV site page that is specifically for Specially Constructed Vehicles
    (Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control). Also, make sure that the clerk doing the input had the DMV memorandum book open in front of them. There is a specific memo that is related to SB100, it's VR-2002-
    25. The clerk MUST read this, and understand it. If they are unwilling to get the book, ask to see the
    supervisor. This memo tells the clerk EXACTLY how to input the information into the computer.
    Make sure that the clerk enters the information correctly, and that the vehicle is set up as a current
    model year SPCN. It's very important that they also assign you a SB100 number - the only way they
    can get the SB100 number is to call Sacramento. Do not leave the DMV without your
    SB100 number!!!
    In order to get a temporary VIN number into the computer, you must bring down the Manufacturers Statement of
    Origin (the "MSO" which should have been generated by the kit manufacturer and shipped to you with your kit).
    On the Statement of Facts form, make sure you mention that you built the car.
    Now get out your checkbook and write a big fat check.
    This will complete the first step, and you will now have a SB100 number, a temporary VIN number, and - most
    important - you'll have a big pink sticker to put on your windshield that will allow you to legally drive your car on
    the street for a few months!

Step 2: Visiting the CHP
    You have to set an appointment to visit the CHP. There is no central number to set the appointment, you simply
    call the office closest to you, and tell them that you have a kit car that needs to have a VIN number assigned to it
    per SB100.
    This is actually the most time-consuming part. Not because it's hard, but because most CHP offices have a
    waiting list. You'll spend most of the time after you leave the DMV (step one) waiting to go to the CHP
    appointment! t usually takes a month or so to get an opening.
    Take all of the paperwork the DMV gave you and show up promptly for your appointment. Make sure that you
    have receipts showing every VIN number for the engine, transmission, etc. You must have a bill of sale for all of
    these parts. The CHP checks the Big CHP Computer for stolen parts.
    The CHP will look over your paperwork, make sure you don't have any stolen parts on the car, and then they will
    get a new VIN number from the State, and affix a tamper-proof VIN number plate to your car. I would
    recommend that you find a nice place to put the VIN number before you get to the BAR. Don't let them attach the
    VIN number to a fiberglass part of the car, have them attach the VIN number to a chassis or frame rail. Some
    place it can be easily read, but not mounted on a part of the car that can be removed.
    Once you have the VIN number, you can set an appointment to visit the BAR and get your car smogged. Make
    sure that the CHP completed the proper paperwork, and put it back in your baggie
    Last edited by ehansen007; 03-22-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Step 3: Visiting the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair)
    To set an appointment with the BAR, you have to call the Sacramento office. You cannot take the car down to a
    local smog station. To set the appointment, call: (800) 622-7733 - YOU CANNOT SET AN APPOINTMENT
    UNTIL THE CHP ISSUES YOU A VIN NUMBER. They will give you a few local BAR stations to go to. Make sure
    that you tell them that you're registering a kit car for the first time under SB100. The reason you want to tell
    them this is because the referee has to inspect your car, and the regional manager guy has to be there, too. The
    total inspection time they set up for you will be about two hours. The actual time it takes to smog the car is about
    20 minutes.

When you show up for your appointment, make sure that you have all of your fluids topped off. The BAR will not
    look at your car unless it has the proper amount of coolant and oil.
    There are two ways to smog your car under SB100. One is by the year of the engine - which is fine if you have all
    of your smog equipment on the car for the year of the engine - including all catalytic converters, etc. The other
    way - the BEST way - is to smog the car according to the bodystyle. The Cobra is a 1965 bodystyle, and,
    consequently, is smog exempt.

Tell the referee that you want the car smogged by BODYSTYLE.
    What may happen is the car will be taken around to the work bay and put up on a dyno. (My car was purely visual and never started. He only wanted a closed crankcase and the PCV valve) The referee will take
    smog levels and record them. Then they will reset the numbers to EXEMPT in the computer. The sole reason you
    go to the BAR is so that they can record levels. It doesn't cost you a dime.
    After taking the levels, the BAR will issue a sticker that they will affix to the car. It's about the size of a standard
    3x5" index card. Find a place to mount this beforehand (it has a barcode on it, so it has to be visible) that is away
    from any engine solvents in the engine compartment. After they stick the thing on, you may want to add a bit of
    protection to the card. I have found that the UPS guys use a transparent tape that still allows the barcode to be
    scanned. You may want to check it out. If the sticker becomes unreadable sometime in the future, you will have
    to have the car re-inspected.
    If you chose bodystyle (like I've said!), then skip on ahead to Step 4. (I'm skipping us ahead here)
    Last edited by ehansen007; 03-22-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Step 4: Brake and Light Inspection
    This step isn't necessarily always a given; if the DMV forgets to mark it on your list of things to do, then you do
    not have to voluntarily get a B&L. If you do, your car has to have working turn signals (front and rear),
    headlights, taillights, gauge lights, and - this is important - a backup light. Cobras generally have not provision
    for a backup light, so you'll have to add one. Even if it's only temporary for the inspection. These can be
    purchased from Pep Boys.

MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KEEP

Step 5: Return To The DMV.
    The easiest step of all. You go here, turn in all of the paperwork, you've aquired, get your license plates, and
    leave. That's it. You're done. Congratulations! (Note: my DMV clerk took all my paperwork shoved it in an envelop and shipped it up to Sacramento. He also extended my Temporary Permit and my plates came in about a month)

Erik
    Last edited by ehansen007; 03-22-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your write up Erik. I was really apprehensive about that, but now I can breath a little easier.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some more good information here: http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_CA.pdf

Erik, very nice write up.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Step six, move to Alabama. They don't care what you drive here. Some lady with a rubber stamp says 'looks good to me give that fella a tag'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info! Thank you for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone gone to the CHP inspection and not gotten a new VIN assigned? I went on Monday and the officer used my Factory Five chassis ID number as the VIN. His explanation was that the VIN is a unique identification number for the chassis, and I already had one of those engraved in the tube and a matching plate with the same. He didn't feel it was necessary to issue a new VIN. He confirmed parts and did the paperwork, but I never got a new VIN.

Any thoughts on how this is going to work out? I made my smog appointment this morning and they accepted the chassis ID as the VIN without a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem. The chassis number is now your VIN number. The CHP did the same for mine.
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    On one occasion (my roadster) the CHP officer assigned a new vin (blue tag) to the vehicle and that is what I used for the BAR appointment. On another vehicle (coupe) the officer used the number from the 2" square tube behind the steering. They both work equally well, it is whatever number the officer writes on his paperwork that counts as far as everyone else is concerned.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Has any GTM owner had any problems with the referee smogging by bodystyle ? Might any of us future 818 owners have any problem smogging by bodystyle since the GTM nor the 818 are 1965 body styles?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Has any GTM owner had any problems with the referee smogging by bodystyle ? Might any of us future 818 owners have any problem smogging by bodystyle since the GTM nor the 818 are 1965 body styles?
    By default, a unique body style is smogged as a 1960 model year.

From www.dmv.ca.gov:

What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?

An SPCNS certificate of sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose an emission control inspection based on the year model of the vehicle or the engine used in the vehicle (If the vehicle or engine does not resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the year model). The certificate is issued by DMV headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Ray
    Last edited by Ray; 05-02-2013 at 10:33 PM.

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, that helps put my mind at ease! 1 inspection down, 2 to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    By default, a unique body style is smogged as a 1960 model year.

From www.dmv.ca.gov:

What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?

An SPCNS certificate of sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose an emission control inspection based on the year model of the vehicle or the engine used in the vehicle (If the vehicle or engine does not resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the year model). The certificate is issued by DMV headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Ray
    Ray,forgive me for being dense, obviously the 818 body style doesn't resemble anything previously manufactured,but the Subaru engine does. The referee seems to have the choice to choose between the body or engine. What keeps the referee when he looks at the engine, seeing a 2002 WRX 2.0 and assigning the year of the registration as 2002. It's the word "or" in the sentence that has me confused.

Post Thanks / Like
    To get one of the 500 SB100 exemptions, do you pretty much have to be at the DMV on Jan 1st? 500 for the whole state doesn't seem like very many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can chose which criteria you want the referee to use. If you choose the body style and it doesn't look like any other production vehicle, 1960 is the criteria used.

2nd2none, it varies from year to year, depending on the economy. When I got mine in 2007, they were all gone by noon or 1PM.
    I believe last year they never got through the 500 and there are still some available for this year.

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

somewhere between AL/SoCal/Tx or now in Afghanistan
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess my first question is: At what stage/step can you drive your car to these locations? Do you have to trailor it all the way through until it has a VIN or can you still drive it on the roads with insurance even at stage 1?

Post Thanks / Like
    I trailered my vehicles through the entire sequence since I never asked for a TOP (Temporary Operating Permit) at the DMV. If you get a TOP you can drive the vehicle.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove the car all over the place with my TOP paper on it. Probably about 500 miles or so. I don't know if the police care or not!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For step one my car was still just parts. The DMV just needs to see your receipts for the parts you have for this step, They don't need (or want) to see your car.

While there, ASK about a TOP, specifically how long it will last. When I started my project in 2006, getting a TOP for 6 months was no problem. When I tried to get a TOP for my mustang in 2013, they only lasted a day. So depending on what they say, try to time acquiring a TOP so the car will be road worthy during the time you have it so you can drive it to the CHP, Brake and Light inspection, and the BAR inspection.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray,forgive me for being dense, obviously the 818 body style doesn't resemble anything previously manufactured,but the Subaru engine does. The referee seems to have the choice to choose between the body or engine. What keeps the referee when he looks at the engine, seeing a 2002 WRX 2.0 and assigning the year of the registration as 2002. It's the word "or" in the sentence that has me confused.
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a set of 818 valve covers are in order.................. Ditch the Subaru covers.
    U.S. NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC (RETIRED)

Post Thanks / Like
    From my understanding, its you that chooses how to have it done. You tell the referee you want it done by bodystyle. He doesn't get to choose.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a question regarding the SB100 process for an 818 that i am hoping you all can help with. I plan to purchase the kit in the next month or so, and start building in May 2014.
    I have read people taking their information from their order to the DMV in January and getting their SB100 before receiving the kit. Is this possible?
    If i do that, how long can i wait (or is there a timeframe) after being issues by SB100 before taking the car to step 2 - visiting CHP

thanks!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer is in the first sentence "...the owner may choose an emission control inspection based on the year model of the vehicle or the engine used in the vehicle." You, as the owner/builder get to choose: model year or engine. Since neither the GTM or 818 resemble a previously manufactured vehicle, I'd pick model year and get the 1960 model year exemption.

Ray

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steve300r View Post
    i have a question regarding the SB100 process for an 818 that i am hoping you all can help with. I plan to purchase the kit in the next month or so, and start building in May 2014.
    I have read people taking their information from their order to the DMV in January and getting their SB100 before receiving the kit. Is this possible?
    If i do that, how long can i wait (or is there a timeframe) after being issues by SB100 before taking the car to step 2 - visiting CHP

thanks!
    I helped a friend do this with his roadster several years ago (2007 I think.) All he had was the receipt from Factory Five and the MSO. He still hasn't finished the build and has just filed a "non-op" for registration. So, yes it is possible to do. If you have any questions, send me a PM with your phone number and we can talk you through it.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know if bumpers and wipers are required on a roadster in California?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Legally?

The California Vehicle Code does require both bumpers and wipers. Most of us run either quick-jacks or over-riders which could be considered bumpers. I have over-riders on the front and a hoop bumper on the rear. I don't have wipers and have been on the road since 2007. Plenty of Rain-X, don't drive when the chance of rain is >50% and will take the citation if stopped.

It's a chance that I've chosen to take.

You will be able to register the car without them but you will have to decide if it's something that you wish to risk.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response Ray, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was a PCV valve from air cleaner to valve cover required?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilmore View Post
    In my case, no it wasn't. But, I've been to the same BAR referee with three other builders and he required them to have one. And, it had to be fuel/oil rated hose.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilmore View Post
    I failed the inspection the first time for that very reason. I needed the type 4 style breather and the hose going to the air cleaner. I have since made the modification and I have my follow up appointment this Friday. Hopefully this will be my last step. As of Tuesday, I should be street legal. I think it varies from site to site. I was told the other gentleman that does the inspections doesn't usually care about the open element style breather. Just like the DMV, consistently inconsistent.
    Last edited by esff32; 04-05-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Current SB100 process

I just got through the process (got plates yesterday) and the initial write-up in this blog was a huge help. The DMV clerk was impressed how prepared I was. My experience was slightly different in terms of the order that you get things done. Here is how mine went.

1) At DMV 3-Jan-17 7:00 am with the requisite papers filled out. The clerk had to refer to her loose leaf notebook to get through the process. Day 1: pay taxes (9.25 % of receipt total) and reg. fees; get single day operating permit for brake and lamp certification. NO SEQUENCE CERTIFICATE. Clerk did mention that the sequence numbers used to be gone by 10:00 am on the first day of the year they operate, BUT, "they have not run out in ten years". I thought OK but risky.

2) Brake and lamp test - no problem $130 later, back to DMV for another operating permit...

3) CHP VIN assignment - no problem, trooper used frame SN. Back to DMV for long term operating sticker for smog referee.

4) Asked DMV "receptionist" for the sequence certificate, she said no, I need to get my smog certification. In the DMV lot I called for a smog referee appointment. They said "no, I need a sequence certificate"... aggravated at this point. Head back into the DMV, dealt with the same "receptionist" and she said, I am not kidding "that's right you need a sequence certificate" and gave me a number for service. Waited my turn and got the same clerk that handled my first trip. After 30 minutes or so, she dealt with her supervisor and they made the request to Sacramento...It will be mailed to me to 2-3 weeks!

5) After 3 week and 1 day I went to DMV having received nothing...the supervisor would call Sacramento tomorrow as the person was not currently available. Assuring me they would call me the next day in the am. 12:00 the next day, no call back BUT, in the mail was my sequence certificate.

Almost there...

6) Made an appointment with smog referee. He spent 55 of the 60 minutes with me reviewing the paper work, and he took some pictures. All done? Nope, he will need to talk to his manager and get back to me, "maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe in three weeks" he could not say. He did insist on PCV to the air intake...

7) Called back the next day and he will give me a sticker, BUT, I need to make an appointment with smog referee appointment line. GRRRRRR!

8) Got "the last appointment available this month" for about a week away. Went to appointment, he checked the PCV plumbing and gave me the sticker and paper work for DMV.

9) Following day I went to DMV and got plates.

The whole process took from 3-Jan-17 to 30-Mar-17. One issue I had was it has been a wet winter in NorCAl and with a topless car you get picky about when you drive it. This can be done, you just need to follow THEIR process.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this forum is about kit cars, but has anyone gone though this process with a car built from scratch? The OP stated "In order to get a temporary VIN number into the computer, you must bring down the Manufacturers Statement of Origin (the "MSO" which should have been generated by the kit manufacturer and shipped to you with your kit)."

If you designed your own chassis, body, etc. and started out with raw materials like straight metal tube, carbon fiber weave fabric, etc. you would not have a "MSO" Would you still be able to do a SB100 registration with such a car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Creator View Post
    I know this forum is about kit cars, but has anyone gone though this process with a car built from scratch? The OP stated "In order to get a temporary VIN number into the computer, you must bring down the Manufacturers Statement of Origin (the "MSO" which should have been generated by the kit manufacturer and shipped to you with your kit)."

If you designed your own chassis, body, etc. and started out with raw materials like straight metal tube, carbon fiber weave fabric, etc. you would not have a "MSO" Would you still be able to do a SB100 registration with such a car?
    You can register a scratch built (Home Made) car, as stated in the CA DMV SPCN Registration Requirements Website:

In your statement of construction you can provide an explanation as to why you do not have proof of purchase of any major component. Why don't you have proof of purchase? Because you created it.

HTH,

Post Thanks / Like
    Do I need rear view mirror in my dash to pass CHP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to DMV today to start the process. They told me I had to go to CHP to get a VIN before they would give me a SB100. Paid the fees and got a temp driving sticker. Anyone else do it this way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skfunk View Post
    Went to DMV today to start the process. They told me I had to go to CHP to get a VIN before they would give me a SB100. Paid the fees and got a temp driving sticker. Anyone else do it this way?
    Same for me except they did not issue me a temporary driving sticker. I turned in all the forms and paid my fees. The clerk called SacramentoDMV and they would not issue me an SB100 number until after CHP Vin assignment. I was expecting a temporary driving sticker but they only issued me a one day (open date) driving permit to go to CHP and a one day permit to get the brake and lamp inspection. I started this process with DMV back in January and the first Sacramento County CHP appointment was May 29! My body was still in paint at that time and i missed that appointment. My new appointment is set for July 29. I did notice on my DMV paperwork that a temporary VIN is assigned to the vehicle but they did not give me a temporary driving sticker.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    You will need brake and light test and then to referee.

I am working hard to get to Brake and light test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if you need an appointment to go visit the CHP or can you walk in ? I just tried calling the Oceanside, CA office. I get a message that they are busy, then the phone goes dead.

mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast